Reduce vertical space under paragraphs/headings

Reisinling

As in the title- lack of vertical space is easily fixed by just adding line breaks, having too much of it can't be fixed manually. I'm trying to mimic the text size functionality using headers/paragraphs, but it makes my headers look weird, because, while in the text editor the space below paragraph/header is completly reasonable, in the actual preview it is about as tall as the text itself.

More precisely, compare the difference between using Heading 3 and Paragraph, vs using Heading 1 and Heading 2

There is no additional break between Heading 1 and 2. And it's the same if you use Heading 2 and 3.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
The line spacing is incredibly inconsistent. I haven't noticed as much since I started writing directly in SH's editor instead of copying chapters in, but even then, I still have to do a lot of micro-edits to get the spaces to work out properly a lot of the time.

I don't really know how to go about fixing it though.

Muddy

Actually, my impression is the exact opposite. Scribblehub has some rather solid vertical rhythm, at least compared to certain other sites (looking at you RR).
  • Default font size is 15px, which is nice and comfortable
  • Line height is a spacious 24px, only a hair more than optimal 1.5 times the font size
  • Paragraph breaks leave exactly one line of whitespace, preserving the 24px vertical rhythm
  • Headings, if used in the correct order, align to the 24px rhythm as well
The rhythm breaks a little when double paragraph breaks, or headers out of order (e.g. h1 after h2) are used, but those are both things that are typographically dubious, and thus hard to account for. So as far as I see it, the first example shows how well the rhythm works, and the second example merely demonstrates that the rhythm breaks when typographical guidelines are violated.

grid-1.png
grid-2.png

Where things do go wrong, is in the editor. Paragraphs in the editor keep to the same 24px rhythm, but the whitespace between those paragraphs (and between headers and paragraphs) is too small. If anything needs to be fixed, it is that.

grid-3.png

So I'm going to suggest the exact opposite. Don't change anything in the story view. Fix the vertical rhythm in the editor.

Reisinling

The rhythm breaks a little when double paragraph breaks, or headers out of order (e.g. h1 after h2) are used, but those are both things that are typographically dubious, and thus hard to account for. So as far as I see it, the first example shows how well the rhythm works, and the second example merely demonstrates that the rhythm breaks when typographical guidelines are violated.
Having smaller title above heading is sufficiently common practice, that saying it should not be done because of one school of graphic design is ludicrous. Unless you are suggesting alternative way of doing that is implemented, that wouldn't use headers 1, 2 etc, but some other type of text, then whatever.

It's possible that I've misunderstood your point though, if you only meant that the space below current headers should remain the way it is, then it still seems to me, that the current break is just too big- it seems to be 2ems, while it could easily be just 1em

Muddy

Having smaller title above heading is sufficiently common practice, that saying it should not be done because of one school of graphic design is ludicrous. Unless you are suggesting alternative way of doing that is implemented, that wouldn't use headers 1, 2 etc, but some other type of text, then whatever.

It's possible that I've misunderstood your point though, if you only meant that the space below current headers should remain the way it is, then it still seems to me, that the current break is just too big- it seems to be 2ems, while it could easily be just 1em
Yeah, you misunderstood. I am not making any big statements about the strict ordering of headers, or the font sized that should be used in headers. All I am pointing out is that there is appears to be a solid principle behind the spacing between headers and paragraphs, and that changing it should be done thoughtfully.

My main point remains the last part of my post. The editor currently does not properly follow the same typographical principle as the viewer. Fixing that feels much more important than tweaking the rhythm of the viewer. Fixing the editor would make it so that when you're actually writing your chapter, what you see is what you get.