Do I count

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
Hey there, good day. Just a short question. When you finish publishing a chapter, then read it as a viewer, do you count as one? Just wanted to know since there's been instances where I just read through it and then find that the viewer count increased.

Hey there, good day. Just a short question. When you finish publishing a chapter, then read it as a viewer, do you count as one? Just wanted to know since there's been instances where I just read through it and then find that the viewer count increased.
yes

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
You can also like your own work.

Jemini

Yes, it counts. Even clicking on the "view chapter" option that appears after you publish will increase your view count by 1.

_oinkchan

Yes it counts.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Yes, it counts. Even clicking on the "view chapter" option that appears after you publish will increase your view count by 1.
I've never known this to be the case for me. I would be having a zero as a view count for several minutes.

LostLibrarian

I've never known this to be the case for me. I would be having a zero as a view count for several minutes.
Viewer numbers don't update every few seconds.
But you can force it to update through a rating of the story and then press F5 to see the number rise...
Every click on any page counts as a view, each call of a chapter is a "chapter view" no matter who does it.

Viewer numbers don't update every few seconds.
But you can force it to update through a rating of the story and then press F5 to see the number rise...
Every click on any page counts as a view, each call of a chapter is a "chapter view" no matter who does it.
favorites also refresh it I think.

JMMatheis

It takes time. The other day for me it said 0 for ten minutes, then suddenly I had 6.
6 people did not read it in that 20 seconds, that is for certain!

Also, hearts do not update in the 'table of contents' view at the same time either. When replying to a comment I noticed the heart count was 3 and when I went back to the stats view it still said 2.

Takes time.

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
It takes time. The other day for me it said 0 for ten minutes, then suddenly I had 6.

Also, hearts do not update in the 'table of contents' view at the same time either. When replying to a comment I noticed the heart count was 3 and when I went back to the stats view it still said 2.

Takes time.
Sometimes after I finish writing the new chapter from my laptop I go to my phone to read it. Both have the same accounts, so maybe my phone counts as a different viewer 🤔

JMMatheis

Sometimes after I finish writing the new chapter from my laptop I go to my phone to read it. Both have the same accounts, so maybe my phone counts as a different viewer 🤔

I would say the phone counts as another view. I do the same thing, to make sure everything is formatting correctly. I have noticed that my views of my chapters has added extra views on the count, (but strangely, not always, I think it might have to do with how long I am viewing the page).

Either way, don't worry too much. It refreshes, sometimes a little slower, sometimes a little faster. Especially between the different views, such as the Story page and the Dashboard pages.

Takes time.
They update in the Edit chapters tab.

That is rather obnoxious. I'd be really nice if SH could make your views of stories you author not count. It kinda defeats the purpose as is.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
That is rather obnoxious. I'd be really nice if SH could make your views of stories you author not count. It kinda defeats the purpose as is.
The number of views an author puts in their own story is too small for it to matter. Like, if you check your series 10x per day and have 1000 views/day in one day, you'll only amount for 1% of your views anyways, so... It's not really impactful in any way.

Also, if an author wanted to try gaming the system to try gaining extra views, they could just do so by using a private window or something, so... Really, it's not as if it was a particularly large hurdle to clear.

So really, not obnoxious nor defeating the purpose at all. Your own views on your story are simply too small in number to impact the numbers on the long run.

Leyligne

The number of views an author puts in their own story is too small for it to matter. Like, if you check your series 10x per day and have 1000 views/day in one day, you'll only amount for 1% of your views anyways, so... It's not really impactful in any way.

So really, not obnoxious nor defeating the purpose at all. Your own views on your story are simply too small in number to impact the numbers on the long run.
Lots of authors get less than 100 views per chapter. My own views take up a good 50% of my page views. But then, I royally suck.
I think it’s best to put it, “a successful story will have negligible author views”, but then again, I suck at words.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Lots of authors get less than 100 views per chapter. My own views take up a good 50% of my page views. But then, I royally suck.
I think it’s best to put it, “a successful story will have negligible author views”, but then again, I suck at words.
I mean, if your novel has a low enough view count to the point that your views actively impact the total number of viewers... Then I think your views aren't being particularly troublesome to you, as you're still well-aware of about how many views you're getting per chapter, nor is it being troublesome to the system as a whole, since your novel still has a low view count even after counting your own views.

So... While I can understand that it may make a difference for smaller novels, I don't think it's particularly troublesome even in those scenarios.