Hackers

NikkuNii

Socially awkward Vampire/Yandere Madlad
That's it just hackers. I push someone to write something about hackers cuz idk enough about hacking and coding to write it and im too busy (lazy) to learn.

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
You don't need to know anything about hacking. Writing about real hacking would be super boring~

NikkuNii

Socially awkward Vampire/Yandere Madlad
You don't need to know anything about hacking. Writing about real hacking would be super boring~
But Watchdogs was great. And WhoAmI was better (check it out, it's on Netflix)

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
That's it just hackers. I push someone to write something about hackers cuz idk enough about hacking and coding to write it and im too busy (lazy) to learn.
Hacking? Just use social engineering because that’s more what hacking is really about these days. The greatest vulnerability to exploit these days are humans rather than the systems themselves.

Stuff like SQL injection won’t cut it these days since people introduced character limits on input boxes. Then brute forcing shit is just not viable so long as the password is long enough. If you introduce password attempts or just two factor authentication good luck with hacking. You can also pay someone off working on the inside to work with you to get into company’s systems. Social engineering techniques would be the best choice. Sending emails to grab IPs, infect computers with Trojans embedded in an image in an email when clicked or just displayed on the screen. But at the end of the day these more modern approaches typically rely on social engineering.

Last edited:

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Hacking? Just use social engineering because that’s more what hacking is really about these days. The greatest vulnerability to exploit these days are humans rather than the systems themselves.
True I would rather read about a cult of personality that rises up because of networking instead of some dude that lives in a garage stealing money over his laptop.

hacking is boring as shit. the most interesting thing to write about would be something like ctf.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
"And then the MC went to StackOverflow for the nth time that hour."

I would guess to add phrases that mention them starting the hacking and let it be. Otherwise, you'd run into saying stuff like downloading more ram.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Write the story you want to read or pay someone to do it.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
is there's even any fiction about hacker that actually close to being realistic?
some weird fiction i know even goes as far to control electrical things that not even connected to the internet.
like, someone mentioned watchdog here, but do you seriously think you can turn off a pacemaker using a remote device? a pacemaker doesn't even have any input data traffic, it can only send information about heartbeat rate

hacking skill is just another attribute of our common isekai MC with their magic or unique skill specialty, it mostly just a means to advancing the plot story.

a fiction about hacker are usually just means one thing : as long as it's electrical, then the hacker can control it.

it's ridiculous, yes. but who cares?

Last edited:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
is there's even any fiction about hacker that actually close to being realistic?
some weird fiction i know even goes as far to control electrical things that not even connected to the internet.
like, someone mentioned watchdog here, but do you seriously think you can turn off a pacemaker using a remote device? a pacemaker doesn't even have any input data traffic, it can only send information about heartbeat rate

hacking skill is just another attribute of our common isekai MC with their magic or unique skill specialty, it mostly just a means to advancing the plot story.

a fiction about hacker are usually just means one thing : as long as it's electrical, then the hacker can control it.

it's ridiculous, yes. but who cares?
I occasionally go about some methods of hacking into stuff in a more realistic manner in some of my stories using the overarching theory behind certain techniques, but to go into the knitty gritty just wouldn’t work in practice for a fiction. Imagine posting the source code for a program in a fictional story, who the hell is going to read it or listen to you describe what each line of code does and it’s significance? I’d think that’s more why you don’t see it done. In reality it’s just not that interesting. You’re basically just wasting time while waiting for an algorithm running on a computer to churn out a result of you’re trying to get in touch with the right people to squeeze the info you need out of them. Or you’re digging about online to find information on a person that they might use in a password. You could just be buying common passwords and shit on the dark web/hacking forums as well for a brute force method then have a program trying out an email list with all those password combinations. If you run into two factor authentication though then old methods of hacking are out and you can only rely on social engineering in the end or somehow infecting the person’s phone/devices with a Trojan if you get their email.

Last edited: