Random rant about censoring words that don't need to be censored

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
I'm not sure if it's because I'm an edgelord and simply insensitive, but seeing words getting censored with an asterisk when they aren't even that bad just makes me laugh.

An example of this is in the synopsis of Remarried Empress where the word "slave" is censored as "s*ave." I'm not sure about the rationale behind this, but is the word "slave" really that bad? Especially when it's used to denote a class of people in a fantasy world that shouldn't have the same history as ours?

Another word that gets censored sometimes is "crap" which becomes "cr*p." I mean, really? Is crap really a bad word? Sure, it's a curse word to children and pre-teens, but in the end, it's just a little rude to say. It's not outright profanity, is it? Even if it were, censoring actual profanity like "sh*t" in novels is still funny to me. Why use the word when you're just going to censor it? You should just put a strong language or R-15 warning at that point. It's just like censoring rap songs. The only reason you do it is so that your parents don't get mad at you.

Of course, I understand the need to censor words depends on the context. But for web novels especially, it just seems a little excessive. You aren't erasing the profanity by putting an asterisk in the word, after all. There's still an implication of the word being bad there. If you don't want profanity, just use some creative, family-friendly curses/insults like "mooncalf" or "ill-bred ingrate."

I just think c*nsoring w*rds unnecessarily makes it seem like th*ngs are far w*rse than they actually are.

Anyways, what weird w*rds have you seen c*nsored? And am I being insensitive right now? I really can't tell these days.

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
Ad revenue (more specifically, trying to keep it) is a thing, you know.
Web novels have ad revenue? Sus.

More seriously, I get that ad revenue is a thing in videos and streams. But mandating such heavy censorship is still stuuupid on the advertisers'/platform's part. Saying a random cuss word on its own isn't a bad thing; it's the context that matters. Plus, it's not like children are supposed to be on most social media sites anyways (although every kid breaks this rule). Overall, poor parenting, the difficulty of regulating most social media/content hosting sites, and butthurt dummies that ruin everything force people to censor simple things like "beer" or "sexy" or "racism." People have to eat, I get that. Still doesn't make this any less stupid.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't agree that any of these words are slurs, but some people are too sensitive . . .
https://sexworkerhelpfuls.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F90478067686 I believe that using a variety of words is playful. It allows us to rhyme, use alliteration, and employ other stylistic elements in our writing. Driving people to fear the words only makes us a laughing stock. Another sex worker interviewed me for a masters thesis she was working on. She didn't think that prostitute was a slur, either.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
I don't agree that any of these words are slurs, but some people are too sensitive . . .
https://sexworkerhelpfuls.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F90478067686 I believe that using a variety of words is playful. It allows us to rhyme, use alliteration, and employ other stylistic elements in our writing. Driving people to fear the words only makes us a laughing stock. Another sex worker interviewed me for a masters thesis she was working on. She didn't think that prostitute was a slur, either.
.... you know, most of the time, average people may say this in a head, but it'll never come up in a conversation....

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
I also believe in "reclaiming" words like this:
Agreed.

Censorship and fearing words don't change anything if the connotation behind the censored/replaced words doesn't change. Reclaiming words is much better as it alters the connotation of a word and challenges/raises awareness of the larger societal issues at hand. In this way, reclaiming can also prevent new derogatory/profane terms to take the former slurs' place while censorship may just lead to new slurs popping up.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure if it's because I'm an edgelord and simply insensitive, but seeing words getting censored with an asterisk when they aren't even that bad just makes me laugh.

An example of this is in the synopsis of Remarried Empress where the word "slave" is censored as "s*ave." I'm not sure about the rationale behind this, but is the word "slave" really that bad? Especially when it's used to denote a class of people in a fantasy world that shouldn't have the same history as ours?

Another word that gets censored sometimes is "crap" which becomes "cr*p." I mean, really? Is crap really a bad word? Sure, it's a curse word to children and pre-teens, but in the end, it's just a little rude to say. It's not outright profanity, is it? Even if it were, censoring actual profanity like "sh*t" in novels is still funny to me. Why use the word when you're just going to censor it? You should just put a strong language or R-15 warning at that point. It's just like censoring rap songs. The only reason you do it is so that your parents don't get mad at you.

Of course, I understand the need to censor words depends on the context. But for web novels especially, it just seems a little excessive. You aren't erasing the profanity by putting an asterisk in the word, after all. There's still an implication of the word being bad there. If you don't want profanity, just use some creative, family-friendly curses/insults like "mooncalf" or "ill-bred ingrate."

I just think c*nsoring w*rds unnecessarily makes it seem like th*ngs are far w*rse than they actually are.

Anyways, what weird w*rds have you seen c*nsored? And am I being insensitive right now? I really can't tell these days.

It's censored because of the advertisements. I kinda stole the censored words from https://www.novelupdates.com/ (shameless advertisement) and just used it on Scribble Hub.

I agree that some of the words shouldn't be censored as I personally don't think they are bad but there's not much I can do about it :sweating_profusely:

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
It's censored because of the advertisements. I kinda stole the censored words from https://www.novelupdates.com/ (shameless advertisement) and just used it on Scribble Hub.

I agree that some of the words shouldn't be censored as I personally don't think they are bad but there's not much I can do about it :sweating_profusely:
Interesting, it's good to know. I don't really have that big an issue with censorship or anything; it's not like I'll die from an asterisk lol. I just thought it was kind of funny.
Anyways, keep doing what you're doing, Sir Tony! As long as you're getting bread for managing these sites, I'm good with anything :blob_melt:

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Well, there is 1 benefit to censoring out curse words (not slave). Many things from search engines to work/school proxies may filter/block webpages based on those.

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
Well, there is 1 benefit to censoring out curse words (not slave). Many things from search engines to work/school proxies may filter/block webpages based on those.
'Tis true, 'tis true. You raise a very good point there. Asterisks do be saving that cellular data.

Gastic

Cuz most of these pussies ain’t grow up in the trenches of cod lobbies where everyone “fucked your mom” and screamed racial slurs. Yeah there’s nothing wrong with saying bad shit or even slurs but that doesn’t make you a good person for calling someone something demeaning, and even calling someone a slur can get your ass kicked which you’ll probably deserve. I’ve always hated it where people are so sensitive that saying retard or something like that will get you cancelled or some shit. I’m not being edgy because my vocabulary doesn’t adhere to someone’s feelings. People are so scared that they’d offend someone so they don’t say or do what they think or want to. Fuck your feelings, but yeah it’s probably just people being sensitive or fearful of other people getting offended. I’m not special or cool because I’m insensitive to someone’s vocabulary I just don’t care, of course I’ll always give others the common respect they deserve but yeah.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
"That dude is one who*esome s*ave that no s*it can fu*k him."

What do you guys think Ai-chan was saying?

Suryae

Dismembered
"That dude is one who*esome s*ave that no s*it can fu*k him."

What do you guys think Ai-chan was saying?
"That dude is one wholesome suave that no suit can fu-Cock and ball torture (CBT), penis torture or dick torture, is a sexual activity involving application of pain or constriction to the penis or testicles. This may involve directly painful activities, such as genital piercing, wax play, genital spanking, squeezing, ball-busting, genital flogging, urethral play, tickle torture, erotic electrostimulation, kneeing or kicking.[1] The recipient of such activities may receive direct physical pleasure via masochism, or emotional pleasure through erotic humiliation, or knowledge that the play is pleasing to a sadistic dominant. Many of these practices carry significant health risks.-k him"

Do I get this right?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I don't understand this. It's like they simply take a famous phrase, deem it bad, and think everything is now okay. News flash: it isn't the language you're suffering from, but the general public's view towards prostitution as a whole. Changing to fucking SWERF isn't gonna make people look at you in a different light. It's just a superficial change, like pasting a bandaid over a tumor.

MR.DANTE

Cuz most of these pussies ain’t grow up in the trenches of cod lobbies where everyone “fucked your mom” and screamed racial slurs. Yeah there’s nothing wrong with saying bad shit or even slurs but that doesn’t make you a good person for calling someone something demeaning, and even calling someone a slur can get your ass kicked which you’ll probably deserve. I’ve always hated it where people are so sensitive that saying retard or something like that will get you cancelled or some shit. I’m not being edgy because my vocabulary doesn’t adhere to someone’s feelings. People are so scared that they’d offend someone so they don’t say or do what they think or want to. Fuck your feelings, but yeah it’s probably just people being sensitive or fearful of other people getting offended. I’m not special or cool because I’m insensitive to someone’s vocabulary I just don’t care, of course I’ll always give others the common respect they deserve but yeah.
Niger