Tales from the Reaper Re-Chapter

bulmabriefs144

My story is a series of short vignettes, kind of like a Dragonlance anthology, each story is more or less self-contained, yet adds to the mythos.

I like "Sick Girl" and "Well of Souls" chapters, but then I get to "Isekai".

I don't like Isekai at all. It's deconstruction of the isekai genre, where this guy gets hit by a truck and expects to have "cheats" and a "harem", and the Reaper involved is like "you wouldn't last 5 minutes in this sort of world." Basically, it's a commentary on a generation that expects everything to be rewarded for having an ordinary life ("you were a high school student that couldn't cope with that, it's a horrible life, so now you get a prize" mentality). It's short and sweet like the others, but I found it overly preachy. I'm considering removing it and putting something else in.

The question is, what? The Reapers are a sort of supernatural "people" who do backstage reality work. I have them participate in everything from wars to the world blowing up to religious events, though part of what I was going for here was thirteen chapters from a very slice of life perspective. So, if I get rid of this chapter (which I probably will, because people get to here, and just stop reading), I'm honestly not sure what to put in.

Can people help me brainstorm? What would you like to see a chapter about?

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
You're late, we already have works like Muv-luv and Re:zero where isekai is hell for the main character and tells them to stop being entitled bitch and grow up

edit: But you do you, I always like some reverse power fantasy with suffering~

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Well, iseka doesn't have to be rewarding. It can actually be a traumatizing event. A normal human trust into a shitter condition than the one they were in. Shield hero, and Re:Zero are a great example.

So i don't see anything wrong with that. You should write for what you want to achieve rather than looking at the views of a chapter. Will it turn off some people? Yes, but you should write for yourself. Someone out there will like it too.

I myself am planning a dark iseka with romance/fantasy. Smut and all the lovely things I excell at.

Also I would change truck-sama for something else. Like uh explosion or uh mc falls and breaks their neck. Something other than the wonderful car or truck usually used.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I recommend watching Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash if you want to write a "realistic" Isekai type of chapter. The anime doesn't focus too much on suffering, it's just a bunch of kids who got isekai'd and are trying to make a living through adventuring. Shameless plug here btw, my story has a chapter titled "hero frank" which I think is a decent portrayal of what can happen if a boy gets isekai'd with no powers and lives long enough, he basically assimilates into the other world's society.

Edit: As for a chapter idea... If you haven't already tried maybe an encounter with high society? Nobles and such.

Last edited:

bulmabriefs144

Well, iseka doesn't have to be rewarding. It can actually be a traumatizing event. A normal human trust into a shitter condition than the one they were in. Shield hero, and Re:Zero are a great example.

So i don't see anything wrong with that. You should write for what you want to achieve rather than looking at the views of a chapter. Will it turn off some people? Yes, but you should write for yourself. Someone out there will like it too.

I myself am planning a dark iseka with romance/fantasy. Smut and all the lovely things I excell at.

Also I would change truck-sama for something else. Like uh explosion or uh mc falls and breaks their neck. Something other than the wonderful car or truck usually used.

Well, the premise involved some pink-haired college student (not literally pink, but you get the idea) arguing with basically a Trump voter (though this is set in pre-Trump era around 2014 or so). And not looking where he was going when he walked right into an intersection, thinking about some suitable retort for next time.

Remember kids, look both ways before dwelling on political left/right debates! :s_wink:

I suppose he could avoid the truck... only to meet some other accident in some ironic fashion. Maybe diabetes from his coffee or electrocution from his cellphone.

Well, I was hoping for an entire new chapter idea. But I suppose that I could just retool the chapter until at least I like it.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Well, the premise involved some pink-haired college student (not literally pink, but you get the idea) arguing with basically a Trump voter (though this is set in pre-Trump era around 2014 or so). And not looking where he was going when he walked right into an intersection, thinking about some suitable retort for next time.

Remember kids, look both ways before dwelling on political left/right debates! :s_wink:

I suppose he could avoid the truck... only to meet some other accident in some ironic fashion. Maybe diabetes from his coffee or electrocution from his cellphone.

Well, I was hoping for an entire new chapter idea. But I suppose that I could just retool the chapter until at least I like it.
Hm... Diabetes is a slow killer. Sorry to say xD there isn't such a thing as dying a quick death from diabetes unless you are Type one and well that has to do with other complicated things! So unless you want to do some research :3 I would stick with traumatic deaths.:blob_melt:

So the electrocution might be funny. *Though I don't know how that would work.* Or he falls down a manhole after dodging the truck-sama. Or his phone overheats and boom! On his face! xD There are many ways to kill someone. So be creative and make it funny too. :3 Since you are going for a political argument.:blob_aww:

Always write something you like. Then someone else will love it too!
*Example, for my idea for my Iseka is I am going for a suicide death. MC is tired of this world and jumps off killing herself. Then she is transported to another shitty world.* :blob_happy:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Always write something you like. Then someone else will love it too!
That's the line I always give people <3

But if you're still experimenting with things to figure out what you love, might I suggest polyamory?