Real names.

SailusGebel

So, there were a few threads with discussions; how to come up with a name for a character? But I had this sudden thought, what about real names? I made this thread to ask you two questions. First one, what do you think of your own name? There is no need to write your real name. I ask you to state only your feelings about it. Do you like it, or do you dislike it? Perhaps you find your name boring, or maybe you think it's an embarrassing name? Something like this. The second question is, who and why gave this name to you? Your parents, grandparents, maybe sister or brother, aunt, uncle? Did they, or he or she name you after a relative? Or maybe, they simply thought the name sounded well?

I would talk about my name as an example. My father insisted on naming me after a character from a movie. I do think this name fits me, but at the same time, it's weird.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Seeing as how my real name is common AF(at least where I'm from), Think something like Matthew or John, idk. I'm used to seeing it all the time, my father wanted me to have some long ass cool name but my mother was like "nah, let's just name him something generic. I know that it actually has a meaning behind it but it doesn't change the fact that I was called my last name for the entirety of highschool because my name was common and all the variations of nicknames were already taken.

TL;DR: I don't care, but I would personally avoid it in my stories for said character to not look like an SI.

BlackKnightX

So, there were a few threads with discussions; how to come up with a name for a character? But I had this sudden thought, what about real names? I made this thread to ask you two questions. First one, what do you think of your own name? There is no need to write your real name. I ask you to state only your feelings about it. Do you like it, or do you dislike it? Perhaps you find your name boring, or maybe you think it's an embarrassing name? Something like this. The second question is, who and why gave this name to you? Your parents, grandparents, maybe sister or brother, aunt, uncle? Did they, or he or she name you after a relative? Or maybe, they simply thought the name sounded well?

I would talk about my name as an example. My father insisted on naming me after a character from a movie. I do think this name fits me, but at the same time, it's weird.
My real name is good. It has good meaning and is easy to remember, so no complain here.

Never ask my parent why they gave me this name, though. But I think they probably found it on some naming books or something.

killwrites

Need motivation
My real name has a Chinese origin, so imagine having such a name in a certain society outside of China...

But it has a meaning to it that probably only I, my parents and native chinese will understand, so that's cool

GodlyKamui

Onee-san Smut Enjoyer
I have a roman (and very common) name. Most people tell me that it suits me, but there's some acquaintances who call me a totally different name which pisses me off because my name is not that difficult to remember... :blob_catflip::blob_catflip::blob_catflip:

Layenlml

Well my name was from someone my mother saw in a series and she liked the name qs for the meaning is 'Warrior', don't know if she knew about the meaning tho.

Nothing much to say about liking it or not since is normal to grow without caring about something like a name, and when you do care you are too used to it.

There is very few examples of someone not liking their name to the point that they really want to change it to something else...

SailusGebel

Well my name was from someone my mother saw in a series and she liked the name qs for the meaning is 'Warrior', don't know if she knew about the meaning tho.

Nothing much to say about liking it or not since is normal to grow without caring about something like a name, and when you do care you are too used to it.

There is very few examples of someone not liking their name to the point that they really want to change it to something else...
It's rare, but my friend changed his name. So perhaps someone here doesn't like his or her name, not to the point of changing it, but still dislikes it.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation

I kind of don't generally feel like my name is there. It comes up in conversations but generally it's rarer than "you" / other placeholders for name. Like, I know it's there, but I don't care, cher, if I were fair, it's not like it's that rare.

SailusGebel

I kind of don't generally feel like my name is there. It comes up in conversations but generally it's rarer than "you" / other placeholders for name. Like, I know it's there, but I don't care, cher, if I were fair, it's not like it's that rare.
And who named you and why?

Layenlml

It's rare, but my friend changed his name. So perhaps someone here doesn't like his or her name, not to the point of changing it, but still dislikes it.
The question is, ¿why? Was the name itself? Or was some experience like bullying of something else added to it?

Personally, I will feel weird if I change my name, especially since I don't have a real reason for it. Must be something heavy for changing it.

Even in gender change many people I saw use a female/male version of their original Male/Female name. Or at least something that sounds similar

Aouliuo

Not to the level of outright dislike, but between my name and me, there exists a bit of a gap. If you called out my name in a room, I would probably not notice.

Rather than an issue with how my parents named me, however, I'd say it's just an interesting quirk of mine to not be attached to it.

I do know several people/friends of mine in the lgtbq+ community who throw away their names entirely (like said above, changing it similarly. A few are more extreme though). Look up 'dead name' for more context if you're interested.

SailusGebel

The question is, ¿why? Was the name itself? Or was some experience like bullying of something else added to it?

Personally, I will feel weird if I change my name, especially since I don't have a real reason for it. Must be something heavy for changing it.

Even in gender change many people I saw use a female/male version of their original Male/Female name. Or at least something that sounds similar
Well, I won't specify the details, but yeah, he disliked this name. He chose another one that is very common in my country.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I have many names, that I use in many contexts in my life. Even my birth name became just a nickname for me.

I tried to make it real and give meaning to it, but it became a worthless label against my will no matter how hard I tried to make it otherwise.

Agentt

Thighs
I love my name! Its very old, with sanskrit origins, and its quite unique too. But people tell me it sounds like a girl's name.

Plantorsomething

Being trans, I chose my own name so J like it lol. Honestly, it’s a pretty similar process but less rigorous than choosing my own name.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I personally think that all names have some form of meaning. I have noticed that some people's personalities have some connection to their name's meaning. That said, it isn't the case for everyone. Probably because many people don't care about the meaning of names and just name their kids something because it sounds cool... or stupid. once met a guy named Bounty Jones Cash. His parents named him that because they thought it sounded cool and because they thought the initials BJ Cash would be funny.

SailusGebel

I personally think that all names have some form of meaning. I have noticed that some people's personalities have some connection to their name's meaning. That said, it isn't the case for everyone. Probably because many people don't care about the meaning of names and just name their kids something because it sounds cool... or stupid. once met a guy named Bounty Jones Cash. His parents named him that because they thought it sounded cool and because they thought the initials BJ Cash would be funny.
Cool story, but how should I say this? :blob_hmm: I didn't ask about this, and I don't care about this. What I do care about is answers to my questions. What do you think of your own name? Who and why named you like that? If you don't want to answer, ignore me.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
My name used to be unique but lately there are a lot of more people with it. Yet the way it is spelled is unique compared to other variations. It's a hispanic name. c: And I am proud how all my fellow Americans butcher the name!

My grandmother gave me this name. And I wear it like a badge of honor. c: She thought it was unique and sounded beautiful, so she gave it to me. She also got it from a journalist who died of cancer. Hopefully I don't meet that same fate. xP