Adventurer's Guild [AGSA] Adventurer's Guild Sky Archipelago - OOC Room

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Actually, oriental dragons are not technically dragons as they are ryu, an entirely different species. It's just that we don't have a proper name for them in english.
By the same technicality, you could also say that wyverns are not dragons and african dragons are not dragons (since there are many entirely different species of dragon).

Furthermore, the inverse is true in Chinese. Western Dragons are also called (龙) 'long' when translated to Chinese.

Chinese is also an older language than English, so you could also say that the Chinese term existed for longer than the English term.

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
By the same technicality, you could also say that wyverns are not dragons and african dragons are not dragons (since there are many entirely different species of dragon).

Furthermore, the inverse is true in Chinese. Western Dragons are also called (龙) 'long' when translated to Chinese.

Chinese is also an older language than English, so you could also say that the Chinese term existed for longer than the English term.
That's true as well, But because of the lack of words, we consider them the same while their not. Same goes for stuff like aesir and gods. gods are supposed to be an omnipotent being while aesir are just really powerful not at all omnipotent beings but since we have no words for them we call them gods. Same goes for japanese kami as well. They always seemed more like guardians and protectors rather beings who govern the world.

So long story short, comparing the oriental and western dragons is like comparing birds and snakes.

Last edited:

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
That's true as well, But because of the lack of words, we consider them the same while their not. Same goes for stuff like aesir and gods. gods are supposed to be an omnipotent being while aesir are just really powerful not at all omnipotent and powerful beings but since we have no words for them we call them gods. Same goes for japanese kami as well. They always seemed more like guardians and protectors rather beings who govern the world.

So long story short, comparing the oriental and western dragons is like comparing birds and snakes.
However! I would also argue that the western dragon is historically actually born from the eastern type (without wings)!

The first recognizable western dragon traces back to the Middle Ages (circa 1200s CE).

Prior to this date, "dragons" in Europe (particularly greco-roman mythology), primarily referred to wingless dragons. It just happens to be that in the Middle Ages the wings were added on top of the greco-roman ones.

Reborn_Cat

However! I would also argue that the western dragon is historically actually born from the eastern type (without wings)!

The first recognizable western dragon traces back to the Middle Ages (circa 1200s CE).

Prior to this date, "dragons" in Europe (particularly greco-roman mythology), primarily referred to wingless dragons. It just happens to be that in the Middle Ages the wings were added on top of the greco-roman ones.
I can't comment on that as I'm an engineering student, but if you ask me, dragons are simply a different species from ryu.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
I can't comment on that as I'm an engineering student, but if you ask me, dragons are simply a different species from ryu.
Yeah! I agree!

Although to me it's the same thing as saying the Skyrim Dragon (2 legged) is a different species from the European Green Dragon (4 legged), just as it's a different species from Toothless in the How To Train Your Dragon (somewhat flat faced).

There's no reason to suggest that any of these dragon species are biologically compatible. They are all likely to be different species.

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
There's no reason to suggest that any of these dragon species are biologically compatible. They are all likely to be different species.
Never say never. If it isnt compatible, we shall find a way to make it work ~ What's the point of humanity dragons if they cannot figure out ways to fuck everyone else?

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>

I think it is rather interesting just how for most of the world (especially the Indian-Persian-Arabian zone), dragons are infact equivalent to snakes, serpents and snake-eagles. Popular culture really skews the perception of what a dragon is honestly.

Reborn_Cat

I think it is rather interesting just how for most of the world (especially the Indian-Persian-Arabian zone), dragons are infact equivalent to snakes, serpents and snake-eagles. Popular culture really skews the perception of what a dragon is honestly.
You know, I feel like we're writing a paper for a college report.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
Yeah! I agree!

Although to me it's the same thing as saying the Skyrim Dragon (2 legged) is a different species from the European Green Dragon (4 legged), just as it's a different species from Toothless in the How To Train Your Dragon (somewhat flat faced).

@Ddraig is a lewd dragon….

Honestly, to me at least, 'Dragon' is more of a trope/plot devices that serve some kind of purpose, and most often than not, a manifestation of some kind of either natural phenomenal, manifestation of something, or human qualities, with the east leaning toward the former, and the west toward the later. In most Asian myths and stories, Ryu/Long are manifestation of storm, typhon, or thing like divinity, heavenly, prosperity, or riches and wisdom. In most Euro folk tales, dragons almost exclusively the manifestation of human quality rammed up to the max, like greed, anger or envy. Sometime, they could also be a manifestation of thing like storm, drought or power too.

So, in my book, things like wyrm, sea serpent, ryu, winged lizard, and hell, even the feathered serpent of South America are dragon in my book. Different type of dragons, yea, different species but in the same family as far as mythological creature go. Maybe like how Chimp, Ape, Monkey and Human are related......

I dunno, just my two cents