How to become a popular author?

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
Not only how to become one but what causes it to be one, does it matter, and what tags are there other than that?

expentio

A title that is easy to find and triggers the search bar might help. Something people tend to look up like demon, space, or isekai.

CypherTails

Not only how to become one but what causes it to be one, does it matter, and what tags are there other than that?
General idea is to be authentic, write about what you are passionate about. If you like the stuff you are writing about the quality goes up. That means don't put tags to serve the algorithm if you have no idea about it. So Yuri/Boys love and gender bender are popular but only touch those if you are LGBTQ or if you genuinely like reading those genres. (that's why I don't touch those tags)

I did some research and found the tags Isekai and Litrpg to be really good for story traction. Do litrpg only if you like games/rpgs. Isekai needs to be handled with care, because you need a reason for the Isekai. As much as truck kun is a meme the success of truck kun is limited on the top stories (2k+ reader stories that are still running, dead stories don't compete for trending much). A good place to start is for the perfect person to be thrown into that specific situation. Basically a perfect fit for the new world, where the character's strengths are essential and their weaknesses have a diminished effect. As far as I can tell readers want a character at the helm not a self insert MC. So make sure your character is 3D and not just some edgelord meme king.

Fantasy is a good tag too and quite easy to get into if you like anime. I would say safe tags to use are isekai and fantasy due to their flexibility.

Smut is surprisingly difficult to write well so approach that with caution. Why? Because there are only so many positions to use and it gets old surprisingly quickly unless you make the character fuck something/someone new every week.

Final important thing is to make a unique part of your story. Make it stand out, generic drivel usually doesn't work because reader interest falls off quite rapidly if it is generic.

Sp4de

I kinda just wrote what I thought was cool, and got better at it over time. Then again, it was a generic isekai, though with a bit of scientific and philosophical elements. Also, you gotta keep writing. Keep posting chapters on a regular basis. Let your readers continue to snowball into thousands of views.
As for those saying give the readers what they want... I never did that. I may have taken some advice, some people reminded me of something that should've been i the story but I forgot about, etc. But I never specifically catered to their exact tastes. After all, they came to me for my story. If they like it, then great. If they don't, then there's nothing I can do. Don't try to get everyone else on board just to ruin it for the people who first came. Write your own story. Do it with passion and excitement. Be authentic about your craft.
It's why my first story, despite being my first piece and a slice of crap overall, nearly has a million views over the course of a couple years. I stuck with it, and no matter how bad i think it is, I'm going to finish it. My readers know this, and they like where it's gone.
As for tags and all that, just put what's significant in your story, Don't go over the top with them. Just give your reader a general idea. You wanna draw them in with the topics they like, and your synopsis give them more specifics. They form an image in their head, and then read the story.
There. Some hopefully solid advice :)

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Already talking like a rich white bussiness man
Or should I say… globalist
I kinda just wrote what I thought was cool, and got better at it over time. Then again, it was a generic isekai, though with a bit of scientific and philosophical elements. Also, you gotta keep writing. Keep posting chapters on a regular basis. Let your readers continue to snowball into thousands of views.
As for those saying give the readers what they want... I never did that. I may have taken some advice, some people reminded me of something that should've been i the story but I forgot about, etc. But I never specifically catered to their exact tastes. After all, they came to me for my story. If they like it, then great. If they don't, then there's nothing I can do. Don't try to get everyone else on board just to ruin it for the people who first came. Write your own story. Do it with passion and excitement. Be authentic about your craft.
It's why my first story, despite being my first piece and a slice of crap overall, nearly has a million views over the course of a couple years. I stuck with it, and no matter how bad i think it is, I'm going to finish it. My readers know this, and they like where it's gone.
As for tags and all that, just put what's significant in your story, Don't go over the top with them. Just give your reader a general idea. You wanna draw them in with the topics they like, and your synopsis give them more specifics. They form an image in their head, and then read the story.
There. Some hopefully solid advice :)
Scribblehub appreciates trash better than good stroies

MisterSyafiq

Just walk on the dark path by writting hentai and smut. That was easier way to be popular written here.
Well... Just take the consequences your self such as day dreaming all day and getting some illusion prob.
Personally, I didn't reccomendate that way
Still... Just what the base reason you decided to write?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Carefully.

Honestly, though, write what inspires you. Your passion will shine through the story, and that will attract readers. It won't be authentic if you try to write what's popular just for the sake of gaining popularity.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Already talking like a rich white bussiness man
I was going to argue with you, but then I looked at the US president and the democrats in general and went, "fair enough"
Get gud.

No. Really. Get good. Want ro get good? Research at least 20 hours a week and write 40 hours a week. In a few years you'll get good.

All the tricks and bs wont help you if you suck.

Work at it until you are good or quit and do something else.

Last edited:

WincumCestalot

Damnit. I came here to say 'get gud' but was beaten to it.

Different opinion on how to get gud tho. Words. Then more words. Lots and lots of words. It's one of the best ways to get gud. Long as you can handle people stabbing you with their words, pulling those words back out and stabbing back at them with sharper words.

Cause seriously, they're gonna try to tear your heart out.

Good luck!