Do you imagine yourself as the protagonist when you read?

BlackKnightX

When I read, I always imagine myself as the protagonist. I feel what they feel and experience what they experience. Their pain, their anger, their sadness, their happiness, their pleasure. I feel all of it as if I’m the protagonist himself.

This leads to one thing—I hate drama and tragedy.

Like I told you, I always imagine myself as the protagonist, so when the protagonist been in the tensed situation, I‘m also in that moment as well. If the protagonist feels pain, then I’ll feel it too.

That’s why I don’t like drama and tragedy. It’s because it’s painful and I’m not a masochist.

I love reading wish-fulfillment story because it feels good. If something good happens to the protagonist, then it also happens to me as well. I would receive all of the wishes the protagonist receives. So, since I can choose the story for myself, then it would only make sense that I’ll choose happiness over suffering.

Is there anybody like me?

Last edited:

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
When I read, I always imagine myself as the protagonist. I feel what they feel and experience what they experience. Their pain, their anger, their sadness, their happiness, their pleasure. I feel all of it as if I’m the protagonist himself.

Like I told you, I always imagine myself as the protagonist, so when the protagonist been in the tensed situation, I‘m also in that moment as well. If the protagonist feel pain, then I’ll feel it too.

That’s why I don’t like drama and tragedy. It’s because it’s painful and I’m not a masochist.

I love reading wish-fulfillment story because it feels good. If something good happens to the protagonist, then it also happens to me as well. I would receive all of the wishes the protagonist receives. So, since I can choose the story for myself, then it would only make sense that I’ll choose happiness over suffering.

I’d say I’m like a spectator. I understand everything a bit more than others, but I’m not really involved. But I can still feel the emotions they feel. Drama and tragedy are things I eat for breakfast without blinking an eye. Of course, the really good stories can make me feel like I’m a part of the story. (Like the wandering inn) Or I get attached to a character. I’ll obviously invest more into the story. cry for them, laugh at them, etc… but at the end of the day, fond memories and nostalgia is all that’s left when I’m done.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Like I told you, I always imagine myself as the protagonist, so when the protagonist been in the tensed situation, I‘m also in that moment as well. If the protagonist feel pain, then I’ll feel it too.

me? Almost never unless the story is in first-person, but even then not often. Maybe if it was on an earth setting? and didn't have fantasy elements? But that's all.
I don't really like imagining myself in these various situations. I never have, really. I don't insert myself into stories, but i do like to view them. Im an observer.

The only story i say i MIGHT have imagined myself in recently would be my own, and only because i wrote several scenes where my MC got high as balls. Why do i imagine myself in his shoes during those times specifically? Cuz I'm majorly into weed, and used to do a few drugs now and then recreationally too.

So yeah, i can relate to the pure chaos of being high as fuck.

Not to say i never imagine myself as the Protag, its just not very common for me. Sometimes i will be all, "i certainly wouldn't have done things that way" but that's more like a criticism of their actions rather than a self-insert type of situation.

I mean i understand wanting to self-insert. But have you guys even fully thought out what actually being in these worlds would be like? Protags get hurt, emotionally and physically, A LOT.

Yeah, no thanks man. I can feel sorry and shed a tear or two in your name, but fuck off with that nonsense when it comes to myself. I don't like getting beaten, cut or emotionally scarred. I have enough shit to deal with as it is

BlackKnightX

me? Almost never unless the story is in first-person, but even then not often. Maybe if it was on an earth setting? and didn't have fantasy elements? But that's all.
I don't really like imagining myself in these various situations. I never have, really. I don't insert myself into stories, but i do like to view them. Im an observer.

The only story i say i MIGHT have imagined myself in recently would be my own, and only because i wrote several scenes where my MC got high as balls. Why do i imagine myself in his shoes during those times specifically? Cuz I'm majorly into weed, and used to do a few drugs now and then recreationally too.

So yeah, i can relate to the pure chaos of being high as fuck.

Not to say i never imagine myself as the Protag, its just not very common for me. Sometimes i will be all, "i certainly wouldn't have done things that way" but that's more like a criticism of their actions rather than a self-insert type of situation.

I mean i understand wanting to self-insert. But have you guys even fully thought out what actually being in these worlds would be like? Protags get hurt, emotionally and physically, A LOT.

Yeah, no thanks man. I can feel sorry and shed a tear or two in your name, but fuck off with that nonsense when it comes to myself. I don't like getting beaten, cut or emotionally scarred. I have enough shit to deal with as it is
Yep, that’s why I avoid a tragic story. Just to clarify, though, I don’t choose to insert myself into the protagonist, it just happens automatically every single damn times. Sometime, I try to get out of there and put myself into the observer perspective, but not long after, I got pulled back into the character again.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Well, I basically already answered this in your earlier thread, but I may as well answer it again. I pretty much always see myself as a detached observer recounting and observing a past event. To be honest, I can still feel tension and the emotions of various characters, just that I see them as different from my own. If I like a protagonist I can feel bad for their lowest moments, if the opposite is true then I get some seratonin.
An exception though would be hentai doujins, you can guess as to why is that. Maybe some interactive stories too and some ridiculously meta shit(Jumpchain and a select cyoas).
Considering what I like and read, I wonder if i'm a hardcore masochist or a deranged sadist.

BlackKnightX

Well, I basically already answered this in your earlier thread, but I may as well answer it again. I pretty much always see myself as a detached observer recounting and observing a past event. To be honest, I can still feel tension and the emotions of various characters, just that I see them as different from my own. If I like a protagonist I can feel bad for their lowest moments, if the opposite is true then I get some seratonin.
An exception though would be hentai doujins, you can guess as to why is that. Maybe some interactive stories too and some ridiculously meta shit(Jumpchain and a select cyoas).
Considering what I like and read, I wonder if i'm a hardcore masochist or a deranged sadist.
I heard a lot of professional writers talking about this. They say you need to create a character readers can empathize with. Though, for me, I need no empathy, I just possess the character’s mind and body the moment I start reading.

But, here’s a catch; I will slowly drift off the character the moment they do something stupid~ 😂

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
No.
I never imagine myself to become protagonist.

When I think what is protagonist, I'm immediately imagine "someone who had a lot shit happen their life, certainly a winner of life but what they had experience should beyond what I could do actually in real life".

With that said, I see myself as a mob instead, or an observer as I supposed to be. I will symphathy on character, feel their sadness and shit happen on them but as bystander.

Like.. as much I like arifureta, I wouldn't want go through what the mc experienced at first lmao.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
They say you need to create a character readers can empathize with.
I think this was mostly true until the rise of mmorpgs and the isekai genre. Today web novels are a form of escapism, and there's a lot of people who enjoy wish fulfillment fantasies with "gary/mary sue" mc and characters that are one-dimensional and easy to understand because its like an ideal world thats easy to digest unlike real life which is compicated and sucks.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Yep, that’s why I avoid a tragic story. Just to clarify, though, I don’t choose to insert myself into the protagonist, it just happens automatically every single damn times. Sometime, I try to get out of there and put myself into the observer perspective, but not long after, I got pulled back into the character again.
yeah. Its the opposite for me tho. I like dramas Tragedies? Not so much, but they often come hand in hand. I like the heartache, maybe? Mainly when its school settings, or in romances.

But i don't like it if its not something I'm actively seeking in the story. Like if I'm reading a harem comedy, i probably wont like to be surprised with a tragic backstory or event. I remember one story had like a bonus chapter that was basically about this one bandit in a restaurant who was trying to rape one of the waitresses.

And the MC steps in and beats him unconscious, right?
Then when the MC leaves, the bandit wakes up and proceeds to rape the waitress anyway.

Now see, that's the kinda bullshit i don't like to see.

Not because I'm squeamish, but because i go into a certain genre of a story, i prepare myself. If I'm reading a dark story, i go, "pay, so expect some fucked up shit." Like Game of Thrones type of stuff. All kinds of death and rape and all around tomfuckery.

So if i go into a comedy, I'm not prepared for unexpected bullshit like what i stated above. I don't like being blindsided when I'm just trying enjoy a light read, feel me?
No.
I never imagine myself to become protagonist.

When I think what is protagonist, I'm immediately imagine "someone who had a lot shit happen their life, certainly a winner of life but what they had experience should beyond what I could do actually in real life".

With that said, I see myself as a mob instead, or an observer as I supposed to be. I will symphathy on character, feel their sadness and shit happen on them but as bystander.

Like.. as much I like arifureta, I wouldn't want go through what the mc experienced at first lmao.
uatu.jpg

Last edited:

Poleg

King of the birds and the fish.

Is there anybody lik
Depends on how much I like the story.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
No, I never immerse myself in the protag's shoes, unless I know it is a wish fulfilment. Though lately I find myself unable to connect to anyone of the fictional characters due to tiredness.
yeah. Its the opposite for me tho. I like dramas Tragedies? Not so much, but they often come hand in hand. I like the heartache, maybe? Mainly when its school settings, or in romances.

But i don't like it if its not something I'm actively seeking in the story. Like if I'm reading a harem comedy, i probably wont like to be surprised with a tragic backstory or event. I remember one story had like a bonus chapter that was basically about this one bandit in a restaurant who was trying to rape one of the waitresses.

And the MC steps in and beats him unconscious, right?
Then when the MC leaves, the bandit wakes up and proceeds to rape the waitress anyway.

Now see, that's the kinda bullshit i don't like to see.

Not because I'm squeamish, but because i go into a certain genre of a story, i prepare myself. If I'm reading a dark story, i go, "pay, so expect some fucked up shit." Like Game of Thrones type of stuff. All kinds of death and rape and all around tomfuckery.

So if i go into a comedy, I'm not prepared for unexpected bullshit like what i stated above. I don't like being blindsided when I'm just trying enjoy a light read, feel me?

View attachment 9755
Ah, I remembered that scene well.

I hate it and wrote that part down in my own story, except mine just goes straight to snap the guy's neck. Seriously I think till date, that is the most BS moment.

Fun fact is that the bandit is not a bandit, but a houseless knight (adventurer iirc) who has an asian looking emotionless slave and is basically shit to her as well. God I hate the scene so much that it seared into my memory. I may forget the work's name but the bullshit sticks with me.

Last edited:

IsseiVeskitos

Yep me too

whitesculptor

The princess whispers & the keyboard clacks.

Same, except I read all genres as long as the plot bewitches me.

AryaX

Do I imagine my self in the shoes of the original protagonist? No...

But if the world building and the other characters are any good at all, then I almost always imagine my "self" in place of the protagonist...