Writing How to Orc?

Macrendil-Ysmir

I've got a huge list of interesting characters/concepts waiting for me to have the time and write a story about them. Currently working on one, but can't resist adding more to the pile.

So now for the topic of this post: ORCS!
I want to prepare for a story with an Orc/Ork/Orruk/Uruk MC. But... what would make a story about him interesting? Obviously he fights a lot. He has a reason to form an army/WAAAGH to enact his vengeance. And of course, in line with generic fantasy & D&D tropes, he'll make his own troops/officers as as Orcs do best (capture people yadayada, Goblin Slayer).

But what other things can he do? Or would "revenge event -> training montage -> first troops -> first raid -> more troops -> Godly attention -> Crusade & counter attack -> victory, Greenskins rule supreme" be enough?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and any additional ideas you have are much appreciated. Thoughts on system/no system? Reincarnation or 'pure' Orc? Let me know!

EducatedHomelessGuy

How about, now hear me out, An Orc... But with big mommy milkers. Eh?! Eh??? Right???
But in all seriousness, how about. Your MC is a low level orc living peaceful within his mountain village. Unfortunately, the world is at war between the demon king and the human kingdom, MC's home is caught in the crossfire between the two forces and his family dies. Furious of the circumstances, he decides to unite the all of the Orc tribes scattered around the world in order to combat both the humans and the demonkin. Of course a few Stockholm syndrome prisoners of war sprinkled here and there would be a riot. Especially someone with big mommy milkers.
You could add some leveling systems here in there to spice things up

Agentt

Thighs
If he is orc, then you can go for a nice training arc of him living in forest, ruling over other orcs and evolving

Mechaphobic

I would do things that aren't seen, maybe have him teach things like art of war and battle tactics. You could go into philosophy and art, maybe expand on the orc culture. I wouldn't go to the extent of a kingdom builder, but you could have several arcs of them building a culture. A lot of people only see them as war machines, I would try to make them more. Leonidas from 300 was a much deeper character historically than he was portrayed in the 300.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I would do things that aren't seen, maybe have him teach things like art of war and battle tactics. You could go into philosophy and art, maybe expand on the orc culture. I wouldn't go to the extent of a kingdom builder, but you could have several arcs of them building a culture. A lot of people only see them as war machines, I would try to make them more. Leonidas from 300 was a much deeper character historically than he was portrayed in the 300.
This defeats the entire purpose of orcs. Make them stupid killing machines that live for combat and follow whoever is the strongest. No culture no philosophy no art, only death and destruction.

SomeGuy

aba1e5bd306a0bde0fecf38882c1d9f7.jpg

Aought me en da Boyz oaught to tell ya bout hou to wrote Orks yeah init.

We be doin az is needed yea, basicly Orkin be da loife of havin fun yea, be we Orks louike havin a shewt shewt and usin DAKKA yea, foughin thowese pesky uewmans yeah.

Enjoyenya good toimes in loife foughtin em humies n' other creatures ause we jewust loike foughin yeah! N if we can no fought anyin eluse we fought otha Orks yea.

WAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EducatedHomelessGuy

View attachment 8248

We be doin az is needed yea, basicly Orkin be da loife of havin fun yea, be we Orks louike havin a shewt shewt and usin DAKKA yea, foughin thowese pesky uewmans yeah.

Enjoyenya good toimes in loife foughtin em humies n' other creatures ause we jewust loike foughin yeah! N if we can no fought anyin eluse we fought otha Orks yea.

WAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I deadass had a stroke trying to read that

Macrendil-Ysmir

This defeats the entire purpose of orcs. Make them stupid killing machines that live for combat and follow whoever is the strongest. No culture no philosophy no art, only death and destruction.
Definitely main focus on war, death & destruction. But still a form of tribal, not-quite primitive culture? Kinda like a division among Orcs where there's an overall rule of "strongest is the boss" but only tribes where the strongest is also smart actually thrive? And maybe not art in the form of paintings, sculpture or architecture but an appreciation for practical design and good craftsmanship?
Don't forget big mommy milkers
Yes, very important aspect.
View attachment 8248

da's de aspet im tryn ta figr out. 'cus he be fitin lots, bu, thes lots ta do tween fightn ya? fitin n fightn n skrappn n bashn is aaaaall fun, bu ne'er all thers tu it

Mechaphobic

IO am talking spartan culture, are you going to tell me they were pussies? If you only have death and destruction that will be incredibly boring. Even Roman gladiators had an entire warrior culture based on the limited training and factions that tended to form. If they are only killing machines, his story will become flat.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I've got a huge list of interesting characters/concepts waiting for me to have the time and write a story about them. Currently working on one, but can't resist adding more to the pile.

So now for the topic of this post: ORCS!
I want to prepare for a story with an Orc/Ork/Orruk/Uruk MC. But... what would make a story about him interesting? Obviously he fights a lot. He has a reason to form an army/WAAAGH to enact his vengeance. And of course, in line with generic fantasy & D&D tropes, he'll make his own troops/officers as as Orcs do best (capture people yadayada, Goblin Slayer).

But what other things can he do? Or would "revenge event -> training montage -> first troops -> first raid -> more troops -> Godly attention -> Crusade & counter attack -> victory, Greenskins rule supreme" be enough?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and any additional ideas you have are much appreciated. Thoughts on system/no system? Reincarnation or 'pure' Orc? Let me know!
i would make the Orc MC a scholar. Like just really smart and cultured. Peace loving. But very strong. He kills if needed, but practices violence held back by a firm moral backbone.
And I dunno about the revenge part, but I'd just have him wander the world with a book in hand, dressed in neat robes, seeking knowledge.
Bonding with men and women of all kinds during his travels, working past the prejudice of being an arc and forming lasting friendships.
Then either a good friend or romantic interest is killed because of merely being affiliated with him
And he cries as he holds their dying body in his arm.
So what does he do?
He doesnt promise revenge, but reform.
He gathers followers who are tired of an oppressive government and works to overthrow them, to bring together all races and achieve unity throughout the land.
But in the end he dies saving the innocent youngest child of the imperial family from an angry mob.
A total Whitebeard moment where the child is separated during the escape of his family, so MC stands in front of arrows and spears and sacrifices himself. Remaining firm as the frenzied men and women stab at him. Because children are the future, and he would not have one harmed. Even one from a family like the Imperials

And now the previously spoiled brat of the imperial family realizes it was his family who caused this tragic civil war with their selfish attitudes, their debauchery and cruel narrow mindedness.
The boy changes for the better, learning from Orc MC's sacrifice and grows into a formidable leader who rebels against his family, establishing a nation of peace and prosperity. With a statue of the MC standing in middle of the capital city. Forever memorializing him as a man who stood up for the oppressed, and died as he live: upholding his values no matter the adversity. Living honor and righteousness, never hatred or fear
Yeah and that's the most basic bitch vanilla shit ever. We always get that. Dude was asking for INTERESTING ideas. Not the same boring stuff we see in like every trashy isekai story.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
i would make the Orc MC a scholar. Like just really smart and cultured. Peace loving. But very strong. He kills if needed, but practices violence held back by a firm moral backbone.
And I dunno about the revenge part, but I'd just have him wander the world with a book in hand, dressed in neat robes, seeking knowledge.
Bonding with men and women of all kinds during his travels, working past the prejudice of being an arc and forming lasting friendships.
Then either a good friend or romantic interest is killed because of merely being affiliated with him
So what does he do?
He gathers followers who are tired of an oppressive government and works to overthrow them, to bring together all races and achieve unity throughout the land.
But in the end he dies saving the innocent youngest child of the imperial family from an angry mob.
A total Whitebeard moment where the child is separated during the escape of his family, so MC stands in front of arrows and spears and sacrifices himself. Remaining firm as the frenzied men and women stab at him. Because children are the future, and he would not have one harmed. Even one from a family like the Imperials

And now the previously spoiled brat of the imperial family realizes it was his family who caused this tragic civil war with their selfish attitudes, their debauchery and cruel narrow mindedness.
The boy changes for the better, learning from Orc MC's sacrifice and grows into a formidable leader who rebels against his family, establishing a nation of peace and prosperity. With a statue of the MC standing in middle of the capital city. Forever memorializing him as a man who stood up for the oppressed, and died as he live: upholding his values no matter the adversity. Living honor and righteousness, never hatred or fear

Yeah and that's the most basic bitch vanilla shit ever. We always get that. Dude was asking for INTERESTING ideas. Not the same boring stuff we see in like every trashy isekai story.
Smart orcs isn't interesting, it's a gimmick. You take the stereotypical orc and reverse it. That's just pseudo-intellectual garbage, ment to make you feel more nuanced. You might as well make him any other race at that point. Its better to focus on actually interesting story elements than creating a bastardized version of orcs to satisfy your own ego.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Smart orcs isn't interesting, it's a gimmick. You take the stereotypical orc and reverse it. That's just pseudo-intellectual garbage, ment to make you feel more nuanced. You might as well make him any other race at that point. Its better to focus on actually interesting story elements than creating a bastardized version of orcs to satisfy your own ego.
Sorry mate I thought you understood creativity but it appears the concept is lost on you. My mistake.
I wasnt aware that we had to stick to the established lore of FICTIONAL CREATURES simply for the sake of....whatever It is you think such a thing is required for. Tradition? Anyway.
Wont happen again.

EducatedHomelessGuy

So what does he do?

I missed the big mommy milkers part. Not interested 🙄

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Sorry mate I thought you understood creativity but it appears the concept is lost on you. My mistake.
I wasnt aware that we had to stick to the established lore of FICTIONAL CREATURES simply for the sake of....whatever It is you think such a thing is required for. Tradition? Anyway.
Wont happen again.
Letting a monkey type your story would be 'creative' as well. That doesn't make it good. Orcs are established fictional creatures with a distinctive set of features which most people associate with them. To give them completely different and contradictory features to what people recognize as orcs is just silly. The idea that x is like y so I'll make x like z in my story, is not anything new, its extremely simplistic subversion of expectations. That doesn't make it creative or interesting.

ZesshiLavi

Smart orc could pretty cool as well I guess, I won't mind reading a story about an orc that's a tad unusual in its den which allows it to slowly overthrow the king and start conquering other races using its wisdom.