Guide for new authors? Getting new viewers?

virgilknightley

Hey everyone! I just posted my first story here on SH and I'm wondering how people reach those astronomical numbers I see on the most popular stories. My story got some good feedback right away with a bunch of readers but once I was off the Latest Releases list growth has slowed by... a lot. Any tips on how to keep attracting new readers?

In general, I'm also wondering if there's a good guide for new authors?

Sorry if this is (almost definitely) a question that has been asked many times before. I did do a forum search but couldn't easily find anything relevant. Probably there, buried beneath hundreds of posts.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
they keep posting....and posting...and posting...

or they do what that goat book did, make a synopsis and novel title such that anyone and everyone will check it out, if only out of morbid curiosity

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
People being on the site since the early days helps a lot in getting views, since they got them when there was less competition.

Updating regularly and making high quality releases is also pretty important.

Making a good synopsis that will draw the readers is absolutely crucial to make people try out your story.

Having good first chapters that hook the reader is extremely important as the first 10minutes of content you provide are what will usually define if someone will keep reading your story or give up on it. Make sure to spend some time making sure your first few chapters are entertaining and not boring. It's fine to have a slow pace, but make sure the slow pace is still a nice and enjoyable ride instead of a slog that will eventually read the good part.

Having an existing audience and bringing them to Scribblehub might have also helped some people.

Properly tagging your story in order to make it easier to find also helps.

Having a good cover and a catchy title is very useful.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Hey everyone! I just posted my first story here on SH and I'm wondering how people reach those astronomical numbers I see on the most popular stories. My story got some good feedback right away with a bunch of readers but once I was off the Latest Releases list growth has slowed by... a lot. Any tips on how to keep attracting new readers?

Sorry if this is (almost definitely) a question that has been asked many times before. I did do a forum search but couldn't easily find anything relevant. Probably there, buried beneath hundreds of posts.
Post regularly and post at specific times so readers know when to expect a release. Otherwise they will only view your work sporadically and wont know when to check.

When I was posting a chapter every day, I saw a massive growth in viewership.

Also, have decent grammar.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Thanks, everyone :)
That's about what I expected. I'll stick to it!
thats fine. But after a while you gotta make them want it. A chapter every day makes them complacent. You gotta hook them on the drug, then take it away. Me? I make my readers suffer. A sudden unexpected hiatus of several weeks to months makes them ravenous for more,

virgilknightley

thats fine. But after a while you gotta make them want it. A chapter every day makes them complacent. You gotta hook them on the drug, then take it away. Me? I make my readers suffer. A sudden unexpected hiatus of several weeks to months makes them ravenous for more,
Not sure if this is a joke or not lol

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
and if you're lucky, it might even inspire them to write successful novels themselves! Like for example, "Expression of discontent towards the author", my favorite psychological romance action sci fi

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
and if you're lucky, it might even inspire them to write successful novels themselves! Like for example, "Expression of discontent towards the author", my favorite psychological romance action sci fi
This is the definition of 'Never Live it Down.'

BlackKnightX

There was a time when my readers kept increasing at a very fast pace. What I noticed form that time was that I posted a lot. The first day, I posted 3 chapters at once, then one chapter a day until the end of the first arc.

So, that’s it, I think. Just keep posting. Post a hell lot!

I also saw someone abusing this to increase the reader (I use the word abouse here just for fun, so there’s nothing wrong with this); Write short chapter, and posted regularly.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

They all omit the most important aspect, gender bender and girl love sells like slice bread. Same with Litrpg and harem.

That is certainly the hot stuff on this site, and makes things much easier.

BTW, fanfics work too.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
They all omit the most important aspect, gender bender and girl love sells like slice bread. Same with Litrpg and harem.

You forgot smut, in fact a lot of novels that lack some of those tags still do well if there's smut.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Your story has popular tags and the writing seems pretty good. Make sure to keep posting daily at least for the first few weeks, since it'll keep your current readers interested while attracting more. Imo, you're pretty much set up for success, at least on scribblehub. But if you want a clear estimation, go check out Hathnuz's thread, his predictions are often times accurate.

whitesculptor

The princess whispers & the keyboard clacks.
I'd also add the isekai genre, since animes kind of make the trend a thing.
At least that's how I perceive it, could be wrong!
2/3 per week(2~4k words) works pretty well for me, everyday release you might burn out. Possibly ending up in a long break to a dead end.
Above all enjoy what you're doing, for some that may be the hardest feat.

TunTun

they keep posting....and posting...and posting...

or they do what that goat book did, make a synopsis and novel title such that anyone and everyone will check it out, if only out of morbid curiosity
This is dumb

BTW, fanfics work too.
Ding ding ding

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Posting every day is the only way I've been able to get readers. Taking a break, even if it's only for a day and because I feel like crap just seems like I'm disrespecting the people who have been supporting me the most. (Even if they don't actually support me and just want something to pass the time) However, I did have a small hiatus due to receiving fanart of my main heroine wider than she was tall and nude. It was the only fanart I ever received so I was proud but I didn't feel like writing anything for a week after.

RayneStorm

I'd like to know too because even with daily uploads I haven't been getting many readers to my story

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Who told you about that? How do you know that title? Tell Shiro to leave me alone!
Posting every day is the only way I've been able to get readers. Taking a break, even if it's only for a day and because I feel like crap just seems like I'm disrespecting the people who have been supporting me the most. (Even if they don't actually support me and just want something to pass the time) However, I did have a small hiatus due to receiving fanart of my main heroine wider than she was tall and nude. It was the only fanart I ever received so I was proud but I didn't feel like writing anything for a week after.
Oh yeah. Sometimes I get complacent like that too. I get a few excited comments and I'm all, "eh i can afford to go dark for a while" then fuck off for weeks. Sometimes months. But I DO work on other stories in that time, so I'm not entirely idle.

I never received fanart, personally. I have received fanfiction tho. Mainly sex scenes between MC and his mom. Lol I remember a dude who made a fanfiction about the MC being in a Dead Space type of situation. And you know what? That whole thing was just a build up to some sex between him and a horde of Xenomorph babes.

Why? Cuz i once commented that I could see the MC on a space ship later on down the line, being kidnapped by aliens, then a few days later his companions blast open the doors to save him and only to see him clapping alien cheeks. As one does.

Anyway, the rant aside. Yeah. I guess that "inspired" the guy. But instead of just writing that one scene, he wrote a whole 9 to 12k word long chapter about it. The aforementioned sex scene only came like near the end lol.

I liked it, so I edited in the appropriate reactions and dialogue the MC would use cuz the guy said he didnt know how to write him the same way.