Why do some people give low ratings even though they haven’t read your story yet?

HappyVainGlory

I don’t see the point. I get it if you read a story to 30 chapters and the author disappoints you. But some people read just one chapter! One!! And they rate the story 1 star why? Like bruh I don’t get it. Someone pls explain

Various reasons.
  • Out of principle for disliking a tag/premise/trope/genre etc.
  • To troll and get a rise out of you without any repurcussions
  • Because the first chapter was so offputting they felt strongly enough to one star it
  • Because they dislike you personally
  • Because you take it personally
  • Because they want to see if they have the power to stop you from writing
  • Etc.

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
Well, the one story that I've read one chapter of, since that was the only chapter currently available, was total garbage. It was one paragraph, had barely anything to do with what was written as the description, and just sucked. So, I rated it a two star.

If, in the future they change things, I may take my review back.
What book was it?

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
But some people read just one chapter! One!! And they rate the story 5 star why? Like bruh I don’t get it. Someone pls explain
As a writer you are concerned with all the twists and turns of the story, but the quality of the writing will stay the same. I've read maybe one story where the story changed my overall enjoyment on this site.

SailusGebel

As a writer you are concerned with all the twists and turns of the story, but the quality of the writing will stay the same. I've read maybe one story where the story changed my overall enjoyment on this site.
What?

Erivva

I always read the first chapter and then rate them 5 stars and give hearts to all their chapters just because. Maybe because I know what is like to start from scratch and want to give others a bit of kindness.
That’s lovely
If I read 30 chapters of a story, I'm probably not going to rate it 1 stars, since if it was that bad I wouldn't have read 30 whole chapters of it.

Dropping bad stories is a pretty useful skill. The less time is spent reading bad stories, the more time ends up being spent reading good stories.
Ohh, I get it at this point.
1 star? Oh yeah that's happened to me before. I think it's just because the people are being mean, let me refrase that, bitches
Lol
Various reasons.
  • Out of principle for disliking a tag/premise/trope/genre etc.
  • To troll and get a rise out of you without any repurcussions
  • Because the first chapter was so offputting they felt strongly enough to one star it
  • Because they dislike you personally
  • Because you take it personally
  • Because they want to see if they have the power to stop you from writing
  • Etc.
Bruh, these sound accurate why do they do that though
Because theyre salty of your success
Lol

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
We all know why people leave low ratings without reading, it‘s because a lot of people suck, are entitled, and care little for the effort or feelings of others. It’s the reason you see people get downvoted into oblivion on Reddit for asking questions, that honestly all of us once had. Everyone who‘s used the internet for even a small amount of time has come to this understanding.

iamchangingthissoon

custom title! yay
They removed that, you have to have it in your reading list to give you 1 star now

Just tested it, i am correct

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
But some people read just one chapter! One!! And they rate the story 5 star why? Like bruh I don’t get it. Someone pls explain
The first chapter is the absolute determinant of how other chapters will go. Some people could be reading 10 chapters in but some have the chapter checked on the list.

UnknownSaint171

I think summary and settings play a role in giving a bad impression as well. When I see ecchi harems, I tend to give it 3 stars lol

Akasora

I always read the first chapter and then rate them 5 stars and give hearts to all their chapters just because. Maybe because I know what is like to start from scratch and want to give others a bit of kindness.
These are as bad as 1 star ratings, if you actually want to show kindness give them a proper review and tell them what they did wrong and what they did right.

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
Sometimes they rate you badly because their way of life goes against the novel's. Sometimes it's because they're vegans, irritated all of the time due to malnutrition and hateful about anything.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
These are as bad as 1 star ratings, if you actually want to show kindness give them a proper review and tell them what they did wrong and what they did right.
I'm not that good to give anyone a proper review or tell them what they do right or wrong. I just share a bit of positivity.