Kingdom building from scratch

Agentt

Thighs
K, so you know the trope, protagonist gets reincarnated into a world where magic exist, but technology is still backward for some reason, and the protagonist uses his knowledge of science to develop and finally become the king.

What's the twist? Well, I want to include these two points
1. Protagonist is just a farmer.
2. He doesn't possess any system of any sort to guide him.

Simple, right? Well, the first problem is the first point.
Every book I have read where the MC has knowledge of science includes him bieng a noble who has enough money to support his experiments. I have yet to find one where the MC is a peasant and has knowledge of science.
The ones that do have him bieng a peasant from start include a system which guides him throughout. Or he has knowledge of future events.

So, well. Firstly, if you know any work which satisfy these conditions, do reccomend them since I need to get 'inspired' from them.

Secondly, well. How would you have a farmer go and overthrow the current king? The setting is that general public is satisfied with current king but some rebel groups exist. I am thinking of going with the religious route, MC claims he is son of God, king is evil, blah blah blah.
Unfortunately, I do need to fill out those blah blah blah.

Okay, an update here.
Yes, I will study history. No need to mention that ever again.
No, MC is not magically charismatic, or a professional hypnosis.
No, I will not make the king and nobles needlessly corrupt.

You know what, leave the characters alone for a moment. Any suggestions about existing superstitions? Or whether this would be an information war or an physical war? Civil war or assassination of king?
Just let your imagination go wild anywhere other than referring to history and changing MC's personality. You don't even need to think of life span. MC can live for a 1000 or a million years. All I need is to write a line for that. Let your imagination fly anywhere than picking an article from wikipedia about farmer uprisings.

I am accepting all ideas till they do not refer to me studying history.

Last edited:

Plantorsomething

Sounds a lot like Reincarnated as a Bookworm. There is a bit of magic involved in later arcs, but it can be argued to have caused even more problems for MC, and she happens to find opportunities within and despite them. Be warned she’s knowledgable and focused on things she is interested in, but is partly oblivious to things outside of her interests and somewhat impulsive, which I have seen has annoyed some people (not me), but, without spoilers, or maybe minor ish spoilers?

spoilers? Kind of sort of?
(she’d probably have been dead if it wasn’t for that kind of personality.)

I haven’t read how far she goes, so maybe not overthrow king level but she absolutely climbs the social ladder

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
So, this is a writing prompt?
NVM, I'm an idiot, this sounds really promising.
Good luck man!

Agentt

Thighs
So, this is a writing prompt?
NVM, I'm an idiot, this sounds really promising.
Good luck man!
Not exactly since I do plan to write it.
Writing prompt means I just have an idea and others are free to add to it till a person who is foolish enough to write it comes along.
Writing tips means that I am planning to write it, hence you are not allowed to change the story in anyway possible.

Draconite

Exist in the void
Magic is the answer to all question in fantasy

Need money? Earn it with magic!
Experiments? Do it with magic!
Building a Kingdom? Magic!

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
Well it isn't the exact same (Of course then there'd be no point of a new novel) but you should try reading "The world online". The protagonist builds a kingdom from scratch. He does get a bit of help from the game system but only in the form of giving him a few talented people or constant population growth.

The flow of how he creates an administration and military for his territory is really well thought out. Even if not for inspiration, if you like the genre then you should probably give it a try.

Also this is a personal opinion but having a farmer overthrow the king would feel more like an uprising rather than kingdom building. It might be better to have the setting in a chaotic place or something with no proper ruler.

D

Deleted member 45782

Simple, right? Well, the first problem is the first point.
Every book I have read where the MC has knowledge of science includes him bieng a noble who has enough money to support his experiments. I have yet to find one where the MC is a peasant and has knowledge of science.
The ones that do have him bieng a peasant from start include a system which guides him throughout. Or he has knowledge of future events.
Or have some nobleman listen to him. Mc gave actual advice and the noble, who is more open-minded than his other social class at that time, decided to go for it despite everyone else gawking at why he would believe in such a man and its ridiculous.
So, well. Firstly, if you know any work which satisfy these conditions, do reccomend them since I need to get 'inspired' from them.
Nah, the better to feel you know you truly wrote it from the start without feeling like shit my story is too similar to an existing story afterwards. :P
Secondly, well. How would you have a farmer go and overthrow the current king? The setting is that general public is satisfied with current king but some rebel groups exist. I am thinking of going with the religious route, MC claims he is son of God, king is evil, blah blah blah.
Unfortunately, I do need to fill out those blah blah blah.
Read about farmers turned kings in real history. There was even a monk rebelled and turned king. History has some interesting things that is great inspiration for stories, a bit some dark and some really...interesting.

You could do it by this -Widespread crop failed, many angry peasants, someone rallies peasants and nobles who are already dissatisfied with the king, and peasant has good way to talk (how he convinced some nobleman to lend him some funding initially) and eventually this accumulates to rebellion and overthrow of the king.

If your king is popular or public (like common people) are generally satisfied with them, you could make it about corrupt government officials and nobles plotting to take the king's seat because they view him as incompetent or think he gives too much away to the peasants when he should pass things that only help their class, or just nobles really wanting to plot and steal the throne for themselves.

Agentt

Thighs
Well it isn't the exact same (Of course then there'd be no point of a new novel) but you should try reading "The world online". The protagonist builds a kingdom from scratch. He does get a bit of help from the game system but only in the form of giving him a few talented people or constant population growth.

The flow of how he creates an administration and military for his territory is really well thought out. Even if not for inspiration, if you like the genre then you should probably give it a try.

Also this is a personal opinion but having a farmer overthrow the king would feel more like an uprising rather than kingdom building. It might be better to have the setting in a chaotic place or something with no proper ruler.
In that case, the protagonist then has to create the chaos. Since the protagonist is supposed to be a bit of a loose screw. The only reason he is overthrowing is because he wants to. I suppose creating such rumours would be an effective way.
Magic is the answer to all question in fantasy

Need money? Earn it with magic!
Experiments? Do it with magic!
Building a Kingdom? Magic!
What if I am too poor to go to a magic school

D

Deleted member 45782

What if I am too poor to go to a magic school
Bribe and scam some nobleman to allow you in then.
Claim you're the prodigy, but just need a little polish to refine a tool and they can use you as a weapon for their purposes, while you secretly plot to use to the upmost of the benefit while you can and then quickly leave or make a turnaround when you're high enough above them.

Agentt

Thighs
Or have some nobleman listen to him. Mc gave actual advice and the noble, who is more open-minded than his other social class at that time, decided to go for it despite everyone else gawking at why he would believe in such a man and its ridiculous.
Could do that, yes.
Nah, the better to feel you know you truly wrote it from the start without feeling like shit my story is too similar to an existing story afterwards. :P
Thank you for understanding how I feel.
Read about farmers turned kings in real history. There was even a monk rebelled and turned king. History has some interesting things that is great inspiration for stories, a bit some dark and some really...interesting.

You could do it by this -Widespread crop failed, many angry peasants, someone rallies peasants and nobles who are already dissatisfied with the king, and peasant has good way to talk (how he convinced some nobleman to lend him some funding initially) and eventually this accumulates to rebellion and overthrow of the king.
While this is the main point, there are some points that deviate from real history.
1. MC and his peers have no reason to do so. Corruption isn't that much. Landlords don't slave people. Taxes aren't that heavy. One of the things that I can't change in the setting is that the world is too 'peaceful' and 'boring'. This is why the MC wants to overthrow the king.

2. I can't really imagine someone becoming so 'charismatic' that he can just lead a group of men to storm the Capitol.
...I don't think you understand what poor means.
MC, who just earns enough to support family.
Bribes
Noble, who owns the entire town...

D

Deleted member 45782

Could do that, yes.

Thank you for understanding how I feel.
Ofc, i rather not read as much so I don't have to find out already existing stories and can say I did come up with it without reading someone else's work first.
While this is the main point, there are some points that deviate from real history.
History can be just a rough basis or subtle thing to base on. What is actually been said and done in stories is often not done that realistic and accurate to what the actual history is like.
1. MC and his peers have no reason to do so. Corruption isn't that much. Landlords don't slave people. Taxes aren't that heavy. One of the things that I can't change in the setting is that the world is too 'peaceful' and 'boring'. This is why the MC wants to overthrow the king.

2. I can't really imagine someone becoming so 'charismatic' that he can just lead a group of men to storm the Capitol.
Is the protagonist planning to overthrow the king or some pockets of resistance who just want overthrow the king for sake of their selfish reasons?

Also if by no corruption or taxes aren't heavy...wouldn't some nobles be a bit upset they can't manipulate it to benefit them more in some way (like raising taxes so they can afford luxury castle upgrades, balls and gowns and lavish feasts). Etc.
...I don't think you understand what poor means.
MC, who just earns enough to support family.
Bribes
Noble, who owns the entire town...
Oh yes gp. No bribe. Just sweet talk. Sweet talk and con some nobleman into thinking you're some prodigy that can be of use to them...for now...lol

Agentt

Thighs
Ofc, i rather not read as much so I don't have to find out already existing stories and can say I did come up with it without reading someone else's work first.

History can be just a rough basis or subtle thing to base on. What is actually been said and done in stories is often not done that realistic and accurate to what the actual history is like.

Is the protagonist planning to overthrow the king or some pockets of resistance who just want overthrow the king for sake of their selfish reasons?
The protagonist wants to overthrow the king and cause some wars in order because he is bored.
Also if by no corruption or taxes aren't heavy...wouldn't some nobles be a bit upset they can't manipulate it to benefit them more in some way (like raising taxes so they can afford luxury castle upgrades, balls and gowns and lavish feasts). Etc.
There is a very good reason for this that I will explain in a sequel
Oh yes gp. No bribe. Just sweet talk. Sweet talk and con some nobleman into thinking you're some prodigy that can be of use to them...for now...lol
Well, there is always the 'I am child of God' route.
it can be dark, like some event happens to the MC, that he is forced to leave the kingdom, only to return as a fully trained warrior.
Nope. The setting is that the world is as peaceful as it can be. There are no monsters whatsoever and the demon king has just been killed.
Also, MC is a farmer. He doesn't has resources to just leave his home. He is both illiterate and malnourished.
Claim you're the prodigy, but just need a little polish to refine a tool and they can use you as a weapon for their purposes, while you secretly plot to use to the upmost of the benefit while you can and then quickly leave or make a turnaround when you're high enough above them.
...A very good point, but what? What can I do? What can MC do better than others? Oh, wait. I just got it! It's perfect!
Thank you for the inspiration! What can be better than human experiments!

If your king is popular or public (like common people) are generally satisfied with them, you could make it about corrupt government officials and nobles plotting to take the king's seat because they view him as incompetent or think he gives too much away to the peasants when he should pass things that only help their class, or just nobles really wanting to plot and steal the throne for themselves.
Again, there is a very good reason, I promise it is a good reason, or so I hope so, that none of this has ever happened in this world. But there is racism, so that can work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 45782

The protagonist wants to overthrow the king and cause some wars in order because he is bored.
Ah so is he the crazy type that will just smile when the world goes down in flames?
There is a very good reason for this that I will explain in a sequel.
Maybe just want to subtly hint at the underlying reason in the prequel then maybe. To connect prequel and sequel better so it isn't just something new in sequel that put readers a bit off cause possible conflicting important details. But it really depends on your writing.

Have to read it first to see how well you can do it, you can probably just mention it in prequel instead too, depending how you write it
Well, there is always the 'I am child of God' route.
Okay, fp, plus I can see you attached to the religious route anyways.
Nope. The setting is that the world is as peaceful as it can be. There are no monsters whatsoever and the demon king has just been killed.
I see.
Also, MC is a farmer. He doesn't has resources to just leave his home. He is both illiterate and malnourished.
There have been farmers in past who will overthrew and they started as poor peasants...but I get that you're not want to look to history as inspiration + you're already set in your own ways for your story. Hey whatever fits what you do. ;)
...A very good point, but what? What can I do? What can MC do better than others?
That is the point where you start being creative with it with your own reasons why people are easily scammed by mc.
Oh, wait. I just got it! It's perfect!
Thank you for the inspiration! What can be better than human experiments!
Great you developed another idea to add to your story.
Again, there is a very good reason, I promise it is a good reason, or so I hope so, that none of this has ever happened in this world.
In your storyworld?
But there is racism, so that can work.
Racism can cause a lot of conflicts, yeah.

Agentt

Thighs
Ah so is he the crazy type that will just smile when the world goes down in flames?
Yes.
Maybe just want to subtly hint at the underlying reason in the prequel then maybe. To connect prequel and sequel better so it isn't just something new in sequel that put readers a bit off cause possible conflicting important details. But it really depends on your writing.
I am doing it currently in the piece I am writing.
Have to read it first to see how well you can do it, you can probably just mention it in prequel instead too, depending how you write it
Yeah, I am not good with words. I'll pray to god it works but I highly doubt that.
Okay, fp, plus I can see you attached to the religious route anyways.
Well, yes. I do want to create a second Jesus.
I see.

There have been farmers in past who will overthrew and they started as poor peasants...but I get that you're not want to look to history as inspiration + you're already set in your own ways for your story. Hey whatever fits what you do. ;)
While yes they do that, history really oversimplified it. Even more when it's a civil war because the king usually censors all news reports of that. Like this one guy in my History book did something similar. His whole feat was covered in three points.
1. Bullets did not harm him
2. He can heal anyone
3. He did not follow Gandhi
So, yeah. Tough to write a whole diary.
That is the point where you start being creative with it with your own reasons why people are easily scammed by mc.
:(
Great you developed another idea to add to your story.
:) more the merrier
In your storyworld?
I prefer the term 'cinematic universe'
Racism can cause a lot of conflicts, yeah.
They surely do.

D

Deleted member 45782

Well, yes. I do want to create a second Jesus.
Ah yes, the people that claim themselves as the second coming of jesus or jesus reborn...heard that somewhere too...
While yes they do that, history really oversimplified it. Even more when it's a civil war because the king usually censors all news reports of that. Like this one guy in my History book did something similar.
Yeah, that and it all depends how you research. And conclusions you come across, because as I've heard, its the winners that write history. I just look at what humans do in past, then roughly base idea on it (don't have be exact accurate to the 90% line).

Agentt

Thighs
Yeah, that and it all depends how you research. And conclusions you come across, because as I've heard, its the winners that write history. I just look at what humans do in past, then roughly base idea on it (don't have be exact accurate to the 90% line).
:(

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
Sorry if this is vague but i'm sleepy and won't take the effort to think.

Do cultural movement or build cults?
You could also make the protagonist be like the devil. Since the world is peaceful, he would offer something that the peace can't make. Say for example, the world is conservative in terms of technology because of religion, his would offer something better.
He could also be the hidden psychopath who acts like the kindest person everyone approves, slowly climbing the social ladder while silently silending annoyances.

I don't know, I suggest building your character first since they seem to lack "motivation". This would also build how they think and ability since saying 'just farmer' seems stale. Maybe they're envious of noble's life or they have a massive hate to other people or maybe he's just straight narcissist and have better mental and emotional specs than other people... sorry this became a ramble...

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
Sorry if this is vague but i'm sleepy and won't take the effort to think.

Do cultural movement or build cults?
Am planning to do that
You could also make the protagonist be like the devil. Since the world is peaceful, he would offer something that the peace can't make. Say for example, the world is conservative in terms of technology because of religion, his would offer something better.
He could also be the hidden psychopath who acts like the kindest person everyone approves, slowly climbing the social ladder while silently silending annoyances.
The MC is insane, but not smart.
I don't know, I suggest building your character first since they seem to lack "motivation".
The motivation is that they want to do it. It can not be expanded anymore. Consider MC to be psychopathic
This would also build how they think and ability since saying 'just farmer' seems stale.
But he is! There isn't much fun if I make it into a generic one...
Maybe they're envious of noble's life or they have a massive hate to other people or maybe he's just straight narcissist and have better mental and emotional specs than other people
Naw, he is just bored. He just wants to wage some wars and call it a day.
... sorry this became a ramble...
Ah, no worries. Best ideas come out at night. Good luck with meepman

Last edited: