Writing Judge my Magic system Idea

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I want your honest opinions on my future novel magic system!:blob_aww: Will you all help Kitty out?

Mana is the essence of life and the source of all magic in this world. Humans were descended from a certain race and were able to harness it from nature long ago. "Something" happened and, well, the humans were cut off from the magic pool or the world.

Because of this, they have to rely on artifacts made by god-like beings to harness it somewhat from nature.

Those who don't have artifacts or pureblood * nobles that descend from a certain race or have a pact with one of those god-like beings* can use magic but only with the use of the mana that is keeping their bodies running.

Basically, normal mages use up part of their lives to do spells or create items for people. That mana is limited too.

Normal spells use negligible amounts of mana, but bigger chaotic spells or item creation spells use years of their lives. They can never recover them once they're gone.

It also requires amounts/years of training to adequately use the mana, so slowly in this world magic users are going extinct.

Hm.... I don't even know if it is a system or a drain... I hope I explained myself well, sounded better in my brain... but everything sounds better there! :blob_melt:

Anyway! Open for judgments or ideas to make this better!

*Yes, this is about an earlier thread where I asked for awesome ideas for magic subclasses for this story!* I kind of want to know what you guys think of this.

Forums have been too quiet... we need some creative juices spilling~:blob_aww:

SailusGebel

I would state my opinion first. I'm not the biggest fan of limiting the magic. Most of the time, it will derive into "how can I cheat the rules"? Though, it's a personal preference and not a valid criticism.

I feel like your system is too simple? A lot of parts are vague. For example, can a person prolong his life by absorbing the mana and not casting the spells? How exactly the usage of mana affect bodies? What happens with simple folk, are they birthed with the innate reservoir of magic? If not, why they aren't dying? And so on. I'm not a fan, nor do I like getting too into the technical aspect. I prefer it when magic has milder restrictions and somewhat omnipotent. As for advice, perhaps try to organize everything, set proper rules, use concrete words and values. I may be wrong here, but if you do a lot of restriction and magic is an important part of the story, you should be more concrete. Think of how the said magic affects the world, how exactly people discern and study it. All the minor details. That's everything that I was able to come up with. I'm sure there will be people who would be able to talk about the technical aspect better than me.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
You say
Mana is the essence of life and the source of all magic in this world. Humans were descended from a certain race and were able to harness it from nature long ago. "Something" happened and, well, the humans were cut off from the magic pool or the world.
IMO this is not consistent in how humans are still alive, being cut off from the essence of life. I'd go for 'weakened' instead, which would explain how magic users -only humans- are going extinct. Or just retcon the line that states mana is life essence. Unless all humans are automatons in a way and function with another energy source that is not mana, which would balance out not having it since it could power other forms of technology (guns, railguns, lazer guns, etc. if they are left alone long enough to come up with such technology)

Another loop-hole would be
Mhm other races/living things were not cut off, just the humans. It was like a punishment for being bad. :blobspearpeek: The world did not like that human.
That'd mean Humans can't be enslaved or abused, since the same punishment would be delivered to the abuser... meaning there's really no downside to losing access to the magical pool other than just not using it. If the higher beings are so morally correct, protecting a species that can't use magic would be the clever choice to appease such strict beings in the eyes of the other species, especially if they're highly religious.
Like we protect endangered species, punish pouchers, and have an organization that sees to it (greenpeace). This would make sense if this banishment happened "such a long time ago", considering we progress a lot in just a century (mainly due to our short lifespans).

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I want your honest opinions on my future novel magic system!:blob_aww: Will you all help Kitty out?

Because of this, they have to rely on artifacts made by god-like beings to harness it somewhat from nature.

Those who don't have artifacts or pureblood * nobles that descend from a certain race or have a pact with one of those god-like beings* can use magic but only with the use of the mana that is keeping their bodies running.

Basically, normal mages use up part of their lives to do spells or create items for people. That mana is limited too.

Normal spells use negligible amounts of mana, but bigger chaotic spells or item creation spells use years of their lives. They can never recover them once they're gone.

It also requires amounts/years of training to adequately use the mana, so slowly in this world magic users are going extinct.

Hm.... I don't even know if it is a system or a drain... I hope I explained myself well, sounded better in my brain... but everything sounds better there! :blob_melt:

*Yes, this is about an earlier thread where I asked for awesome ideas for magic subclasses for this story!* I kind of want to know what you guys think of this.

Imagine human magic suicide bombers. The are taught a highly destructive spell that consumes all their life force for a large explosion capable of bringing down entire city blocks.

Any you have a good idea. It can even be developed deeper.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
You say

IMO this is not consistent in how humans are still alive, being cut off from the essence of life. I'd go for 'weakened' instead, which would explain how magic users -only humans- are going extinct. Or just retcon the line that states mana is life essence. Unless all humans are automatons in a way and function with another energy source that is not mana, which would balance out not having it since it could power other forms of technology (guns, railguns, lazer guns, etc. if they are left alone long enough to come up with such technology)

Another loop-hole would be

That'd mean Humans can't be enslaved or abused, since the same punishment would be delivered to the abuser... meaning there's really no downside to losing access to the magical pool other than just not using it. If the higher beings are so morally correct, protecting a species that can't use magic would be the clever choice to appease such strict beings in the eyes of the other species, especially if they're highly religious.
Like we protect endangered species, punish pouchers, and have an organization that sees to it (greenpeace). This would make sense if this banishment happened "such a long time ago", considering we progress a lot in just a century (mainly due to our short lifespans).
Well, everyone is born is mana inside of them otherwise they would be dead. This includes the birds and everything around them that can't use magic because they lack understanding. They were cut off from the world mana, not from themselves. So they use their own mana or life force to cast spells. This is why it is limited. I mean, they can drop dead, if they do one too many crazy spells.

For the second part, I meant like living creatures? There used to be other human-like beings, but they all went extinct due to natural reasons. I didn't want to give much to what the story is, but the world is basically alive * A god*. It just cut the humans off from its unlimited pool. Humans pissed it off for reasons...

I hope I explained myself, lol. Better. :sweating_profusely:

I would state my opinion first. I'm not the biggest fan of limiting the magic. Most of the time, it will derive into "how can I cheat the rules"? Though, it's a personal preference and not a valid criticism.

I feel like your system is too simple? A lot of parts are vague. For example, can a person prolong his life by absorbing the mana and not casting the spells? How exactly the usage of mana affect bodies? What happens with simple folk, are they birthed with the innate reservoir of magic? If not, why they aren't dying? And so on. I'm not a fan, nor do I like getting too into the technical aspect. I prefer it when magic has milder restrictions and somewhat omnipotent. As for advice, perhaps try to organize everything, set proper rules, use concrete words and values. I may be wrong here, but if you do a lot of restriction and magic is an important part of the story, you should be more concrete. Think of how the said magic affects the world, how exactly people discern and study it. All the minor details. That's everything that I was able to come up with. I'm sure there will be people who would be able to talk about the technical aspect better than me.
I left it vague because I did not want to give too much about my story per se but I will clarify your questions.

No, they can't increase or absorb mana without the artifact's help or a bond with a being of magic. It is like you are born with the mana you have. For example, maybe you are destined to live 100 years, well you have that supply. It is biological and genetic playing a part. Some people are prone to live longer than others. If everything is constant, like care and quality of life, then all that is left is basically genetics to a point. In this case, humans are descended from an elven race that lived before them. They just evolved to be humans, the nobles still have resembles of their heritage.

In this case, the way to use unlimited mana would be reserved for those who are lucky enough to acquire artifacts *who are passed down through families* or have bonds with these spirit beings.:sweating_profusely:

I guess a good idea could be that the mages need months of rest to recover somewhat.... Hm...

Imagine human magic suicide bombers. The are taught a highly destructive spell that consumes all their life force for a large explosion capable of bringing down entire city blocks.

Any you have a good idea. It can even be developed deeper.
Brilliant! The military must know this!:blob_aww:

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
I hope I explained myself, lol. Better. :sweating_profusely:
You did! :blob_okay:
No, they can't increase or absorb mana without the artifact's help or a bond with a being of magic. It is like you are born with the mana you have. For example, maybe you are destined to live 100 years, well you have that supply. It is biological and genetic playing a part. Some people are prone to live longer than others. If everything is constant, like care and quality of life, then all that is left is basically genetics to a point. In this case, humans are descended from an elven race that lived before them. They just evolved to be humans, the nobles still have resembles of their heritage.
I'd expect a LOT of inbreeding to secure magic genes, like Mahouka Koukou no Rettosei (i think that's how it's spelled) does. If humans in your world have the same lifespan as we do, in barely a century the elite would have done a supersoldier program similar to the Ubermensch like the nazis did (not saying it was good, just an example). This would make for a very interesting political/underground story with powerful magic families, especially since they are somewhat direct descendants as you said, and the protagonist may be a result of that crazy inbreeding and fights to protect mankind from outside threats whilst being treated like trash by the elite.

Be mindful that if the system itself is this restrictive, the elite (and humanity as a whole, really) will go to horrible lengths to secure their power and the prosperity of humanity by being the classic "for the greater good" bad guys, or good guys, depending on the take. You could take inspiration from the 40k warhammer universe in their views to fight the unfathomable and the terrible things they do to achieve victory.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
You did! :blob_okay:

I'd expect a LOT of inbreeding to secure magic genes, like Mahouka Koukou no Rettosei (i think that's how it's spelled) does. If humans in your world have the same lifespan as we do, in barely a century the elite would have done a supersoldier program similar to the Ubermensch like the nazis did (not saying it was good, just an example). This would make for a very interesting political/underground story with powerful magic families, especially since they are somewhat direct descendants as you said, and the protagonist may be a result of that crazy inbreeding and fights to protect mankind from outside threats whilst being treated like trash by the elite.

Be mindful that if the system itself is this restrictive, the elite (and humanity as a whole, really) will go to horrible lengths to secure their power and the prosperity of humanity by being the classic "for the greater good" bad guys, or good guys, depending on the take. You could take inspiration from the 40k warhammer universe in their views to fight the unfathomable and the terrible things they do to achieve victory.
Yes, you do not know how much inbreeding these crazies are doing! And they did do a super-soldier program and even worse they experiment on humans using alchemy to try to get the upper hand on the world. This... made things even worse.:blob_hide:

"may be a result of that crazy inbreeding" You are sooooo close to what the MC is~:blob_evil:

This world is full of bad deeds and horrible acts. Most of it is them trying to stay in power and alive. Among other things...:blob_nom: The will to survive is one of the strongest and more powerful things in the world. It drives people to do crazy things...:blobspearpeek:

Jemini

Well, it sounds like a well reasoned out system. A few questions though.

Is this a high magic or low magic society? As in, how common is magic? The system you just described is one where it should probably be EXTREMELY uncommon. Kind of like Ascendence of a Bookworm levels of uncommon, or likely even less.

Second, are you going with hard magic or soft magic? As in, you have described how magic becomes available to people in your OP. However, you never actually explained how magic WORKS exactly. This suggests you are going for a soft magic system, one where the exact ways magic works is left unsaid and is portrayed a little more mysteriously in the world.

Third, are you planning for the protagonist to have access to magic? If not, then it's fine to keep this system as you have described and have it be a soft magic system. Soft magic systems work best when the protagonist has no real access to magic. If you are going to give magic to the protagonist though then you need to get some rules down as to how magic works, what it's limitations are, and what conditions need to be filled in order for the protagonist to use the magic.

In a hard magic system, it's more important to outline what magic can't do than what it can. That's where the interesting points are.

Aside from that, as several other people have been pointing out, you've crafted a system that has serious consequences for your world, and your responses indicate you are all for those consequences. This is a really good sign you are going places with this system.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Well, it sounds like a well reasoned out system. A few questions though.

Is this a high magic or low magic society? As in, how common is magic? The system you just described is one where it should probably be EXTREMELY uncommon. Kind of like Ascendence of a Bookworm levels of uncommon, or likely even less.

Second, are you going with hard magic or soft magic? As in, you have described how magic becomes available to people in your OP. However, you never actually explained how magic WORKS exactly. This suggests you are going for a soft magic system, one where the exact ways magic works is left unsaid and is portrayed a little more mysteriously in the world.

Third, are you planning for the protagonist to have access to magic? If not, then it's fine to keep this system as you have described and have it be a soft magic system. Soft magic systems work best when the protagonist has no real access to magic. If you are going to give magic to the protagonist though then you need to get some rules down as to how magic works, what it's limitations are, and what conditions need to be filled in order for the protagonist to use the magic.

In a hard magic system, it's more important to outline what magic can't do than what it can. That's where the interesting points are.

Aside from that, as several other people have been pointing out, you've crafted a system that has serious consequences for your world, and your responses indicate you are all for those consequences. This is a really good sign you are going places with this system.
Uh... I never have heard these concepts xD Bare with me~

1. It is extremely uncommon, as barely anyone practices it, and those who have high mana pools are basically drafted into the military at birth. Those who do use it get rich quickly but die fast if they don't have an artifact to draw the magic out of the land instead of themselves.:blob_evil: So I am guessing it is low magic?

2. I am guessing soft magic because why science fantasy... Imo. Too complicated, brain-melting! :blob_shock:

3. MC does have magic but they are a special case~ Experiment gone wrong I guess we can say, or right in this instance. Has to do with the god-like beings that create artifacts for humans well created. The enemies in this world are both human and nonhuman. Nonhuman being the focus and these guys can use magic like crazy *They are basically the world trying to get rid of the humans for what they did* Kind of white blood cells trying to get rid of the microbe. :blob_evil: While they have a huge mana pool, their struggle is with their stamina rather than the magic they can cast.

A test of endurance, I guess. While everyone else helping the MC is restricted in ways. If they lose their artifacts or aren't bonded they are basically almost folder for these beasts that aren't easy to take down. *Can only be killed or repelled by magic.* There are also attributes and different magics that affect each creature, while everyone can only master one element.

How will they fight off the enemies is part of the story~ Human greed and the extends of where it goes are the biggest point in this story.

It is no fun if there aren't consequences. The more pain, the better! After all, fairy tales are for wimps!

I hope I answered this right. Please let me know if I didn't!:blob_aww:

Sounds interesting concept. Good luck with your writings and go for it.

Sensei, I shall make you proud!:blob_aww:

LilTV1155

I like your idea. However, maybe you can specify the details that separate Magic Users and Non-Magic Users. Like the amount of magic power, magic resistance, and magic potential can impact the Human's life?

Magic Users just happened to have a lot of Energy or high Mana Cap + higher resistance. While Non-Users have very low Mana Cap + lower resistance. If the Gate is closed off = Anti-Magic / Neutralize Magic AOE, then the weaker get very little or nothing. But they still survive because that amount of Mana is capable of being a Soul's battery?

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
I like your idea. However, maybe you can specify the details that separate Magic Users and Non-Magic Users. Like the amount of magic power, magic resistance, and magic potential can impact the Human's life?

Magic Users just happened to have a lot of Energy or high Mana Cap + higher resistance. While Non-Users have very low Mana Cap + lower resistance. If the Gate is closed off = Anti-Magic / Neutralize Magic AOE, then the weaker get very little or nothing. But they still survive because that amount of Mana is capable of being a Soul's battery?
I kinda get what you are saying, but at the same time. I am utterly confused!

In the terms you are using magic, users have high mana pools. So higher magic power? or Potential? I don't go into stats because it confuses me. I don't know how to do those! So, I just basically avoid these usually.

Gate closed off? You mean like people who can't use magic use anti-magic? *Brain in process of melting down*:blob_melt:

LilTV1155

I kinda get what you are saying, but at the same time. I am utterly confused!

In the terms you are using magic, users have high mana pools. So higher magic power? or Potential? I don't go into stats because it confuses me. I don't know how to do those! So, I just basically avoid these usually.

Gate closed off? You mean like people who can't use magic use anti-magic? *Brain in process of melting down*:blob_melt:
Just think of it this way.

High Mana Cap = Users are mortal containers of Mana, they absorb energy and hold it for later uses

Mana Resistance = Think of Mana as radioactive energy; Users can hurt because too much Energy or Energy left inside their bodies for too long can become toxic miasma that corrodes the User's health over time.
Think of allergic reactions or a person getting poisoned from ODing on prescriptions.

Magic Potential = How skilled Users are in controlling Mana via absorbing and releasing; in other world how much firepower you give your User's spells like Skill: Fire Lv. 5 -> Skill: Meteoric Shower Lv. 1

As for Neutralization or Anti-Magic AOE on human races. Will this formula help?

M = ( Am - C + ( P = R + T) )

Am = Anti-Magic AOE on Human Race | R = Resistance | P = Potential | C = Capacity Reserve | T = Training | M = Mana

Magic User = 100+ > M > 12 Spell Point
Non User = 1 < M < 10 Spell Point
Anything lower than 1 = Dead / Souls

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Just think of it this way.

High Mana Cap = Users are mortal containers of Mana, they absorb energy and hold it for later uses

Mana Resistance = Think of Mana as radioactive energy; Users can hurt because too much Energy or Energy left inside their bodies for too long can become toxic miasma that corrodes the User's health over time.
Think of allergic reactions or a person getting poisoned from ODing on prescriptions.

Magic Potential = How skilled Users are in controlling Mana via absorbing and releasing; in other world how much firepower you give your User's spells like Skill: Fire Lv. 5 -> Skill: Meteoric Shower Lv. 1

As for Neutralization or Anti-Magic AOE on human races. Will this formula help?

M = ( Am - C + ( P = R + T) )

Am = Anti-Magic AOE on Human Race | R = Resistance | P = Potential | C = Capacity Reserve | T = Training | M = Mana

Magic User = 100+ > M > 12 Spell Point
Non User = 1 < M < 10 Spell Point
Anything lower than 1 = Dead / Souls
:blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: Help! My brain can't compute!

I think I get it, but for this story, I think it is too intellectual for my brain!
This is for a specific genre, right? Like an RPG game-based story.

Though, it is amazing how you can come up with this on the fly~:blob_aww:

Jemini

Uh... I never have heard these concepts xD Bare with me~

Ok. Well, if you haven't thought about those things, then you actually have not crafted a good magic system at all. High Vs. Low magic, Hard Vs. Soft magic, and the rules by which magic operates are the corner stones of any magic system. Your explanations about how people get magic is just fluff and flavor text. If you have not worked out these details, it's like having a car without an engine.

2. I am guessing soft magic because why science fantasy... Imo. Too complicated, brain-melting! :blob_shock:

3. MC does have magic but...

I'm going to stop you right there. Soft magic + MC has magic is a recipe for failure. Get some solid rules in for your magic system or massively re-think your plot to make one where the MC does not have magic, otherwise it is just not going to work.

It doesn't matter what you have following your "but" as an exception there. It's just not going to work. As an example, I will use Star Wars. George Lucus had had the force, which was what we might call a hard/soft magic system. It is right on the boarder between the two. It is portrayed as mysterious an mystical, but when you really look at what was done with it you find that the force had some pretty clean-cut lines on what it can and can't do.

However, when Disney got ahold of the franchise, they completely tossed the Lucas rules out the window and just started making up more and more things that could be done with the force. This was not taken well at all by fans, and they hated it.

You don't need to do anything really complicated with your rules, but you do need to place some hard limits on your magic system if you plan to give magic to your main character, otherwise the story will just stop being interesting because you have an MC that can just solve every problem with magic. You at least need to have a limit on your magic system that the readers can instinctually sense, even if it's not clearly defined.

If you want, you can just go ahead and rip a generic 4 elements magic system from anything else already existing and call that good if you want to be lazy. But, you do need some kind of rules.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Ok. Well, if you haven't thought about those things, then you actually have not crafted a good magic system at all. High Vs. Low magic, Hard Vs. Soft magic, and the rules by which magic operates are the corner stones of any magic system. Your explanations about how people get magic is just fluff and flavor text. If you have not worked out these details, it's like having a car without an engine.

I'm going to stop you right there. Soft magic + MC has magic is a recipe for failure. Get some solid rules in for your magic system or massively re-think your plot to make one where the MC does not have magic, otherwise it is just not going to work.

It doesn't matter what you have following your "but" as an exception there. It's just not going to work. As an example, I will use Star Wars. George Lucus had had the force, which was what we might call a hard/soft magic system. It is right on the boarder between the two. It is portrayed as mysterious an mystical, but when you really look at what was done with it you find that the force had some pretty clean-cut lines on what it can and can't do.

However, when Disney got ahold of the franchise, they completely tossed the Lucas rules out the window and just started making up more and more things that could be done with the force. This was not taken well at all by fans, and they hated it.

You don't need to do anything really complicated with your rules, but you do need to place some hard limits on your magic system if you plan to give magic to your main character, otherwise the story will just stop being interesting because you have an MC that can just solve every problem with magic. You at least need to have a limit on your magic system that the readers can instinctually sense, even if it's not clearly defined.

If you want, you can just go ahead and rip a generic 4 elements magic system from anything else already existing and call that good if you want to be lazy. But, you do need some kind of rules.
I understand your concern.

Well... Does it count if MC is a combination of human + a good-like being? Do rules apply to these characters? They are basically an artificial elf made from a Celestial* one of the god-like beings* and a human. This happened because they needed a way for someone to be able to reach the world, which is basically trying to kill off every human now. And that is why they have magic different from all the other humans in the world? They are the first elf to be seen since they went extinct and went into folklore.

They are on a different system when it comes to the consumption of mana since they can draw it from the earth itself, while all the others apply. Like they only have one element and its sub-element due to the paternal bond they have with the Celestial being.

Which greedy people want to get hold of them for that reason.

Thank you for helping me, flesh this out btw! :blob_aww:

LilTV1155

:blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: :blob_shock: Help! My brain can't compute!

I think I get it, but for this story, I think it is too intellectual for my brain!
This is for a specific genre, right? Like an RPG game-based story.

Though, it is amazing how you can come up with this on the fly~:blob_aww:
I did not stare and glare at Isekai, RPG Videogame, and all that Transmigration Genres for nothing. But the Harem Magnetism Theory is hard to formulate.
I understand your concern.

Well... Does it count if MC is a combination of human + a good-like being? Do rules apply to these characters? They are basically an artificial elf made from a Celestial* one of the god-like beings* and a human. This happened because they needed a way for someone to be able to reach the world, which is basically trying to kill off every human now. And that is why they have magic different from all the other humans in the world? They are the first elf to be seen since they went extinct and went into folklore.

They are on a different system when it comes to the consumption of mana since they can draw it from the earth itself, while all the others apply. Like they only have one element and its sub-element due to the paternal bond they have with the Celestial being.

Which greedy people want to get hold of them for that reason.

Thank you for helping me, flesh this out btw! :blob_aww:
Should we include a human's soul's purity and intents?

True. But can you please explain more about Hard vs. Soft Magic vs. High vs. Low Magic concepts?