What is your favorite method to get inspiration or motivation ?

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Imagine that when you are looking for something new to add to their stories they look for or do something from where they can get that moment where you say, this is where my story will follow. Something that you know that they can give new ideas or inspiration to continue.

For example, I think that what has worked the most for me is listening to music, whether it's something pop from the radio, or maybe listening to the soundtrack of a video game on YouTube, or something I listen to on the street and imagine some kind of story. that matches the music. And that's when that moment happens where history writes itself.

As an example of the above, I would put this one here. I love the Ace Combat franchise, and a mark of the series is its music, it probably has the best musicians in video games. The music above is from the last mission of Ace Combar Zero, where the protagonist (the player) faces his ex-best friend in a duel to the death, in music flamenco represents exactly that, two people who know each other perfectly having a duel like a dance in the air between planes.Well, for example, something similar gave me the idea with this music. The protagonist faces someone in a duel, but instead of airplanes, a duel between gunmen, like the old west, but unlike movies where everything is resolved in one shot, the duel really lasts a long time. The two of them have to reload their weapons and they have to shoot a lot and by using covers they both seem to be dancing all over town trying to kill each other.

So what other things give you inspiration for your stories?

Driving on a road, watching a movie, reading other stories to get ideas from or if they just look up at the clouds and come up with something.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Honestly, for me, it's just... existing. If my mind isn't occupied with something, it drifts off to dream of untold stories, events, developments. To the point where I come up with more possibilities than it's possible to implement in my stories. It always has been like that. Naturally, some other, external things can spark inspiration, but I usually have enough of self-inspiration, or rather, too much of it.

ZesshiLavi

No idea, it came and goes randomly.
Sometimes from a dream, sometimes from a random spark.

Kaguro

Other novels. Not saying I copy other works, but all content and all ideas come from somewhere. Even if that's just a cool concept for a monster, or a fantasy setting you want to try adding on. Nobody invents things in a vacuum.

Just as LotR caused a million more fantasy books to start up, modern genres are a work in progress that continually influences itself and other genres. Scribblehub itself draws heavy from Chinese/Japanese/Korean webnovel influence, not to mention the large impact anime/manga has on nearly all of the stories you'll see here. If you have no ideas try reading or watching something that you enjoy.

DreamOfRen

The salty tears of my enemies as I step over their sniveling bodies.
:sweating_profusely:

J/k.
I feed my inner child. Do things I like until I feel a bit more content.
I set the mood. Music to help me think less and focus.
Also a clean environment helps. The more clutter you have around, the more cluttered your brain will feel.

Also seeing my enemies cry.:blob_cookie:

Ununique

Messiah of Alternate Accounts.
Other novels. Not saying I copy other works, but all content and all ideas come from somewhere. Even if that's just a cool concept for a monster, or a fantasy setting you want to try adding on. Nobody invents things in a vacuum.

Just as LotR caused a million more fantasy books to start up, modern genres are a work in progress that continually influences itself and other genres. Scribblehub itself draws heavy from Chinese/Japanese/Korean webnovel influence, not to mention the large impact anime/manga has on nearly all of the stories you'll see here. If you have no ideas try reading or watching something that you enjoy.

Honestly same. But I have to admit the current story I'm writing was created out of spite for another story which I still respected but didn't enjoy the characterization. However I'm kinda sad to find out the author's missing in action, indefinite hiatus and such. I stopped reading it long before but knowing they aren't around anymore is kind of melancholy. Either way yeah I can respect anyone who can understand where their ideas come from and how they are twisting or adapting it to fit their story especially if the execution is done well and can even be said to improve the original source it came from.

dvelasquez

Epic Music. I go to youtube, look for any reproduction list from my favourite channels, put them on with a coffee and an open word page in my laptop, and just start drifting away into dreamland/fantasyland. In a sense, it's like watching 'movies' inside of my head. I have a rough guide-line, and just let the story take place from there. That at least for my original stuff.

For fanfics, I do the same, but it's more like "I have this base, what would happen if I introduce this one character or stuff." and let the movie play from there.

Also, as someone said before, I also take from dreams, and actually, my first (non-published and kept-secret) novel, was called Chronicles of a Dream, as I just went with what happened in my dreams, so it was like Final Fantasy stuff, a lot of stories under one "name", but it helps that I have really lively dreams (lucid ones with no-perfect control on your surroundings other than you and what you do with the scenery around you) really frequently. So I have a lot to take from. My last dream (Of today) could actually become a story if I tune some details and add a few more stuff on it. Maybe a one-shot, maybe a short-novel, that would depend on how much I would spend on it.

D

Deleted member 45782

Stuff that I think is great for making a story:

Daydreaming of what-if scenarios (the positive unrealistic one and the downright negative ones). Often they become short little scenes which can be inserted into any story that fits it.

Dreams - jot them down before you forget 'em. often times they mix some stuff we face in reality but its so bizzare the way they mixed it can be a totally different story. sometimes you may not remember all the details in the dream but you got the basic idea of what it is, and then fill in the gaps..

Songs, music - If if the song already has its own story or meaning. Lots of time I kinda listen to how it sounds and just go off imagining another story/scene. An epic music? Perfect for some badass battle scene. A melanocholy sc

Feelings. When we are down or stressed, sometimes we write to escape from reality. Sometimes we want to express our emotions. Like gloomy? A melancholy story coming right up.

Trends right now: things that influence us. like certain social norms. sometimes its portrayed as one thing and one-dimensional and a lot of misconceptions about it, and you want to show another side to the story people don't always think about.

D

Deleted member 45782

The salty tears of my enemies as I step over their sniveling bodies.
:sweating_profusely:

J/k.
I feed my inner child. Do things I like until I feel a bit more content.
I set the mood. Music to help me think less and focus.
Also a clean environment helps. The more clutter you have around, the more cluttered your brain will feel.

Also seeing my enemies cry.:blob_cookie:
Reminds me I need to declutter my desk haha. It does feel that. Too much stuff to move around. Less open clean space to blueprint an idea down.

D

Deleted member 45782

That is true. A lot of stories are inspired off of our stories. A lot of stories are great and we like to think fanfics when it comes to mind. I didn't know what it was called before, but I used to think of my favorite stories in my head as a kid and pretend to insert self as some special magical character in the story and see how things change.

Sometimes we think about the different paths a story could take but didn't. What if things had played out differently? What if they decide not do it? What if...? That results in lot of stories within archetypes but can yield varied results such as different endings, different character developments, etc.
Eventually you conjure up enough what-ifs you can diverge it your own story.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Honestly, for me, it's just... existing. If my mind isn't occupied with something, it drifts off to dream of untold stories, events, developments. To the point where I come up with more possibilities than it's possible to implement in my stories. It always has been like that. Naturally, some other, external things can spark inspiration, but I usually have enough of self-inspiration, or rather, too much of it.
While sitting in the toilet after pooping
The duality of Man™

HappyVainGlory

One way I get inspiration is from rewriting snippets of stories I find interesting to see how they work. Something about that gets the creative juices flowing for me since I get curious to see if I could replicate the effect, or at least try mimicking it. That usually gets the ball rolling enough to work on other projects.

Similarly, I sometimes just pick random snippets from stories, good or bad, and rewrite it in my own style, as if I was the original author. Kind of like faking it until you make it.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
People tend to underestimate the power of sleeping. I mean you waste time and stuff but sleeping 'resets' everything; feelings, thoughts, stress and there is even a bonus dream if you're healthy.

After waking up everything felt empty but all you need to do is read or play games and the bland feel can be replaced with happiness.

And this way of motivation applies to everything I do.
though people say that i'm being edgy despite me being serious