Preferred reading?

MahNose

Heavy plot or light hearted plot novels?

Mood can be a big factor, but what do you normally read? Age can also affect it but I normally disregard it unless it's R rated.

BackWoodsJ_ACK

Birbs, dog, and burbers
I tend to like my stories with a mix of both but the plot to be slightly heavy. I don't want the story to just skim over things like romance, drama or character development with things like time skips. Light hearted moments could be used to facilitate these developments.

Basically, it all boils down to the overall feeling of the story. If it's dark, then the plot should be a bit on the heavy side with humor mixed in. If it's comedy, wouldn't mind it being light hearted, but I expect to get to know the characters. Unless it's like an anthology(?)

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I don't think I necessarily prefer either when it comes to reading in general and enjoy both. But I do think I am more likely to remember a story that has a heavy plot and would probably reread one of those while light-hearted stories are something I usually only read once. Some of my favorite stories probably also have a heavier plot.

Reisinling

Mood can be a big factor, but what do you normally read? Age can also affect it but I normally disregard it unless it's R rated.

depends on the story, I like them all I guess?

I don't think I necessarily prefer either when it comes to reading in general and enjoy both. But I do think I am more likely to remember a story that has a heavy plot and would probably reread one of those while light-hearted stories are something I usually only read once. Some of my favorite stories probably also have a heavier plot.
Same, we remember big twists and interesting concepts, but still I find reading more slice of life stuff (easier to pick up)
Taking into consideration how many people rewatch the office/friends, yet how often they are referenced vs matrix or akira, it seems to be true for most people.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Same, we remember big twists and interesting concepts, but still I find reading more slice of life stuff (easier to pick up)
Taking into consideration how many people rewatch the office/friends, yet how often they are referenced vs matrix or akira, it seems to be true for most people.
Yes, I think that's exactly it!

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I see them as the difference between fast food and restaurant, instant noodles and making your own meal.

It is the convenience vs reward factor. One side favours greater rewards at the cost of additional effort needed to be exerted by the consumer. You need to pay more at restaurants, search for the one you like, or spend time buying groceries and cooking. But in the end, you get something better than salted fried potatoes.

The other side goes for convenience and consistency. Big Mac isn't great or awesome, but it is in its own way good. But the importance that it is always the same and you can buy it around the corner any time of the day. Same with instant noodles - they are alright but the great fact about them that it takes 5 minutes to have a meal.

The same is with books. most books are like restaurants - they spend your time setting up the stage to have that great reveal or a twist. but to get there you need to spend more time reading them.

Most web novels go by convenience - they are already convenient due to their online status and they capitalize on it. Their plots are light, their twists and reveals are shallow but frequent allowing the reader to enjoy them sooner and not after reading 30k words. This is why a lot of people can rewatch serials on TV - many don't watch the whole series they just have a quick "frozen meal" episode to satiate their itch. Compared to a movie where you have to spend two-three hours watching.

For me what I like is for a plot to progress. it is less important how heavy each chapter is plot-wise but I expect the story to move along with each one of them. Otherwise, it feels like I've wasted time.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive

When you say heavy or light hearted, I say light hearted. Life is grim enough without drowning yourself in it.
If you mean deep or shallow, it's deep. I'd prefer a story that gives me a lot to think about, something that makes me get up and think about what happened, what could have happened, and what should have happened.

bOnehEad

i like more light-hearted novels cuz for some reason i quickly become bored when i read some heavy novels. tho i myself don't know the reason

I prefer light-hearted stories. The reason I do is pretty similar to this one but I usually get bored with lighthearted ones too but I think it's just because it easier to read a light-hearted story at any time of the day rather than something with a deep plot.
i like more light-hearted novels cuz for some reason i quickly become bored when i read some heavy novels. tho i myself don't know the reason

JayDirex

Most web novels go by convenience - they are already convenient due to their online status and they capitalize on it. Their plots are light, their twists and reveals are shallow but frequent allowing the reader to enjoy them sooner and not after reading 30k words. This is why a lot of people can rewatch serials on TV - many don't watch the whole series they just have a quick "frozen meal" episode to satiate their itch. Compared to a movie where you have to spend two-three hours watching.
this seemingly obvious wisdom is what I should have know before I sank 53K words into an epic with barely any reader engagement. To a lighter hearted smut/thriller with real reader engagement.

bOnehEad

When you say heavy or light hearted, I say light hearted. Life is grim enough without drowning yourself in it.
If you mean deep or shallow, it's deep. I'd prefer a story that gives me a lot to think about, something that makes me get up and think about what happened, what could have happened, and what should have happened.
oh, sorry. my i.q is low so i prefer something like junky-but-enjoyable novel.

D

Deleted member 45782

When I don't have time <- light novels. Marriage Concerto, Why Not Soar Your Majesty...

I consider them bit light but not as completely innocent just light fluff as the above: Sansheng, Wangchuan Wu Shang, 7 Unfortunate Lifetimes...

When I am interested - something more heavy plot. Idk heavy plot? Do we define it by journey and lot character development and development around conflicts? I tend think of this like Iron Fey, Percy Jackson, Vladmir Chronicles, Throne of Glass Series, etc.

Jet

Heavy ofc. I want to feel invested. Need drama, conflict. I generally expect a comic to be a light read, not a book.

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
I usually prefer lighter plots most of the time, but I can enjoy heavy plots on occasion.

It's mostly because I have not that much time and lighter plots are easier reads. Plus I'd need to be in the mood to go through 'heavy plot' novels since it's easier to fuck up with them so I might just be signing myself up to reading a lot of shit to find a good story.