Writing What Makes the most op mc

HeartPiercingSpear

So it's like this guys, I have been thinking of making an OP mc for my new novel, but I have some troubles thinking about what things can make him one.
Please give your suggestions on what I can do.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
If we were to go by the thread title, what would make the most OP MC would be the ability to make whatever he wants happen, happen. Need to kill off some great evil? The MC could just think, I want them dead, and they become dead. MC wants to be rich? Gold materializes out of nowhere. And so on.

That being said, your novel would probably not be interesting if you make your MC too OP.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Opness is a matter of relativity. There are no op characters, there are only stronger characters in comparison. A strong character in universe A hasn't to be a strong character in universe B like for example the Culture, aside from the logical cohesion that is often lackluster when it comes to this kind of novels.

Storymask

If we were to go by the thread title, what would make the most OP MC would be the ability to make whatever he wants happen, happen. Need to kill off some great evil? The MC could just think, I want them dead, and they become dead. MC wants to be rich? Gold materializes out of nowhere. And so on.

That being said, your novel would probably not be interesting if you make your MC too OP.

Sounds a lot like that kid from that old Twilight Zone movie. The kid could pretty much make whatever he wanted to happen and everyone was afraid of him because of it... plus how he used it against them didn't help in getting them to like him either...

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So it's like this guys, I have been thinking of making an OP mc for my new novel, but I have some troubles thinking about what things can make him one.
Please give your suggestions on what I can do.
Do what i did and literally make a being representative of heaven itself wanna suck his fat flaccid cock till hard.

Give him amazing luck. Make him handsome beyond compare so girls basically wanna either rape him or worship him. And of course he must be strong as fuck physically too. Magically? Let him casually recreate spirit bombs or EXPLOSIONS *Megumin's voice* that send people flying.

Finally allow him to smoke weed as a pass time and have hallucinations about his best friend's mother. Perhaps make him see his adoptive daughter's brother, as a giant blunt begging to be puffed.

Do anything even CLOSE to those and you have yourself one OP Heaven-Fucking son of a bitch.

Of course if you are just asking for an op power instead of how to make a Gary Stu character...you can't go wrong with looking at the Superpower Wiki

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Endless regeneration, infinite stamina, pain immunity, and add in some strength and speed. Make them stubborn, and there's not much most people could do to stop that.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Depends what you want. Do you want the Overlord kind of OP or Smartphone Isekai kind of OP?

FaerNC

Rather than that, you should ask how to make an OP mc compelling and intriguing. To be just OP would not make a good story, Overlord shows an OP mc thats also not all-powerful, while One punch man shows an OP mc limited by his personality, what did the authors of these two novel/webcomic do that made these stories a success rather than something like smartphone or death march?

Jemini

There is really only one thing that makes a protagonist OP. The ability to easily beat the next strongest guy in your universe. As someone before said, opness is a matter of relativity. So, I guess the first question you need to ask is what the power scale of your world is.

Take "Reincarnated as a slime" for example. The protagonist in that story seemed pretty OP in terms of his power set, but then you find out what the other big figures in the world can do and discover that he's just a kinda medium size fish when compared to the biggest guys in world. But, then again, his biggest cheat is his ability that allows for rapid growth, which allows him to easily overcome those ridiculous threats by the time he actually butts heads with them.

EDIT: That in mind, I would say there are really 2 cheats that are the most OP. 1 a growth cheat. Anything that allows your MC to grow and gain new powers quickly. 2. a knowledge cheat. Something that gives your MC information which can allow them to evaluate threats and the best way to deal with them. The map ability in "Death March to Another World" would be a prime example of a knowledge cheat that doesn't seem like much at first, but as the series goes on you quickly discover it is WAY OP just for how it allows the MC to find anything he's looking for in an instant. In fact, it's such an OP cheat that the author seems to have written himself into a corner and has to come up with increasingly contrived ways to challenge his MC, and the first thing he has had to face that ever felt like a legit threat is the demon god. (Because demon king is, quite legit, not enough to threaten him anymore. He can take out three of those as easiy as taking out the trash. Literally. It has happened in series.)

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

In order to make your character OP, you have to put the focus away from the abilities and more on the growth and feel. An OP character has to have struggles in which he/she can overcome in an instant in a believable way.

Dr. Stone, for example. In that world, he's technically OP. With superb intelligence and a built social-circle which isn't bullshit from the start. Man's got his plans done three steps ahead from hunky-I-hate-humans antagonist there and uses his IQ 100 to outdo the enemy.

In fact, throw in some challenges for the OP character. Dr. Stone again. When he made the phone, he was cornered by this chick with a former idol back when the world isn't Medusa'd. He managed to lie his way to the end until he got called out. With that, he uses his intellect and manage to convince that chick to become his spy.

Don't just give the guy OP powers in standby. Make it so that he seems limited but is crafty and is able to use everything to its full advantage to get through everything.

Jemini

In order to make your character OP, you have to put the focus away from the abilities and more on the growth and feel. An OP character has to have struggles in which he/she can overcome in an instant in a believable way.

Dr. Stone, for example. In that world, he's technically OP. With superb intelligence and a built social-circle which isn't bullshit from the start. Man's got his plans done three steps ahead from hunky-I-hate-humans antagonist there and uses his IQ 100 to outdo the enemy.

In fact, throw in some challenges for the OP character. Dr. Stone again. When he made the phone, he was cornered by this chick with a former idol back when the world isn't Medusa'd. He managed to lie his way to the end until he got called out. With that, he uses his intellect and manage to convince that chick to become his spy.

Don't just give the guy OP powers in standby. Make it so that he seems limited but is crafty and is able to use everything to its full advantage to get through everything.

I'm forced to disagree with this one. The question was how to make the most OP main character. Not how to sneak an OP character into your story and make them relatable.

This is not even proper advice on how to make a good story despite an OP main character. This is just a stylistic choice and how to put a rug over the fact that your character is OP.

Some of the best anime with OP protagonists in the past 5 years have been Overlord, One Punch Man, and Mob Psycho 100. None of those three did what you say here. In fact, the protagonists of those respective series were very openly super OP and in the case of the later 2, the premise of the entire series is the fact that the MC is OP to the point of being undefeatable.

So, we have a pretty good example here in the form of these 3 sources on how to do OP right. It is to give the MC something different to struggle with. The act of beating the enemy is clearly not a struggle for them, and struggling against a powerful opponent is a cheap source of conflict anyway. So, the MC being WAY too OP to ever struggle against an enemy forces the writer to come up with other more interesting sources for conflict for the MC.

In the case of Overlord, Ainz struggles with his image. He struggles to be seen as a good leader and to please the NPCs that were turned into real people. And, in pleasing them, he is dragged down the path of evil. In the case of One Punch Man, Saitama struggles with the crippling depression he gets from having already overcome every other struggle. This eventually leads to him getting into video games, where the stats of his character are nowhere near his actual physical stats. And, in the case of Mob Psycho 100, Mob struggles with his desire to be accepted and to make friends. He is the most powerful psychic in the world, but he just wants to be normal and would rather not have those powers at all. This leads to him having to stand up and protect those friends once he makes them.

So, work-place image, depression, and highschool friends. All three of these popular anime with OP protagonists build incredibly relatable OP protagonists by having them really struggle with something very relatable to the average person, and their OP powers do not help them at all with these struggles. In fact, if anything, they make them worse. (In the case of Saitama, his OP abilities are actually the source of his depression.) Not many people can relate to the struggle of having to overpower the villain in order to save the kingdom. I would say zero people can relate to something like that. However, people really enjoy seeing an OP hero who can kick everyone's rear without breaking a sweat turn around and struggle with something they can totally relate to. Seeing those relatable struggles allows them to identify with the character, and that in turn makes the reader who is already identifying with the MC get an even bigger thrill out of it when they start bashing some heads like the reader wishes they could do themselves.

BenJepheneT

I'm forced to disagree with this one. The question was how to make the most OP main character. Not how to sneak an OP character into your story and make them relatable.

This is not even proper advice on how to make a good story despite an OP main character. This is just a stylistic choice and how to put a rug over the fact that your character is OP.

Some of the best anime with OP protagonists in the past 5 years have been Overlord, One Punch Man, and Mob Psycho 100. None of those three did what you say here. In fact, the protagonists of those respective series were very openly super OP and in the case of the later 2, the premise of the entire series is the fact that the MC is OP to the point of being undefeatable.

So, we have a pretty good example here in the form of these 3 sources on how to do OP right. It is to give the MC something different to struggle with. The act of beating the enemy is clearly not a struggle for them, and struggling against a powerful opponent is a cheap source of conflict anyway. So, the MC being WAY too OP to ever struggle against an enemy forces the writer to come up with other more interesting sources for conflict for the MC.

In the case of Overlord, Ainz struggles with his image. He struggles to be seen as a good leader and to please the NPCs that were turned into real people. And, in pleasing them, he is dragged down the path of evil. In the case of One Punch Man, Saitama struggles with the crippling depression he gets from having already overcome every other struggle. This eventually leads to him getting into video games, where the stats of his character are nowhere near his actual physical stats. And, in the case of Mob Psycho 100, Mob struggles with his desire to be accepted and to make friends. He is the most powerful psychic in the world, but he just wants to be normal and would rather not have those powers at all. This leads to him having to stand up and protect those friends once he makes them.

So, work-place image, depression, and highschool friends. All three of these popular anime with OP protagonists build incredibly relatable OP protagonists by having them really struggle with something very relatable to the average person, and their OP powers do not help them at all with these struggles. In fact, if anything, they make them worse. (In the case of Saitama, his OP abilities are actually the source of his depression.) Not many people can relate to the struggle of having to overpower the villain in order to save the kingdom. I would say zero people can relate to something like that. However, people really enjoy seeing an OP hero who can kick everyone's rear without breaking a sweat turn around and struggle with something they can totally relate to. Seeing those relatable struggles allows them to identify with the character, and that in turn makes the reader who is already identifying with the MC get an even bigger thrill out of it when they start bashing some heads like the reader wishes they could do themselves.
yea misread the question my bad

Saitama struggles with the crippling depression
damn you had to do my boy that bad huh