art of [insert all of my writing projects]

namio

It's 2021, and in my general to-dos is basically a portrait of most of my current characters, just for reference's sake. Might as well post. :blob_hmm_two:

In the interest of not uploading large files in a forum (because breaking the formatting sucks... I don't like it either), the thumbnails are linked to the bigger picture on my deviantart. Or, if it doesn't work, you can try checking that or ask me (shrugs). Many of these are posted on my Twitter.
Also, my scanner sucks and leaves lines on my watercolors... Sad.

Swapped out an art on For February's Rain. Updated Feb 23 2021
Changed current favorites, added my new art twitter, deleted some pieces. Updated Feb 2 2021
Oops, only 10 pics a post. Updated on Jan 4 2021.

Current Favorites

yx4-3.jpg ao ming-3jpg.jpg for feb rain cover2-1.jpg

For February's Rain

From Tomorrow On, I'll Be--

Gathered, A Pool of Wildflowers

Untitled Project

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Looking good so far <3

Got the link to your DeviantArt, but you also mentioned a Twitter?

namio

Updated first post with the other two projects I have simmering in the background... Looks like there's a limit to 10 pictures a post so later I'll probably start linking it unless I actually like it enough to feature it there LOL
Otherwise, I'll just post it sporadically as I go... :blob_hmm:

Damn, its good. Kinda remings me of manhwas.
I've gotten a couple of different comments on both weibo and twitter, but this is probably the first time I've seen "reminiscent of manhwas". Thanks a lot! :'D

Looking good so far <3

Got the link to your DeviantArt, but you also mentioned a Twitter?
Thank you! <3 My twitter is a mess, but it's @gegeenthusiast.

Ahhhh I wanna commission u :blob_aww:
Aww, thank you! I'm not sure what the rules are here about linking to commissions, but I do have it open on my twitter~ It's the pinned post there, on @gegeenthusiast.

namio

aowei.jpg
Ao Wei, a character from the untitled project I'll never get to... Some time into the drawing phase, I realized I forgot to check the lamellar style of ancient Chinese armor and had to work it in late 🤡 Could only find real references of the Han-style, too. I'm not dedicated enough to dive into Baidu for references... In the end I went screw it, it's a fantasy setting before the dynasties even existed :blob_hmm_two:

The_Long_Serpent

Eccentric Creator
View attachment 5773
Ao Wei, a character from the untitled project I'll never get to... Some time into the drawing phase, I realized I forgot to check the lamellar style of ancient Chinese armor and had to work it in late 🤡 Could only find real references of the Han-style, too. I'm not dedicated enough to dive into Baidu for references... In the end I went screw it, it's a fantasy setting before the dynasties even existed :blob_hmm_two:
If you want to go really deep, research on how armor was made and how that fits into their setting

namio

If you want to go really deep, research on how armor was made and how that fits into their setting
I already did that, haha. But lamellar is a style that encompasses a really broad range of both shape of plates and construction, and was used across different cultures across a pretty wide timespan. On Wikipedia they have references for Han and Nanyue styles, and more honestly, but due to the fact that it was impossible for me to even guess at how they're constructed, those were my two options if I don't bother delving into other sources. In the end, given the flexibility of the fantasy era, I did decide to go with bronze due to (waves hand) something something Taotie motifs in various dings.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_armour

namio

main cast.jpg
I don't particularly like it, given that I had a bit of an art hiatus not long before I drew this a year ago, but designs for the four main characters in For February's Rain. The designs hadn't changed (much) per se, I just found the art really stiff LMAO
In any case, character arts are mostly for my own enjoyment, since I try to let my readers (all 2 of you, love ya) make up what the characters look like. (But NOT how their weapons, which I can and will describe in 500 words and 3 paragraphs in exhausting detail)

namio

taobai10.jpg

Originally planned to be a watercolor piece but I messed up the watercolors so I just used a WIP photo to trace out the lineart again digitally... Honestly thought that I might be able to get away with posting this where my family can see, but I think it ended up too.... yeah.

EDIT: Anyway, some more of Bai Ze/Bai Mingyuan
bai ze.jpg bai ze form.jpg
Went on a reading binge the past 2 days and I'm really surprised at how much more prevalent in daily life Bai Ze was, as an auspicious beast. Also surprised that he was in now-North-Korea's Imperial Guards (?) banner. In any case, I went with the dragon head + beast body version of Bai Ze for this project.​

Last edited:

namio

wy execution-1.jpg

For February's Rain prologue inspired art I did while sitting thru horror game night with friends... Was mostly in the mood for a simple thing I could layer a lot

Actual scene isn't like this at all but sometimes you just need to draw a sword to the throat, yanno?

namio

hongshi-1.jpg

WIP; trying to do a series of art using palettes I wouldn't normally use so that I don't end up a stagnant one-trick court jester...
Also did something similar with gouache since I wanted to study the medium more in 2021, but I haven't scanned it since I'm lazy.

namio

for feb rain cover2-1.jpg

Entered book 2 of For February's Rain a couple of weeks ago, so it's as good an occasion as any to draw myself a new cover.

To my greatest of surprises, the MVP of this one was gouache... I had some trouble with the granulating properties of Cobalt Blue Hue, which I had hoped would lie flat and nice. Turns out it made everything grainy, which isn't as big a problem until I had to lie a flat wash for the sky and it looked like it had chickenpox... but I had some leftover gouache on my palette that's about the right color and it flattened it real nice. I allowed for some of that graininess to show through, but I'm really really happy with how much touch-ups gouache had allowed me to do once all the watercolor parts were done.