What is a good update schedule?

doravg

103/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Updating every day turned out to be too much of a hustle. Updating once per week sounds too little. What is a good updating schedule? I want something that doesn't make me update every day, but keeps the readers interested. Which days are better?

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
Updating every day turned out to be too much of a hustle. Updating once per week sounds too little. What is a good updating schedule? I want something that doesn't make me update every day, but keeps the readers interested. Which days are better?
Well, that depends on why you write, for me, it's whenever plausible.

Zinless

How do I
I'm doing daily updates right now, but I've been thinking to change my schedule to 5-6 chapters a week. Taking a break on certain days in that week.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
maybe three time a week? monday, wesnday/thursday and saturday? that way readers never have to wait too much, and you get to spend multiple days on each chapters.
As far as I know the exact schedule doesn't matter too much, what matters is that you stick to it.

doravg

103/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Well, that depends on why you write, for me, it's whenever plausible.
I write 5 chapters per day. (They are 1k ones, since I write a scene per chapter.) I have the backlog, I am just overwhelmed with uploading for more than one story every single day. I wake up, I upload. Or, I come back from work, I upload. I would like to not upload in some days. Like, Saturday and Sunday. I don't get many views then. Maybe also Mondays. I hate Mondays.
maybe three time a week? monday, wesnday/thursday and saturday? that way readers never have to wait too much, and you get to spend multiple days on each chapters.
As far as I know the exact schedule doesn't matter too much, what matters is that you stick to it.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday sounds good, thanks.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Having experimented with it, there is no point in posting more than one chapter a day. Having tested it at Mid, 6a, noon, 6p, I have determined that 12:00 am GMT is the best time to release it. The algorithm doesn't check more than one upload a day, and it seems to check as itis uploaded. So uploading at midnight am means that you are far more likely to wind up on the trending list.

Why?

Because if you upload at midnight, you are likely to get on the list before anyone else. Once you get on the list, you are more likely to get views, and more likely to STAY on the list.

It is a minor boost, but it exists.

If you can upload 2k a day, every day, I believe that would be ideal. I seem to have noticed that chapters with less than 2k didn't perform as well, but the sample size is low. But 1 chapter a day at midnight GMT is the core for performance.

Kuropon

Depends on how long the chapter is. I go with every other day when chapters are around 2k words and every 3 days if they are around 3k, so in short 1k words per day.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
whatever is good for you and the length of your chapters.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
As long as you update carefully, that's all that matters.

Junaavicii

Make a poll, maybe? The readers will be able to vote their choice.

LilRora

Mostly formless
For ~1k word chapters, the best is daily, because it will keep readers interested constantly. You can multiply this however you want. For example, if you update twice a week, the chapters should be at least ~3k words long so that readers will stay for a while and not just skim through the thousand words, decide that nothing interesteing happened, and drop the story not wanting to wait another 3-4 days.

I think 1k words per day on average is the best amount, but as for how you distribute it, it depends on the story. A lighthearted story would probably end up better with shorter chapters, but a more plot-heavy one needs longer chapters to give readers a good whiff of the story and have lots to think about.