Do you like slice of life? Why?

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
What you can learn from slice of life. People complains because they want dramas and actions.
A good slice of life, is akin to a more realistic drama, people will act more human, scenarios are more realistic, and there is little to no people being difficult, for no reason, to spice up the plot.

BlackKnightX

A good slice of life, is akin to a more realistic drama, people will act more human, scenarios are more realistic, and there is little to no people being difficult, for no reason, to spice up the plot.
I like drama, but not the mindless one. You know, the one that builds up on misunderstanding upon misunderstanding that can easily be solved with just a conversation?

It’s really frustrating when the character just doesn’t speak out their mind clearly and makes things worse. I know there are a lot of people like that in real life too, but I‘m not one such people, so when the character does that, I just can’t relate to them.

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
I like drama, but not the mindless one. You know, the one that builds up on misunderstanding upon misunderstanding that can easily be solved with just a conversation?

It’s really frustrating when the character just doesn’t speak out their mind clearly and makes things worse. I know there are a lot of people like that in real life too, but I‘m not one such people, so when the character does that, I just can’t relate to them.
I agree

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member

Lol yes, the story I’m writing right now the character does exactly that. If there’s something bothering him, he just has a conversation with the person to clear the air right away for the exact reason of hating the forced drama bullshit he sees in stories all the time.

Though one time he delays the conversation just so he can avoid having to do the one thing he hates... dancing.

BlackKnightX

Lol yes, the story I’m writing right now the character does exactly that. If there’s something bothering him, he just has a conversation with the person to clear the air right away for the exact reason of hating the forced drama bullshit he sees in stories all the time.

Though one time he delays the conversation just so he can avoid having to do the one thing he hates... dancing.
Self-promotion, I see~ 😏

Well, don’t worry. I’ll check it out. 😂

Flashwolf96

I, on the other hand, am completely that type of person, so I relate all too well to not being able to clearly say what I want to say. Still, as a writer I wouldn't use a trope like that unless it was in a slice of life story or segment of a non-SoL story, or there was otherwise a plot or character-related reason why whichever character in question couldn't say the truth.

Although at one point in one of my stories, the protagonist witnessed a crime take place right before her eyes and was too shocked to say anything until it was already over. It frustrated one of my readers that the situation (which later spiraled into something much worse later on) could have been solved right away if only she'd called attention to the crime as it was happening instead of staring dumbfounded, and I couldn't really reply because they were right :sweat_smile:

D

Deleted member 45782

Its nice. Its more relatable mixed in with often just enough fluff to make it feel relatable but also dreamy at same time, like something you may hope for to happen in real life too.

Then again, that what I took from a few slice of life in the comedy/romance genre set in the contemporary/modern setting. If its slice of a life of a minotaur or an alien or some other sort, idk.

But its nice to read for a quick relax.

I think some western novels have come across tend be more focused on some special quest, something earth shattering like its the end of the world plot or just something situation very significant and impacts the whole story. Then you get slice of life novels that are found more in eastern novels, that don't focus on the all-doom-and-gloom all the time. It can just be about their daily life with a bit of story attached to every day scenario that we can either resonate or have thought/dreamt for sake of humor. You can turn the page and feel like not missing anything plot heavy like the former story since slice of life sorta loosely connects whole story but no strict timeline to solve big mission. Its a nice refresher if you just want a quick read and don't want to get to immersed into any story for sake of time. Tis a generalization of stories have read. Not all stories fall under it. I like both plot heavy stories and then some slice of life stories.

i'm a slice of life enjoyer myself. my favorites are non non biyori and yuru camp for the comfy setting.

i do enjoy the traveling and nature exploration part of it, especially since i'm too lazy to go out.

BlackKnightX

i'm a slice of life enjoyer myself. my favorites are non non biyori and yuru camp for the comfy setting.

i do enjoy the traveling and nature exploration part of it, especially since i'm too lazy to go out.
Relatable~ 😂

Do you know acchi kocchi? Maybe not as good as non non biyori in term of art styles, but I think it’s pretty cute and calming.

Relatable~ 😂

Do you know acchi kocchi? Maybe not as good as non non biyori in term of art styles, but I think it’s pretty cute and calming.

i heard of it but haven't gotten to really watch them.

i might consider it if it has traveling / camping stuff.

BlackKnightX

i heard of it but haven't gotten to really watch them.

i might consider it if it has traveling / camping stuff.
It has all that. Though, the anime is adapted from a 4-koma manga, so the style might be a little different from the usual anime. It also has romantic undertone in them.

I won’t say more than this. You need to check it out!