I just can't play creative games.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Long ago I tried Minecraft when it was all the craze. Recently I tried to play the old Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and City Skylines. All good game and I can recognize that, but I just can't do it.

Any game where the goal is artistic or creative, I just think: "I could be writing instead." People only need so many creative outlets and they compete with each other. Not just in time, but energy. Sanderson once said that the ideal job for an aspiring author was a break layer, and I completely get that now.

Not complaining or anything, just an observation I thought was interesting.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
Yeah, can't do it either. Have to play Apex or Fire Emblem. Strategy fine, but can't create

KitsuneDrake

Same here i always loved heavy rpg and stuff but when i try something like Minecraft my brain Just stop working

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Long ago I tried Minecraft when it was all the craze. Recently I tried to play the old Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and City Skylines. All good game and I can recognize that, but I just can't do it.

Any game where the goal is artistic or creative, I just think: "I could be writing instead." People only need so many creative outlets and they compete with each other. Not just in time, but energy. Sanderson once said that the ideal job for an aspiring author was a break layer, and I completely get that now.

I am a carpenter. While I do have to use my brain somewhat during work, most of it is math and building codes. Writing is indeed an outlet for the jobs like that.

LotsChrono

Completely the same. I tried Minecraft and didn't like it. And, even though I draw from time to time, it takes too much energy from writing away from me.

EternalSunset0

Same. I can't get the appeal of those games. Well, I can in terms of knowing, but in terms of actually experiencing it, not a lot.

Same reason as to why stuff like D&D don't click with me, too. If something is /too/ open and free, even things like GTA, I just get lost or just hurry in completing the story quests. Probably why I lean more towards JRPG over Western RPGs if we're not considering the fact that I also prefer Japanese aesthetics and world-building.

So yeah, I can't get into roleplaying in both online or on tabletop. Card games, on the other hand... 👀

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I love games that let you build houses and shit but what arent the objective of the game. For example fallout 4 and Conan.

I built MANSIONS in Conan. With my dick flopping in the wind, and a slave harem at my side. I remember going out and hunting down the sexiest bitches to bring back. Just dragging bitches by rope across miles of land.

My mansion was five stories high and the size of like maybe a baseball field. Bitches on every floor.

D

Deleted member 45782

Any game where the goal is artistic or creative, I just think: "I could be writing instead."
I think for me thats social media apps like facebook and instag. Sometimes watching others create content makes you feel like kinda lagging cause you got nothing to show your creativity too, esp. if you have been watching their content all day.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I like playing games with creative elements but I actually have terrible execution when even regards to using my own creative juices.

Sure, I can build a house in minecraft and even make it better BUT I have to follow instructions or I basically just give up making something beautiful and instead prefer to optimize everything.

I have a terrible sense of direction so if I play any open games, I easily grew tired once I finish clearing objectives and move on to another game.

I have terrible short attention span so any repetitive games would bore me easily and leave if I don't discover something new fast.

I am lazy so any game I play, I quickly speedrun the hell outta it and leave the game once I'm done. which is kinda scary for me since I am quite good at optimizing things and easily adapt to any situations given and improve at a quick paces(played dark souls 3 once and only beat the first boss yet I gave up since I tend to get lost and even beat the mini boss which was harder than the boss itself.)

So, I like to watch creative games where people create stuff and not play it since I know my own limits of being creative.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft

It's not that you creatively play them—you don't. It is your misconception that creativity can be done easily. For example, In Chess, what's considered creative is a fresh brilliant move of what you don't expect most people would play—and it ain't that easy to find. Creativity is something that someone who poured all their time over a game can easily find.

You may have played Minecraft in creative mode and built an airport for a month, but that ain't enough to be creative. Roller Coaster Tycoon and City Skylines might be creative, but it is only creative when you think you have to be creative when playing it. You play it, you build architectures and you've made it.

There wasn't anything creative about it because you didn't originally create it—or rather, most people have already done it. You just wanted to have fun.

And well, I take writing as a hobby, so it isn't a problem if I wasted my time playing.

Pontan

I have the same problem. Minecraft, Stardew valley, Raft... I just cant get into it. I can however get into terraria, just not the building elements.

MajorKerina

Here’s what I do… I turn those game experiences into stories. Mainly text-based baseball sim on device?… Becomes girl/girl love magical girl baseball concept. Awesome dungeon crawl in an RPG? Well, that doesn’t take a whole lot of remixing to turn to something badass. Everyone says write what you know but really it should be what you know and experience provides the richest material for creativity.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
It's not that you creatively play them—you don't. It is your misconception that creativity can be done easily. For example, In Chess, what's considered creative is a fresh brilliant move of what you don't expect most people would play—and it ain't that easy to find. Creativity is something that someone who poured all their time over a game can easily find.

You may have played Minecraft in creative mode and built an airport for a month, but that ain't enough to be creative. Roller Coaster Tycoon and City Skylines might be creative, but it is only creative when you think you have to be creative when playing it. You play it, you build architectures and you've made it.

There wasn't anything creative about it because you didn't originally create it—or rather, most people have already done it. You just wanted to have fun.

And well, I take writing as a hobby, so it isn't a problem if I wasted my time playing.
Do you try to be this stupid, or does it come naturally to you?

I've never seen someone be so completely vapid in what has to be an excruciating amount of words.

Motsu

Do you try to be this stupid, or does it come naturally to you?

I've never seen someone be so completely vapid in what has to be an excruciating amount of words.
Calm down, bro. Did I hurt your mom or some sort?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

I mean maybe if you made something that are literally exact copies of something someone else did, you may then have a point. But similarities are just that. Being creative isnt hard. Being original is.
Ah! Shit, I forgot! Thanks for making me remember. Maybe I'll let his mom have a blowjob as an apology.
She prefers being cock slapped. Trust me. Bitches love being cock slapped

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy

Why not try playing Terraria? There is a huge amount of creativity in the game, but it's not the main focus or goal of the game. Try it, you'll probably like it.

Motsu

I mean maybe if you made something that are literally exact copies of something someone else did, you may then have a point. But similarities are just that. Being creative isnt hard. Being original is.
I just wrote what I had in mind. And yeah, being original is hard, but doing something creative is doing something original.

She prefers being cock slapped. Trust me. Bitches love being cock slapped
Oh, so you slept with her too?