Which Trope Are You Most Tired of Seeing?

Mephi

I'm tired of the "must kill everyone and everything for a petty insult" trope. Like, making your MC into an empathy-less, lone murder hobo is no different than all the other clones of the same thing. Having more supporting characters is a good thing. Having long term antagonists are a good thing. Having more characters that are relevant to the story long term is a good thing.

LORD_SHAXX

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-005538_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220623-005538_Google.jpg
    677.8 KB · Views: 33

LORD_SHAXX

Over the top revenge. I found this manga one time can't remember the name but this dude gets betrayed and killed yadda yadda you know the story any way he gets a second chance and comes back and then proceeded to get revenge which I kid you not involved feeding the persons child to the parents. I get it. You want revenge but the moment when you start doing stuff worse then they ever did I'm not gonna take you seriously.

D

Deleted member 57675

The trope where an MC is "kind" and doesn't end problems at the root, instead, letting the antagonists off the hook –– because of which they live and create another form of trouble for the MC, again.
Ah so theres protagonists that are too kind and get stepped on and ones that are hellbent serial killers for the smallest of petty reasons? People should really find the middle.
Over the top revenge. I found this manga one time can't remember the name but this dude gets betrayed and killed yadda yadda you know the story any way he gets a second chance and comes back and then proceeded to get revenge which I kid you not involved feeding the persons child to the parents. I get it. You want revenge but the moment when you start doing stuff worse then they ever did I'm not gonna take you seriously.
Wtf. Damn.

Jamminrabbit

Speed\agility is better than brute strength. Because it's bullshit a lot of times. But whenever it's not bullshit, agility is clearly op and superior, yet characters and worldbuilding try to convince readers that it's not. So, basically, the author tries to mask the plot armor.

I think I summoned Jemini with this rant. Soon I will see a reply that consists of four-five beefy paragraphs explaining how I'm wrong because I'm not someone who did martial arts.
I like how Game of Thrones flipped the script on that multiple times. There were several duels were the guy who was more agile was on the verge of winning, then here comes one good hit from a giant fucking sword or warhammer and it's over. It's almost poetic, because in a lot of games high STR will almost always nuke high DEX/AGI, and it's always the speedybois talking big.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
The trope where an MC is "kind" and doesn't end problems at the root, instead, letting the antagonists off the hook –– because of which they live and create another form of trouble for the MC, again.

Rinse and repeat. I abhor that kind of idiocy in writing. Way too repetitive.
Ah so theres protagonists that are too kind and get stepped on and ones that are hellbent serial killers for the smallest of petty reasons? People should really find the middle.
Well, Tsuyokute New Saga had MC and his swordsman childhood friend playing the "nice guy" and executor. It is the same logic in Reincarnator and Omniscient Reader's View where the good guy can be still good and not having his image tarnished/ hands dirtied while someone else is taking out the trash for him.
Wtf. Damn.
The Hero Who Seeks Revenge Shall Exterminate With Darkness

DeathLight

What I find annoying is characters min/maxing their skills and stats without any care at all of it back firing. Like it shows up as a bonafide character Stat and they just min/max without care for goodness sake. Personally I feel that all stats are important to increase just due to the fact that they show up as Stats in the first place.

forli

I think this is supposed to be a subversion of the “entirely evil race” (topically some kind of demon) by flipping it around and making all the humans evil.
A subversion only really works when the thing you are trying to subvert is actually the norm. Humans being evil and demons good is now WAY more common than the opposite, it doesn't subvert anything at all. A story that makes the demons the evil ones again would be closer to being a subversion at this point.

Zoey

Mustachu
A subversion only really works when the thing you are trying to subvert is actually the norm. Humans being evil and demons good is now WAY more common than the opposite, it doesn't subvert anything at all. A story that makes the demons the evil ones again would be closer to being a subversion at this point.
Theres a reason subversion was in italics. Also most story’s I’ve read with “evil humans” don’t even have a race that’s topically evil to contrast it with.

D

Deleted member 54065

Adventurer's Guild and Game-like System in my fantasy stories.

Why? It felt like the characters aren't people.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Hmm. Guess what i mean is different. I meant a grey character who isn't considered good or their reputation disputsble. Because they can do good things but also bad stuff too. Or like a person who wouldn't let others step on them everytime but also not go out on revenge spree for every single thing.
I think I had this discussion before with Sailus and his comment was "either this or that". A morally grey character is best classified as an anti-hero and yes, they do exist as MC like Wolverine or Punisher.

But when we are going for "pure good guys", ie the ones that bring sunshine and rainbows and shit, they can't step over that boundary. Not even once. Because once they do cross the murder line, it is extremely hard, probably impossible, for them to go back into the role of being a "pure good guy".

It is possible for them to do a stepdown from an altruistic hippie to a battle hardened cynical hero, but once that innocence is lost, it is lost for good. The MC can try and revert back to being a "no-kill" good guy, but he will always be mocked by that one time he soiled his hands whenever he tries to not murder.

ForestDweller

Poor orphan who protect little sister and everyone abuse for absolutely no reason

I mean, that's how it is in real life...
I am kinda sick of the lucky pervert trope. How many times does a male lead need to trip over nothing and in defiance of all logic somehow end up stripping his love interest on the way down before everyone realizes he's just a molester?
I love that trope tbh. But it has to be used sparingly. Or it can be explained in universe as part of the mc's skill.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
The 'humas suck' trope. Making humans be both an inferior race that's weaker than any of the other fantasy races (which makes them the underdogs that is natural to root for) and making them arrogant and evil at the same time. Words cannot describe how much I've come to hate this trope.
but humans do suck tho

aattss

I'm annoyed at the good=stupid/naive trope. How about not pretending that smart good options don't exist in order to be an edgy contrarian.

I can't stand the Heroines beating the shit of the MC when it's not even his fault. You saw your brother's morning wood when waking him up and you punched him hard? I immediately quit watching since the brother didn't bitch slap her back.

When stories normalize such violence without any payback it just shut down my interest. Even as a joke, it's not even remotely funny.

i guess some just love imagining themselves got beaten up by cute anime girls for no reason, but it's just not for me.

Last edited:

human

Isekais that makes the isekai part not matter. The mc either forgets or completely throws away their Earth morals, knowledge, and upbringing faster than Professor Zoom can jerk off the Flash. One of the unique things that isekais provide is an Earth perspective on the things that go on in fantasy worlds. If they don't have that, then why call yourself an isekai?

I recall feeling this way about Saihate no Paladin. It's a fantastic fantasy, I love it a lot, but it's just not isekai. Like, come on, the isekai stuff is barely there, just make it a fantasy novel, why does it have to be an isekai?