Did you believe in Santa as a kid

Did you believe in Santa as a kid?

• Total voters

peelsdeeni

The Unoriginal Disappointment
It had recently occurred to me as I was watching my brother get a brain freeze on ice cream that, when I was a kid, I never believed in Santa, and I just wanted to know if I was the only one who didn't have a childhood growing up didn't believe in Santa growing up.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I remember shouting, "Santa buys his toys!"
Not long after that, I asked if Santa was real, and my parents admitted that he wasn't, but they still put "Santa" on gifts for a few more years just for fun.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
To balance the poll, I decided to go with what's a Santa? Is that edible? Will it give me the power to travel in another world? If no, then I don't want it.

K5Rakitan

oof
I don't think there's anything else more appropriate than oof in this situation
Indeed! The funny thing is that my parents also taught me to take price tags off gifts before giving them, because if people see the price, they'll start thinking of how you spent too much money or not enough money on them instead of simply enjoying the gift for what it is.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
It had recently occurred to me as I was watching my brother get a brain freeze on ice cream that, when I was a kid, I never believed in Santa, and I just wanted to know if I was the only one who didn't have a childhood growing up didn't believe in Santa growing up.

Must have been a crappy childhood if you didn't believe...

When I was a kid, I told my parents about the tooth fairy so that I could get $$$ for my fallen tooth.

It isn't about whether you believe in something or not but about making people believe you do and capitalizing on it :P

(I didn't believe in anything, but pretended I did for benefits)

peelsdeeni

When I was a kid, I told my parents about the tooth fairy so that I could get $$$ for my fallen tooth.

It isn't about whether you believe in something or not but about making people believe you do and capitalizing on it :P
*cough* America *cough*

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I can honestly say I never believed in Santa. But I like the idea of him and almost wish he was.

K5Rakitan

I don't think so. My husband and I don't plan on doing "Santa" with our kid(s if we have more) because we know we're not rich, and we don't want them to be upset when they don't get everything they want. The basic concept of Santa is a bribe for good behavior. If they spend the whole year being nice because they want gifts and not because being nice is the right thing to do, that will be problematic for them when they learn that there is no Santa.

K5Rakitan

I can honestly say I never believed in Santa. But I like the idea of him and almost wish he was.
If Santa were real, capitalists would have started offering tours of his toy factory, and the reindeer would be in a petting zoo.
I like the Idea of Robin Hood better.

peelsdeeni

If Santa were real, capitalists would have started offering tours of his toy factory, and the reindeer would be in a petting zoo.
I like the Idea of Robin Hood better.
I read somewhere that a British scientist concluded that Robin Hood stole from the rich because the poor didn't have anything worth stealing

Jet

Uh, when you are 5yo or someth, and parents along with other adults explain that Santa thing, it's kinda hard not to believe, no? Like what did you believe then? All we learn comes from parents at the start.
A kindergartener with a critical outlook on life, wtf :o Schopenhauer claimed that it never happens before reaching 16years of age.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I don't think so. My husband and I don't plan on doing "Santa" with our kid(s if we have more) because we know we're not rich, and we don't want them to be upset when they don't get everything they want.

But do you have it in you to break a child's pure(evil) heart? :cry:

The basic concept of Santa is a bribe for good behavior. If they spend the whole year being nice because they want gifts and not because being nice is the right thing to do, that will be problematic for them when they learn that there is no Santa.

Wait, what? You actually have to be nice all year to get presents? Aren't holidays all about the child's skill to suck up and extract the most they can get from their parents? It's a vital skill to survive in society.

If you always act nice, then people simply won't appreciate it. But if you act however you please, then act nice on occasion, it makes it much more special and much more appreciated cause otherwise people take things for granted.

K5Rakitan

But do you have it in you to break a child's pure(evil) heart? :cry:
There will be no breaking because he'll never be fooled in the first place.
Wait, what? You actually have to be nice all year to get presents? Aren't holidays all about the child's skill to suck up and extract the most they can get from their parents? It's a vital skill to survive in society.

If you always act nice, then people simply won't appreciate it. But if you act however you please, then act nice on occasion, it makes it much more special and much more appreciated cause otherwise people take things for granted.
Sounds like a recipe for borderline personality disorder!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
My parents used to threaten me as a child that if I was a bad boy, Santa would kidnap me, wrap me up, and send me as a gift to child traffickers in Thailand.

K5Rakitan

My parents used to threaten me as a child that if I was a bad boy, Santa would kidnap me, wrap me up, and send me as a gift to child traffickers in Thailand.
That sounds more like an adventure!