Writing Tip for new writers: Copyrights definitions

sak-chii

Professional Procrastinator (Writer)
This is just to help any new writers who ask about the copyright definition. If it is unnecessary, I'll take this down. I am also not entirely sure on the public domain and creative commons since I only use the "all rights reserve". I will edit this thread whenever a new information comes to me.

So I searched for copyright definition. There is no definition placed in SH or in the forums that put definition on the 3 copyrights: "All rights Reserve", "Public Domain" and "Creative commons". I saw this site "https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/question-about-copyright.302/#post-8943" that is base on the readers. Since this is a commonly asked in the server, I thought I might as well make a post in here, unless Tony decides to add the definition in the SH. This will also save time for people to do their research.

So from my understanding and small research during my first time I posted in SH these are the following definition:

CopyrightsDefinition
All Rights Reserved​
  • The work belongs to you. Hence, you own the work and no one can claim it to be theirs. If anyone wants to do something with your work, they will need your permission to do so. Without your permission, no one can use it as you hold the rights.
Public Domain​
  • This makes the work to be owned by the public and not exclusive to you. No one will own the work or claim to be theirs. Hence, they can do anything they want with it even without your permission to do so. Public Domain purest form of open/free, since no one owns or controls the material in any way
"The term “public domain” refers to creative materials that are not protected by intellectual property laws such as copyright, trademark, or patent laws. The public owns these works, not an individual author or artist. Anyone can use a public domain work without obtaining permission, but no one can ever own it"
By: https://fairuse.stanford.edu › overview › public-domain
Creative commons (CC)​
  • You retain ownership of your own work, but you allow others to use it in restricted capacity. they then recognise their work as a derivative of your own and must give appropriates credits where due. They retain ownership of their own works.

Creative commons often has tiers depending one what you are allowing others to do with it. the basis remains that as original owner you are always given the due credit and they make sure to provide links back to your source material. for example you can allow or prevent sharing, adaptations or even commercial use. (Sources from @DaoFox)

"A CC license is used when an author wants to give other people the right to share, use, and build upon a work that they (the author) have created." - Wiki​

Difference between Public Domain and Creative Commons:

openlicensevspublicd.jpg

- Sourced from: https://training.instructure.com/co...erence-between-public-domain-and-open-license

Kindly correct me if these definitions are wrong.

Last edited:

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
creative commons should be clarified.

you retain ownership of your own work, but you allow others to use it in restricted capacity. they then recognise their work as a derivative of your own and must give appropriates credits where due. they retain ownership of their own works.

creative commons often has tiers depending one what you are allowing others to do with it. the basis remains that as original owner you are always given the due credit and they make sure to provide links back to your source material. for example you can allow or prevent sharing, adaptations or even commercial use.

while your current description makes it sound like you gain ownership over their work just for being derivative, which is not possible.

sak-chii

creative commons should be clarified.

you retain ownership of your own work, but you allow others to use it in restricted capacity. they then recognise their work as a derivative of your own and must give appropriates credits where due. they retain ownership of their own works.

creative commons often has tiers depending one what you are allowing others to do with it. the basis remains that as original owner you are always given the due credit and they make sure to provide links back to your source material. for example you can allow or prevent sharing, adaptations or even commercial use.

while your current description makes it sound like you gain ownership over their work just for being derivative, which is not possible.

Well, I took it from the general explanation.. and SH never described which tier it is... and it's hard to find the exact definition...

Wait lemme add that in

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
here's the link for those considering it. Everything you need to know will be best explained there as well. including the process of picking which license you will opt in to. while i called it tiers based on my perspective and memory, it seems the official term is licenses, as in you grant others a license to do XX with your story. personally I would never allow someone to use my work for commercial purposes, because if they are making money from it, then I deserve to get a part of it for the hard work I put in xD

Last edited:

LoweCypher

Sorry, confused here...
Where does fanfic fall under?
Not that I'm lazy but with only three options with no answers coming up after searching, I dunno what to do here...

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Sorry, confused here...
Not that I'm lazy but with only three options with no answers coming up after searching, I dunno what to do here...
Fanfics are yours and nobody can use them without your authorization, but you can't monetize them in any form because you don't own the original work.

LoweCypher

Fanfics are yours and nobody can use them without your authorization, but you can't monetize them in any form because you don't own the original work.
So... Creative Commons (like one guy said in the other thread) or All Rights Reserved?

sak-chii

I think it might be creative commons? Hmm.. but CC has lots of tiers as Dao said.

LoweCypher

I guess I'll put my fic under Creative Commons for now atleast, until we can get an actual confirmation where Fanfiction should go into.

Copyright is a very confusing thing when you don't have anyone knowing about how laws work around and just trying to understand it on our own isn't really gonna cut it.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
With the amount of AUs out there in the internet, can we consider cartoons and anime to be Public Domain/Open License since people openly sell doujin lmao

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
With the amount of AUs out there in the internet, can we consider cartoons and anime to be Public Domain/Open License since people openly sell doujin lmao
Public Domain? No.

But well, anyone can write a fanfic/doujinshi of whatever they want, no matter what the copyright of said thing is~

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
Question, what if my novel contains references?
Like tekken and stuff

sak-chii

Question, what if my novel contains references?
Like tekken and stuff
References to another novel ?

Tbh, I have stopped writing since jan 2020 (too busy with other stuffs) so I kinda forgot all about the copyright things.

I dont know the laws and such legally but I just look up and compiled it to the best of my understandings then (when I posted this thread).

The creative commons is sth that I'm not too sure. Daofox posted a link on CC. https://creativecommons.org/

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Sorry, confused here...
Fanfics are treated as copyright infringement. It is illegal. The original author can sue you at any time.

As for what to put when you publish a fanfic here, that's up to you. You are infringing other's copyright, but your own creation has copyright and nobody else can infringe on your copyright.

If you don't want others to defile your fanfic, you can put it as All Rights Reserved, which means you're not allowing anyone else to change or write using your original characters or plot.

If you relinquish all rights to your fanfic, put it as Public Domain. This means you cease having any legal rights over it.

If you want to retain the rights to your fanfic, but doesn't mind others writing stories making use of elements of your fanfic, then Creative Commons. Please be aware that when you use Creative Commons, you need to inform which Creative Commons you're using. Creative Commons is not a one-size fits all. It is a blanket term for several different licenses. Below are some of them.

Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 "CC-BY-SA 3.0" This license requires you to release any modifications you make to the art/literary work in question under the same license.
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 "CC-BY 3.0" This license requires you to attribute the author of the content in the way that they specify. Provided the author is properly credited, it is generally safe to use this content in a commercial work.
Copyright-Only Dedication (Public Domain) "CC0" This license is equivalent to the Public Domain. There are therefore no legal concerns with using it, and it is safe to use in any project.

Other Creative Commons licenses include:
CC-BY = Credits the author
CC-BY-NC = Credits the author, noncommercial use only.
CC-BY-ND = Credits the author, no derivatives or adaptations permitted.
CC-BY-NC-SA = Credits the author, noncommercial use only, share adaptations under the same terms.
CC-BY-NC-ND = Credits the author, noncommercial use only, no derivatives or adaptations permitted.

Wait, what the heck? Ai-chan replied to a one year old thread.

Last edited: