Information about at which chapter people stop reading/drop novel

Reisinling

Occasionally readers drop novels (remove from reading list). Or just stop reading. It would be nice to have a feature allowing us to see which chapters have the highest drop rates, and which chapters were read by how many of people that have us on the reading list- so if for example half of readers just stopped reading the novel at chapter 10, we would see that.

EternalSunset0

I think you could already kinda figure it out to an extent by looking at the views and pinpoint where the drop offs are. As for the remove from reading list, yeah, that could come in handy.

D

Deleted member 45782

Isn't that's what Story Statistics show? Like on Recent Readers?
That status shows at what part they have stopped or currently read up to, right?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
That status shows at what part they have stopped or currently read up to, right?
Well, you can't see your complete reader list, though...

EternalSunset0

For the recent readers you have to manually click the checkboxes as a read I think. So even if I finish something, if I never touch the checkboxes it will show that I'm on chapter 1

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
For the recent readers you have to manually click the checkboxes as a read I think. So even if I finish something, if I never touch the checkboxes it will show that I'm on chapter 1
And that, in fact, is sometimes a bit too much work for SH readers... xD

D

Deleted member 45782

Oh I see...got it. Thanks. Was always wondering about the statuses. :D

namio

I know this is a primarily author-oriented forum, but getting details about individual readership's reading habits, even if just limited to your novels, feel intrusive to me. Even if it's something as "simple" as when someone stops reading a story. People have their own schedule and habits that do not need to exist in line with an author's. They could stockpile to binge, they could be busy, and none of it is an author's business, even if it makes them feel like there is nobody reading. Readers are not statistics nor are they a concept of consumers to your goods.

Reisinling

I know this is a primarily author-oriented forum, but getting details about individual readership's reading habits, even if just limited to your novels, feel intrusive to me. Even if it's something as "simple" as when someone stops reading a story. People have their own schedule and habits that do not need to exist in line with an author's. They could stockpile to binge, they could be busy, and none of it is an author's business, even if it makes them feel like there is nobody reading. Readers are not statistics nor are they a concept of consumers to your goods.
I understand, but this data could be presented in an anonymous way, so that instead of seeing XXX read this chapter, we could see 13/80 regular readers read this chapter.

But there is an argument ot be made that this data should only be available after chapter had like 10-20 views, to avoid others reading it

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I don't get your complaints. Why would it be intrusive in any way? You'd just be getting numbers about a bunch of anonymous, like... "35% of your readers dropped the story at chapter 15" or something.

Obviously the usernames of each individual reader wouldn't be shown. It not only would be a breach of privacy, but also plain useless as a way of gathering data, as any user with a few hundred readers would be unable to use the data altogether.

LinMeili

:s_eek: Sorry but I would prefer not to know. I'd probably obsess over it and lose my mind completely. I like the positive stats like number of favorites, number of reads, etc. but I don't want the negative stats like the number of people who stopped reading, following, or removed you from favorites.

Some people like myself are too fragile for such things.

Reisinling

This somehow must have become the most controversial suggestion I've yet made- as in, there is a big number of people voting it down and up.
:s_eek: Sorry but I would prefer not to know. I'd probably obsess over it and lose my mind completely. I like the positive stats like number of favorites, number of reads, etc. but I don't want the negative stats like the number of people who stopped reading, following, or removed you from favorites.

Some people like myself are too fragile for such things.

The RR solution might be a good one- just give an option to disable those stats, so that you can't see them as an author. In a way I get your pain, looking at the stat tab might not be super healthy, but this really might be tremendously useful stat

LinMeili

This somehow must have become the most controversial suggestion I've yet made- as in, there is a big number of people voting it down and up.

The RR solution might be a good one- just give an option to disable those stats, so that you can't see them as an author. In a way I get your pain, looking at the stat tab might not be super healthy, but this really might be tremendously useful stat

On RR you can also disable the reviews by making hiding them from yourself. 👀

namio

I don't get your complaints. Why would it be intrusive in any way? You'd just be getting numbers about a bunch of anonymous, like... "35% of your readers dropped the story at chapter 15" or something.

Obviously the usernames of each individual reader wouldn't be shown. It not only would be a breach of privacy, but also plain useless as a way of gathering data, as any user with a few hundred readers would be unable to use the data altogether.
It's personal preferences, I guess. I disable cookies other than functional ones in sites I go to.
It just feels like there's even more tracking about my behavior on my leisure activities. Even if it's not going to be attached to my name, that the data is tracked to an even more specific degree is uncomfortable. If, for example, the "this person has this novel in the reading list" part is included in the hypothetical implementation, yes it's unlikely that any one individual will be able to narrow it down to a single reader, but that data does not float off into a void and disappear.

That being said, if such a feature is ever implemented (unlikely), I'd probably just not read novels logged in LMAO