Least Favorite but Common Tropes?

Myewphi

I agree with everything you just said.
the worst part is, it seems like most people agree that those genres are bad, at least everyone I have spoken with has. So the question is, what large group of people are these tropes being eaten up by?

Having a bit of wish fulfillment is all well and good, but when a story becomes an authors wet dream, i cri

FriendlyDragon

Your friendly local dragon~
In terms of tropes I hate, I really dislike the reincarnation to get revenge deal. It's so forced in my opinion and the entire story either just focuses on that part of story (the revenge) or it shifts and the story is completely something else. That's just bad.

Tropes that I hate when executed poorly is a dense protagonist. Like denser than black hole dense. They could literally be having sex with their love interest and still not think that the love interest likes them back.

Myewphi

In terms of tropes I hate, I really dislike the reincarnation to get revenge deal. It's so forced in my opinion and the entire story either just focuses on that part of story (the revenge) or it shifts and the story is completely something else. That's just bad.

Tropes that I hate when executed poorly is a dense protagonist. Like denser than black hole dense. They could literally be having sex with their love interest and still not think that the love interest likes them back.
Romance is my all time favorite genre so I strongly agree on how awful dense protags are. Like, its honestly just lazy writing at that point for the sake of dragging out the plot.

I havent seen the reincarnate to get revenge trope often, then again I haven't read any non isekai reincarnation novels nor do I really read any novels where revenge is a main focus of the plot, but what you describe does sound very painful.

Myewphi

Harem, schools and tournaments. And dumb nobles with dumb young masters.
Im gonna be honest here and admit schools and tournaments, especially ones that would obviously never exist in a real school, are actually a big fav of mine.

That being said, I can totally see why they would be super annoying. Its a suuuper common trope that is borderline overused at this point.

Dumb nobles are pretty annoying, gotta agree there. In fact, just making a character dumb and arrogant seems to be a common way to create a villain despite it being one of the laziest and two dimensional ways to go about it.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
So the question is, what large group of people are these tropes being eaten up by?
Guilty as charged. However, you can't deny the common 5'11" male idiot to give up his dreams on caressing a common schoolgirl.

That said, the one I'd burn on the stake is that main-girl-best-friend troupe. Not the one helping the MC on his quest for romance but the one purposely trying to foil his romantic conquest because she "wants to keep the girl all to myswlf".

At some point you have to look at the mirror and see how obnoxious you are and how you serve as much purpose to the story as much as an ice cube saves global warming.

Myewphi

Guilty as charged. However, you can't deny the common 5'11" male idiot to give up his dreams on caressing a common schoolgirl.

That said, the one I'd burn on the stake is that main-girl-best-friend troupe. Not the one helping the MC on his quest for romance but the one purposely trying to foil his romantic conquest because she "wants to keep the girl all to myswlf".

At some point you have to look at the mirror and see how obnoxious you are and how you serve as much purpose to the story as much as an ice cube saves global warming.
Took me a sec to understand what trope you were talking about but now that I do, I definitely agree that the like, "I hate you stay away from my best friend who I may or may not have feelings for" character is often badly done. I feel like the trope could be done well, but normally its just yet another thing dragging the romance out so that it can last 20 episodes/volumes.

(I think it has been done well once tho, check out Tamako Love Story which is a movie that comes after the Tamako Market anime)

Myewphi

when straight male turned into a girl and get forced to love a guy because of plot.

no matter how well done it is, i will drop it in a heartbeat.
I wouldn't mind it if the guy was originally gay, but gender bender stories always seem to act like just turning into a girl would magically change your sexuality, which is problematic for a lot of reasons. I usually try to avoid gender bender in general.

queenofthefuzzybugs

Harems. May they burn in a pile of trash. :blob_catflip:

Revenge because the host body was mistreated. Common trope in female protag transmigration stories. Host body is usually mistreated for being straight up dumb or so timid an aggressive rabbit might kill them. Just let it go, ya know? Let it go and live stronger than the host body so people don't treat ya like trash.

Assassin-doctor transmigration stories.... Just... So many problems with this one. I don't even know where to start.:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

Romance genre: men who are mean cause they're rich and handsome so they can be and for some reason that makes them attractive. Even worse, the secondary love interest is usually just as rich but NICE and for some reason thats just boring or whatever? Really?

Bosses who "flirt" heavily with the main character who is their employee. They do so even after being told to stop. That's so creepy and disturbing, it bothers me it's even a trope. That's called sexual harassment and its not romantic... :blob_no:

Parent has debt, now children must pay. Are there no debtor protection laws in China? Can debt collection agencies threaten family members and beat people up in broad daylight?? Somehow I doubt it, but you'd never know with this trope.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana

Revenge because the host body was mistreated. Common trope in female protag transmigration stories. Host body is usually mistreated for being straight up dumb or so timid an aggressive rabbit might kill them. Just let it go, ya know? Let it go and live stronger than the host body so people don't treat ya like trash.

Assassin-doctor transmigration stories.... Just... So many problems with this one. I don't even know where to start.:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

Romance genre: men who are mean cause they're rich and handsome so they can be and for some reason that makes them attractive. Even worse, the secondary love interest is usually just as rich but NICE and for some reason thats just boring or whatever? Really?

Bosses who "flirt" heavily with the main character who is their employee. They do so even after being told to stop. That's so creepy and disturbing, it bothers me it's even a trope. That's called sexual harassment and its not romantic... :blob_no:

Parent has debt, now children must pay. Are there no debtor protection laws in China? Can debt collection agencies threaten family members and beat people up in broad daylight?? Somehow I doubt it, but you'd never know with this trope.

awww yeah I agree with this as well. The assassin doctor thingy with freezer like personality. They are doctors but also has no qualms poisoning people, doesn't even help when needed because you know... they're too badass to care. Assassin but due to severe training develope twisted personality like... faaaark!

Myewphi

oh some of these are giving me flashbacks to when my friend got me to read a bunch of shoujo manga. It's kinda scary how romance stories with female leads are so,,, yknow. Cause flirting obviously means being extremely pushy at all times!
You always KNOW the girl is gonna end up with the mysterious/rebellious/kinda douchey guy no matter what, and never forget the fabled "taking care of stray animals" scene to make the edgy love interest seem soft