art of [insert all of my writing projects]

namio

ihateyewan1-0.png ihateyewan1-1.png
i hate them so much.... i love them

Also I forgot to mention that I updated the link to my twitter. I made an art acc the other week like I should've ages ago. So now there's an account with the art and significantly less shitposts and long threads...

namio

yx005-2.jpg

Practicing flowers by drawing Yan Xu, MC of the story I'll probably never write because I'm not masochistic enough to think about "how to reasonably pull a country together from being torn asunder by civil war between princes why did I come up with the plot after reading about the War of the Eight Princes".

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
View attachment 6308

Practicing flowers by drawing Yan Xu, MC of the story I'll probably never write because I'm not masochistic enough to think about "how to reasonably pull a country together from being torn asunder by civil war between princes why did I come up with the plot after reading about the War of the Eight Princes".
Such pretty flowers :blob_aww:
Do you use masking fluid or is it pure patience and skill?

namio

Such pretty flowers :blob_aww:
Do you use masking fluid or is it pure patience and skill?
Mostly some practice and having had drawn some chrysanthemums digitally before :blob_okay:
And also some layering? At the very start I had a very faint layer of where I think the petals would be. It's like this faint greyish pink, almost white. Only after that did I add the pink petals, since I wanted it to have a bit of a gradient outwards. It's a lot easier when you don't also have to think about where the petals would be~ Then I added another layer to darken things I needed darkened, then lined the rest. It's not very comprehensive since I was doing it before bed, but you can see some of the WIP pics for the flower here I suppose?

But I did test it out in watercolors before I started, and I've done a couple of sketches of the flower before ^^

yan xu flowers.jpg xiaoyan10.jpg

tiaf

Mostly some practice and having had drawn some chrysanthemums digitally before :blob_okay:
And also some layering? At the very start I had a very faint layer of where I think the petals would be. It's like this faint greyish pink, almost white. Only after that did I add the pink petals, since I wanted it to have a bit of a gradient outwards. It's a lot easier when you don't also have to think about where the petals would be~ Then I added another layer to darken things I needed darkened, then lined the rest. It's not very comprehensive since I was doing it before bed, but you can see some of the WIP pics for the flower here I suppose?

But I did test it out in watercolors before I started, and I've done a couple of sketches of the flower before ^^

View attachment 6328View attachment 6329
I see, I always only think about the background after I did the character, which isn’t the best approach. (>∧<)
It doesn’t help that I forget that I wanted to add something when the color is too faint; I end up coloring over it :sweat_smile:
Especially when I do it shortly before going to bed. You’re not alone.
Maybe I should try sketching digitally too. It sounds more accurate than my mini thumbnail sketches or scrapping the paper with sketching over and over '-'

Ah, after looking at these amazing artworks, makes me want to mess with paper and watercolor again:blob_happy:

namio

I see, I always only think about the background after I did the character, which isn’t the best approach. (>∧<)
It doesn’t help that I forget that I wanted to add something when the color is too faint; I end up coloring over it :sweat_smile:
Especially when I do it shortly before going to bed. You’re not alone.
Maybe I should try sketching digitally too. It sounds more accurate than my mini thumbnail sketches or scrapping the paper with sketching over and over '-'
I don't usually sketch digitally tbh, but I do the usual thumbnails, usually with some bigger close-ups for details I don't want to miss. Since I usually do character art, usually it means certain expressions to convey certain moods and light sources etc.
photo_2021-02-14_21-25-20.jpg yx4-3.jpg
For these, I essentially used 2 core paints for almost everything: perylene violet and indigo. Initially it was supposed to have a grey but the one I used resulted in such a disaster, this is actually my redraw of the original LOL The only additional paint in this painting are alizarin crimson hue (to redden part of the face, very lightly). Neutral tones you see are largely a mix of the two paints.

photo_2021-02-14_21-25-24.jpg wan yu002-2.jpg
As for this one, I had a color palette in mind so what my thumbnail focused on was mostly the shading.

Just thought I'd show these because seeing only the final results, especially with trad art, used to make me wonder how artists I like pull it off LOL
I really get you though, about forgetting details... I have ADHD so I have pretty darn small attention span, despite hyperfocus. Usually I tend to need actual notes around my final thumbnail to make sure I don't forget...
In any case though, do feel free to ping when you play around with more paints, hehe. I really enjoy seeing people draw, especially in whatever media they're interested in. It just Brings Me Joy.

Ah, after looking at these amazing artworks, makes me want to mess with paper and watercolor again:blob_happy:

Please ping me in your thread if you do pick up watercolors again! :blob_hide: I love seeing people's forays and journeys!

tiaf

In any case though, do feel free to ping when you play around with more paints, hehe. I really enjoy seeing people draw, especially in whatever media they're interested in. It just Brings Me Joy.
There are so much media I want to try/pick up again, like alcohol markers, I already have the lineart ready :blob_melt:
But I really want to try proper ink painting, just waiting for a better time to buy it. (It’s snowy where I am, don’t want it to get lost midway)

namio

There are so much media I want to try/pick up again, like alcohol markers, I already have the lineart ready :blob_melt:
But I really want to try proper ink painting, just waiting for a better time to buy it. (It’s snowy where I am, don’t want it to get lost midway)
Alcohol markers are coughreallyexpensivecough tough, I wish you all the luck! I reckon you'll be posting your attempts? :blob_hmm:
Inks are REALLY fun. For reasons I don't understand either I actually bought my inkstone and ink stick in some random arts and crafts store on the side of Erfurt's hauftbahnhof. It's pretty expensive, but it's not like I'll eat it up in 5 years. I got the ink stick there too. There's a site that I've been reading up a bit as I reassess my art supply inventory, that talks about the inks. It has a store too? I have songyan and jingyan inksticks that I'm faaar from using up, but boy I'm really tempted by how pretty some of them are LMAO

tiaf

Erfurt's hauftbahnhof
O.O you were so near me, my hometown is a jump away

Alcohol markers are coughreallyexpensivecough tough
You can say that the younger me without responsibility spend all her money on markers and art supplies I can use now. At least the younger me wasn’t stupid enough the waste them on copy paper :blob_uwu: (a shop near me once sold out all touch markers for 1-2€ each, and another also sold copies for 2,5€ because they stopped to sell them, so I left all brakes behind me)
Spectre is also a good brand for markers. (Also bought in sale. Lucky me has such fortitude encounters.)

There's a site that I've been reading up a bit as I reassess my art supply inventory, that talks about the inks. It has a store too? I have songyan and jingyan inksticks that I'm faaar from using up, but boy I'm really tempted by how pretty some of them are LMAO
They areee. I know they are expensive, the nearby art supply shop in my hometown also sold them, though not as pretty as them.

A friend who is well versed in ink painting wants to ship me a standard ink set from Asia since it’s much cheaper there. A whole set with brush, paper and ink (in a tube) for just 15$ O.O

I tried to imitate ink with watercolor, but the result is just not the same as with proper ink and xuan paper. 🥲

namio

O.O you were so near me, my hometown is a jump away

You can say that the younger me without responsibility spend all her money on markers and art supplies I can use now. At least the younger me wasn’t stupid enough the waste them on copy paper :blob_uwu: (a shop near me once sold out all touch markers for 1-2€ each, and another also sold copies for 2,5€ because they stopped to sell them, so I left all brakes behind me)
Spectre is also a good brand for markers. (Also bought in sale. Lucky me has such fortitude encounters.)

They areee. I know they are expensive, the nearby art supply shop in my hometown also sold them, though not as pretty as them.

A friend who is well versed in ink painting wants to ship me a standard ink set from Asia since it’s much cheaper there. A whole set with brush, paper and ink (in a tube) for just 15$ O.O

I tried to imitate ink with watercolor, but the result is just not the same as with proper ink and xuan paper. 🥲
I stayed in Ilmenau for a year. For a small mountain town, I honestly saw a LOT more goats around my dormitory in Asia than I saw there 😔

Okay, younger you Knows what was up and did the smart move buying it then LOL I tend to miss art sales, the only thing I remember to get seems to be Netto's stock of half euro Ritter's Sport--

Yeah, but most everything is cheaper in Asia LMAO... I got a jingyan inkstick for $2. Looking at some 30 sheets xuan paper for roughly $6... A bit expensive, but still pretty affordable. I guess with how expensive art supplies can get in Germany, I would definitely consider it, even with shipping costs. Though you might want to look into whether they let you send liquids... Maybe you can get some inks in bottles locally. Grinding your own is an experience full of joy and probably some frustration though. I personally love it, some people find it tedious LOL

Agreed, though. Watercolors don't come close to imitating how beautifully deep inks can be. Really truly *not* my best work, but it's one I did half of in ink and ink just has an expressiveness that watercolor is too delicate to replicate.

yxy002-1.jpg

tiaf

Agreed, though. Watercolors don't come close to imitating how beautifully deep inks can be. Really truly *not* my best work, but it's one I did half of in ink and ink just has an expressiveness that watercolor is too delicate to replicate.
I know, that’s why I felt like buying ink 😭
I love just how beautiful and expressive one stroke can be. And it’s still plenty beautiful 😍

Grinding your own is an experience full of joy and probably some frustration though. I personally love it, some people find it tedious LOL
I honestly thought about buying an ink stone, just to grind it once in my life TT.TT
And to look at it because they are plenty pretty as they are.

Though you might want to look into whether they let you send liquids...
I didn’t consider that! Maybe ink stones are the safest option. They won’t spoil easily either :blob_hmm_two:

I tend to miss art sales, the only thing I remember to get seems to be Netto's stock of half euro Ritter's Sport--
Chocolate gives you happiness too~ I wouldn’t say no to it either :blob_melt:
For a small mountain town, I honestly saw a LOT more goats around my dormitory in Asia than I saw there 😔
The only time I get to see goats is in the zoo. >.>

namio

I know, that’s why I felt like buying ink 😭
I love just how beautiful and expressive one stroke can be. And it’s still plenty beautiful 😍

I honestly thought about buying an ink stone, just to grind it once in my life TT.TT
And to look at it because they are plenty pretty as they are.

I didn’t consider that! Maybe ink stones are the safest option. They won’t spoil easily either :blob_hmm_two:

Chocolate gives you happiness too~ I wouldn’t say no to it either :blob_melt:

The only time I get to see goats is in the zoo. >.>
Inkstones can be worth it, I think! It's just very nice, and it's frankly not that much more of a hassle than ink bottles. I've used both and I think at most, ink stones dry quicker because you're only making small pools of ink at one time... That's about it. Just add more water and grind some more, in my opinion. I don't think Germany is particularly bad with like, art supplies molding, but maybe you can keep your inksticks in an airtight container or something? :blob_hmm_two: It's really humid here in the tropics so...

I was so surprised to see goats in the zoo LMAO like why would you go so far. Why are there chickens. I see them so often in front of my dorm--

____

Anyway have been missing because I was busy with RL and also got some stuff printed to test out various papers LOL

EuZKsXcVEAA7F8W.jpg

tiaf

Inkstones can be worth it, I think! It's just very nice, and it's frankly not that much more of a hassle than ink bottles. I've used both and I think at most, ink stones dry quicker because you're only making small pools of ink at one time... That's about it. Just add more water and grind some more, in my opinion. I don't think Germany is particularly bad with like, art supplies molding, but maybe you can keep your inksticks in an airtight container or something? :blob_hmm_two: It's really humid here in the tropics so...

I was so surprised to see goats in the zoo LMAO like why would you go so far. Why are there chickens. I see them so often in front of my dorm--

____

Anyway have been missing because I was busy with RL and also got some stuff printed to test out various papers LOL

View attachment 6361
They look pretty 🤩 are you going to open an online shop?

inkstones sound more handy for short time use :blob_hmm_two: perfect for me actually

Ask kids and most will tell you that they haven’t seen chicken and goats irl yet, except they live on a farm. Some even thought cows are purple because milka had a purple cow mascot o.o Goats and chicken are exotic animals in the city jungle :blob_joy:

namio

They look pretty 🤩 are you going to open an online shop?

inkstones sound more handy for short time use :blob_hmm_two: perfect for me actually

Ask kids and most will tell you that they haven’t seen chicken and goats irl yet, except they live on a farm. Some even thought cows are purple because milka had a purple cow mascot o.o Goats and chicken are exotic animals in the city jungle :blob_joy:
A trial run alongside a p4p for a small fandom! I was just gonna have it as an option and send it in sets...

Inkstones are also pretty :blob_okay:

:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: That's so strange to me... I'm in a decent neighborhood in this country and my neighbors have pet chickens, geese...

_____

WIP of one of February's Rain's main characters,,, I've been really into that story, I feel kinda bad for people waiting for the other story LOL It's just that MC and ML of it finally teamed up to wreak havoc AND the tension between MC and this character, ie his bestie, is gonna start from here... Everything's heading for the worse, and I'm here for it !!

photo_2021-02-21_07-36-25.jpg

Also, a bit weird, but now I'm contemplating adding a banner with link on my signature... My story isn't exactly what I would publicly recommend to a lot of people despite it being pretty typical adventure/mystery, sometimes light-hearted one... And for the most part I'm not really hungry for readers because I have wonderful friends willing to listen to me LOL
I don't know... hmm.

Last edited:

tiaf

Also, a bit weird, but now I'm contemplating adding a banner with link on my signature...
My signature is actually only there because everyone got one...but no updates in months? Pfft, at this point it’s just some pretty decoration.
A trial run alongside a p4p for a small fandom! I was just gonna have it as an option and send it in sets...
That’s nice
I’m not in any fandom so never really thought about printing anything.

I've been really into that story, I feel kinda bad for people waiting for the other story LOL
That’s me when I decided to start a new series :sweating_profusely:
Or me who decided to draw a comic strip and delayed the update
It's just that MC and ML of it finally teamed up to wreak havoc AND the tension between MC and this character, ie his bestie, is gonna start from here... Everything's heading for the worse, and I'm here for it !!
Tension :blob_hide:

namio

My signature is actually only there because everyone got one...but no updates in months? Pfft, at this point it’s just some pretty decoration.

That’s nice
I’m not in any fandom so never really thought about printing anything.

That’s me when I decided to start a new series :sweating_profusely:
Or me who decided to draw a comic strip and delayed the update

Tension :blob_hide:
:sweat_smile: Mood. I think I updated my other story once a week ago so it doesn't quite fall to 0 chapter/week HAHA oops
It's not like they're long or good chapters... or that I have more than 2 readers, but they seem to find comfort in some of the chapters so I do feel bad.

I've had a small con phase I suppose, was there since cons were pretty new in my country, but I'm rarely in big fandoms and when I do join something and it ends up a big phenomenon, I leave LOL
But I just like having prints? They're so pretty...

And yes!!! My story has 4 main characters, two of which is the MC and ML but there's also MC's BFF, sworn sister and his parallel, and a kid MC adopted/kidnapped and is now raising. Thing is, ML is kinda shady as hell and BFF doesn't like that MC is hanging out with, yanno, demonic sect leader, but turns out they're now conspiring together LOL
Jiejie's not happy... Jiejie very not happy :blob_hmph:

tiaf

And yes!!! My story has 4 main characters, two of which is the MC and ML but there's also MC's BFF, sworn sister and his parallel, and a kid MC adopted/kidnapped and is now raising. Thing is, ML is kinda shady as hell and BFF doesn't like that MC is hanging out with, yanno, demonic sect leader, but turns out they're now conspiring together LOL
Jiejie's not happy... Jiejie very not happy :blob_hmph:
Hehe, shady ML lead MC astray. :blob_joy:

I've had a small con phase I suppose, was there since cons were pretty new in my country, but I'm rarely in big fandoms and when I do join something and it ends up a big phenomenon, I leave LOL
But I just like having prints? They're so pretty...
It has been years since I went to a con. It was either no time or too far away and the stuff there is really expensive.
Mood. I think I updated my other story once a week ago so it doesn't quite fall to 0 chapter/week HAHA oops
It's not like they're long or good chapters... or that I have more than 2 readers, but they seem to find comfort in some of the chapters so I do feel bad.
Ey, one of my story will hit one year hiatus soon.