Generally, how long is a volume? Diff between volume vs book?

zeryn

Looking advice for the above. If a series ends up in 3 different sections each with ~100k words, are those 3 books? Or are they 3 volumes of one larger book? Can someone explain to me? Thanks!

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
They are three volumes of a series, otherwise yes, three different books.

Jemini

You might also want to try using a word count -> page count calculator in order to get some idea of whether or not your word count is appropriate for a book size.

Also, in general, the terms "volume" and "book" are more or less synonymous. The difference is that "volume" is a term with extra connotations that are not present with the term "book." It often implies that it is a part of a multi-book series.

Lurking

Looking advice for the above. If a series ends up in 3 different sections each with ~100k words, are those 3 books? Or are they 3 volumes of one larger book? Can someone explain to me? Thanks!
Or there could be nine books, 1 trilogy for each third of the series.

Its a stylistic choice I think.

Ninetailed_Furball

Two more things.

First, books (including professionally published ones) vary greatly in terms of length. Harry Potter for example goes between 70k and 180k I believe, depending on the book. LoTR is roughly 140k each in comparison.

Intended audience changes that a lot, though remember that eastern light novels are only half to a third the length of typical western paperbacks.

Second, I'm of the opinion that books refer to the physical thing (or e-books lately) and are published (self or professionally), while volume is more fluid and can refer to any book-like delineation and division.