What is wrong with this snek?

LotsChrono

To me, the head doesn’t pop-out enough when compared to the rest of its body. Though that could be intentional, as the body always draws my attention which in turn makes me notice its shape that looks vaguely like the infinity symbol.

If that’s what you’re going for, then that’s a perfect pic.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
It looks like letter S- Wait a minute...
I think it needs to have the jagged corner of the upper skin just like your cover art
And the color isn't consistent; you know the front underbelly that is dark blue? Try making it light one and the upper skin that is light should be dark.

Try making it like and maybe it could work? Anyways the thing just doesn't look much like the snake on your cover...

Edit: oh yeah, you forgot the snake tongue

Reisinling

It looks like letter S- Wait a minute...
I think it needs to have the jagged corner of the upper skin just like your cover art
And the color isn't consistent; you know the front underbelly that is dark blue? Try making it light one and the upper skin that is light should be dark.

Try making it like and maybe it could work? Anyways the thing just doesn't look much like the snake on your cover...

Edit: oh yeah, you forgot the snake tongue

I will try to add the jagged underbelly, I'm just always torn on what level of detail makes it look the best, which is especially important in the sudo-minimalist flat art. I will take into consideration the color comment as well, as I mentioned for now the shape is the thing that I want to fix, and then make color corrections, I think I will go with gradient eventually though we will see

The snake is not described in detail in the book (apart from the skin color), so their look changes depending on what I feel like and what I find references for.

Also, according to the handful of pictures of snakes showing their fangs I have, it seems the tongue gets retracted/hidden when baring their fangs.

Reisinling

To me, the head doesn’t pop-out enough when compared to the rest of its body. Though that could be intentional, as the body always draws my attention which in turn makes me notice its shape that looks vaguely like the infinity symbol.

If that’s what you’re going for, then that’s a perfect pic.
Hmmm yeah, It's already the object that's not in the center of the composition, it's also smaller, so I either have to change the color or move it to different position. Hmmm. Maybe I should put its part of the neck to the front, with it, and then change colors to brighter ones. Or I could just darken most of the body to make it more mysterious.

PunishedKom

The fangs don’t look aligned to me. If this is just vector art have you considered tracing over an established pic? Might look a lot better. Also the head is positioned weird, like it’s separate from the body,

Spica66

I'm gonna use this snake and later put it in my next cover version. The shape is important here, which parts look unnatural/wrong? I want to know and fix it before using it in 20 versions of a cover.

I think the fang inside doesn't stand out, the contrast between fangs and mouth in general.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I'm gonna use this snake and later put it in my next cover version. The shape is important here, which parts look unnatural/wrong? I want to know and fix it before using it in 20 versions of a cover.

It's fine, apart from the fact that the snake's body looks like a mebius ribbon. The colouring is strange, man.

What's a mebius ribbon, you ask? This.