Do you play bad end or good end first?

What you on your first playthrough

• Get the good end first. Why I suffer on purpose? I am not a masochist!

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Get the bad end first. Hehehe, I want you to suffer like mee!!

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Just do whatever I feel right. I shall follow my heart not your words!

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • My fav character first, anything else later

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Play once and move on

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Stop halfway when it TOO grindy

• Stop halfway when the battle is too boring

• Stop halfway when the plot is not my liking

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
I often found my self jumping into picking bad choises on purpose on my first playthrough in the most game I played (which are said to have multiple ending, mostly VN) so I'll get to see the bad end first, before proceeding for the good one so that I can see the whatever tragedy might befall upon the character before I see their happy moment.

How about you? Are you the type who played the bad end or good end first? Or maybe you simply pick whatever choices you feel right disregarding wether it would lead to good or bad ending? Or you just prioritize your favorite character route first? Being a total good dude or maybe a total evil? Do you bother to finish all endings or simply stop after one ending because the game is either too boring, the characters aren't so likable or the grinding is too repetitive?

Let's talk!

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Most modern VN's don't have bad ends, so if we use routes instead, then I'd go for every heroine. In addition, there is no point in getting the bad ending, unless you are a completionist and want the trophy - so I'd rather go for the good/best/true endings. Still, Majikoi and Island have bad endings, though I avoid getting them.

And for the ending sequence in Atelier Rorona, Totori, and Meruru, I usually go for the normal ending > character ending > true ending because the bad ending has nothing to do with getting the true ending.

If you are a masochist who'd want to play the bad ending first, then go ahead and play Danganronpa - go play all the bad endings.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Good end. I felt bitter when I played a game and got a bad end that I want to feel fufilled while playing so I always try to pick a good end.

Arkus86

On my first playthrough, I pick the choices that feel right for the situation and characters involved and if that leads me down different path than I originally expected, so be it!

Remuria

I want game to end on a high note so...

All Bad/Normal End > Least Favorite Girl Route > Other Girls > Best Girl > True End (If Any)

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
I don’t have time to waste. So I look up a guide and play it once. Not young anymore, so my reviews becomes very critical as well.
Yeah, after growing up we get less and less time to spare to play a game. Stragely enough, hardcore gamers are mostly adults. Maybe, it's exactly because we don't have much time that we come to appreciate it more.

Most modern VN's don't have bad ends, so if we use routes instead, then I'd go for every heroine. In addition, there is no point in getting the bad ending, unless you are a completionist and want the trophy - so I'd rather go for the good/best/true endings. Still, Majikoi and Island have bad endings, though I avoid getting them.
The most of bad endings of majikoi are mostly Miyako steal the protagonist LOL. Some others are cut short, some are kinda friend end, but the rest are kind of realistic and kind of harsh.
If you are a masochist who'd want to play the bad ending first, then go ahead and play Danganronpa - go play all the bad endings.
I am pretty sure only the first game has two endings, the later series don't have multi endings. Well, if you count character deaths as bad end then yeah. But those are always be an interesting surprise to me, especially how it would impact the survivor.

D

Deleted member 45782

I go for the happy route first, then followed by the route that lets me freely use sarcasm dialogue + character i kinda like.

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
Good end. I felt bitter when I played a game and got a bad end that I want to feel fufilled while playing so I always try to pick a good end.
Yeah, there was no need to force your self to see or play what you don't want. Everyone want to play games because they want it. Not because someone forced them to.

Some bad ending can be pretty depressing. I recall one game where the heroine must die by plot, but the game still continue. The protagonist then lived by himself doing a job that doesn't pay well, not paying attention to his health and sent to the hospital. He even occasionally having a delusion that she was alive, unable to accept her death. It was harsh. But I didn't regret it. I like the how the protagonist overcome it and get back on his feet. I was crying a manly tears back there.

On my first playthrough, I pick the choices that feel right for the situation and characters involved and if that leads me down different path than I originally expected, so be it!
LOL, yeah I totally get it, buddy! Especially when a new game that doesn't have any walkthrough yet, you want to dive in blindy at your own pace, simply doing what you want and see where it gets you.

I want game to end on a high note so...

All Bad/Normal End > Least Favorite Girl Route > Other Girls > Best Girl > True End (If Any)
Save the best part for the last, I see. I do that too. But whenever there a character I really like, I feel like rushing to their route first.

Last edited:

skillet

a frying pan
It reeaally depends... most times I'm just aiming for one character (*cough*707*cough*) and so aim for a happy ending with that one character, and don't bother playing for any other characters. Haha.

Other times, when I don't really have a favorite, I choose responses that feel most natural to me... though usually in those cases I lack the motivation to follow through to the end.

Arkus86

Some bad ending can be pretty depressing. I recall one game where the heroine must die by plot, but the game still continue. The protagonist then lived by himself doing a job that doesn't pay well, not paying attention to his health and sent to the hospital. He even occasionally having a delusion that she was alive, unable to accept her death. It was harsh. But I didn't regret it. I like the how the protagonist overcome it and get back on his feet. I was crying a manly tears back there.
Now I'm curious what game that is. Sometimes I'm in a mood for sthings like that.
LOL, yeah I totally get it, buddy! Especially when a new game that doesn't have any walkthrough yet, you want to dive in blindy at your own pace, simply doing what you want and see where it gets you.
Yeah, I rarely even look for a walkthrough before completing at least one route, as knowing what leads where would spoil the experience for me.

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
Now I'm curious what game that is. Sometimes I'm in a mood for sthings like that.
It's Kira☆Kira (2007)

An old visual novel about a dude who got roped into doing a band for cultural festival. And he was playing as a TRAP for a joke, LOL. Don't be fooled by the cover. It's not exactly cute girls doing cute things. (while there maybbe some aspect that looks like that)

Lemme warn you first tough: It's a text wall type visual novel, meaning: the text covering whole screen instead of your usual dialogue box type visual novel. If you know Fate/Stay Night VN, you know the drill. If you never play this type of visual novel, it can be pretty annoying. But if you can past it, it's actually pretty enjoyable.

It was funny, enjoyabe, and very educative (also tragic). Each heroine route will teach you several aspect about life, ie: family, job, poverty, divorce, etc. And some can be pretty harsh, but it was all worth it.
It reeaally depends... most times I'm just aiming for one character (*cough*707*cough*) and so aim for a happy ending with that one character, and don't bother playing for any other characters. Haha.

Other times, when I don't really have a favorite, I choose responses that feel most natural to me... though usually in those cases I lack the motivation to follow through to the end.
Well, sometimes people only interested in one characer route and ditch the other. And, yeah, some games was unable to keep things interesting which making you lost the motivation to finish it.

Good end. Then go for bad ends.
Jumping into the ravines right after you've just passed it, eh? I don't hate it, though. That reminded me I was playing genocide route (undertale) and kill everyone after frisk got a happy end. Hehe.
I go for the happy route first, then followed by the route that lets me freely use sarcasm dialogue + character i kinda like.
I see, so the next playthrough is for fun.

Last edited:

xluferx

I always go for the true end and then grab a save file to complete the other cgs if the game is too long

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
bad ends first! it makes the good ends so much sweeter, i feel.

exceptions are when i love the character so much i just want to see their good end. then i bask in the happy fuzzy feelings for a while before destroying myself with their bad end.

ah human nature, forever fickle.

D

Deleted member 52382

Curiousity is never a good motivator for me to play the bad endings. I simply never play them.

Jet

Follow my heart obviously. It's made to be done like that. I tend to find every single route there is, in the VNs later on, though.

Kenjona

I like the Concept of VN's and love to read about stories based on them. But have never been able to play one for any length of time. I get bored or disappointed at the choices to easily.

TunTun

I always go into Video Games fully blind. I am too old to watch Walkthroughs.

I don't actively try to game myself into a good/bad endings. The ending that I get is the ending that I deserve.