What are your fav novels this year?

pastalady

What are your favorite novels of this year and why? Promote them. ^_^

mrsimple

Writer
It's not on here, but I really enjoyed Book 1 of "The Villorian Chronicles: The Mage's Apprentice" by Cobalt.

Synopsis: Queen Meliantha needs to find a new female apprentice with enough magical potential to teach. Local peasant Ferand has wanted all of his life to one day become a strong and noble Villorian Knight. Only one of them is going to get what they want...

Quick statistic: Word count is 113,876 within 21 chapters. Published: 06/27/18
Link to story: Book 1 of The Villorian Chronicles

And, yeah, this is a Gender Bender with Politics, Medieval Fantasy, and War. In my opinion, pretty nifty stuff, and it totally surprised me how everything turned out. :blob_popcorn:

Scribbler

Home turf I would have to say Reincarnated Vampire wants to enjoy her life. Surprisingly good novel, maybe one day the author could get it published.

Outside of home turf would be This one. Surprisingly good as well. A lot of work went into this one.

Worldwide it has to be my novel Providence of Wisdom /s. Jk mine is total thrash.
Thank you for mentioning secret organization. I've never heard of it but it sounds so interesting!

For me, I wouldn't say I have a favorite novel of the year. But I'm currently reading and enjoying The Crystal Shard by R. A. Salvatore. I tried reading his first trilogy but I found the premise, characters, and settings completely uninteresting. I'm a fan of fantasy novels and I've been looking for something with a D&D feel, with a party of adventurers seeking action and treasure in a fantasy world. But I haven't been able to find anything truly interesting to me.

Aching God and Kings of the Wyld were close. I loved their settings that felt exactly like D&D, but I felt their mostly human characters to be boring. And the old man going back for one last time schtick felt, idk, tired and bland?

There are multiple protagonists in The Crystal Shard and each with their own interesting personalities and motivations. And the plot, it is so seemingly boring and conventional, but it's done in such an interesting way; an evil wizard raising an army of goblins and orcs against a town of humans and dwarves. I absolutely love it. They build it up and pace it extremely well, really earning the plot developments.

And near the start, one of the characters, a halfing, has this seemingly cheat item, but the plot shifts and changes in a way that punishes the halfing severely for using the cheat item. I loved how organic and sensible it was.

I believe that's all I can say without spoiling anything major, but if anyone hasn't already read it and thinks that it may interest them then I wholeheartedly recommend it. Though people probably don't read much western novels here.

Last edited:

OverlyFriendly

This novel I found on scribble hub today. It's made by a great friend I know and although they never told me about it I support them and hope they make it far :blob_teary:

Sahilk

I am currently fond of a novel named 'The novel's Mob' by Lycan. It is a great novel with amazing character development. You may read it if you have time. It is currently posted on scribble hub and webnovel.

Scribbler

I'm going use this as a platform to talk (rant) about a book I'm extremely bored with.

It's well written and the characters are great. But, my god, the plot is so fucking boring. And the actual contents of the plot are not the parts that bore me, but the fact that the characters say what they're going to do (the contents of the next chapters) before they do it. The book is called The Lies of Locke Lamora, it's a sneaky sneaky book about thieves. They spend about 20% of the book introducing the main character and his propensity to con. I was fine with that, you have to introduce/info dump, and I read through expecting something more. But I was sooo disappointed. I had this same problem with another heist novel, Six of Crows. I never cared about the plot because I knew it could only go one of two ways: according to plan, or not. And the writer is fairly detailed, so I have to real all the way through the preparation phase of the plan before shit actually goes down. It feels so slow paced. You know what, it's a good novel, but not my kind of novel. It's not about the plot, it's about the atmosphere, but I read for the plot and characters.

I'm a little half way over with the book now and I think I'm going to give it up. I wanted to like it sooo bad. Sneaky sneaky thief novels may be just not for me.

Edit: And Blood Song's ending was soooo bad! Like 66% of it was amazing, but the rest was sooooo bad.

Last edited:

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
and I think I'm going to give it up. I wanted to like it sooo bad

Literally the opposite of what the discussion is about. You can make another thread if you want to rant about novels, but I'm pretty sure this one is about favorite novels. Favorite.

More on topic, my preferences shifted once again and now it's Apotheosis of a Demon – A Monster Evolution Story and She Was Both Called God, as Well as Satan. I've always liked the first one, but the second one started updating again, putting it back into my read list.

Scribbler

Literally the opposite of what the discussion is about. You can make another thread if you want to rant about novels, but I'm pretty sure this one is about favorite novels. Favorite.

More on topic, my preferences shifted once again and now it's Apotheosis of a Demon – A Monster Evolution Story and She Was Both Called God, as Well as Satan. I've always liked the first one, but the second one started updating again, putting it back into my read list.
Eh, I'm too lazy.

Storymask

Hmm... let's see...

My Favorites on Scibble Hub are:
1. The Oscillation
2. A Tail’s Misfortune
3. I Didn’t Even Want to Live, But God Forced Me to Reincarnate!

As for my own Eh! Where Did My Pen… Pen… Go!?! Of course, I like it but as the author, it's filled with spoilers :(

Favorite Urban Fantasy is from Jim Butcher: The Dresden Files.
Favorite Light Novel: Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon.
Favorite Novel Updates: Fields of Gold - So much tasty food.
2nd Favorite Novel Updates: Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
3rd Favorite Novel Updates: Even I Have Become a Beautiful Girl, but I Was Just Playing as a Net-game Addition - but slow translation updates.

Well.... there's a couple more but this covers most of it.