How to write faster?

WhiteArgent

I started making my first light novel and the max words I can reach for a chapter is 1000, how can I write faster?

SailusGebel

Yes I mean writing more.
Writing more and writing faster is not the same. If you want to write faster, practice more.

If you want to write more and make your chapters longer, add the necessary stuff. For example, writing relevant descriptions, small details, metaphors, body language, and facial expressions in dialogues.

D

Deleted member 54065

I started making my first light novel and the max words I can reach for a chapter is 1000, how can I write faster?
You can write faster by planning your story ahead. For example, I can write for an average of 4k - 4.5k words a day (average length of my chapters) because I already know what I wanted to happen in my story. I won't be stuck thinking if this scene is right for this chapter, and/or similar dillemas.

And of course, a self-imposed deadline helps. I'm currently 16k words into my 13th volume in just three days because of: planning, and running after deadlines (three to four weeks from the day I wrote my first chapter for the current volume, and my target total word count is 60k words and up). The editing can take place after you spit out your 'vomit draft' ideas, so don't upload your chaps yet, and don't worry if you're doing it right or wrong for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Writing more and writing faster is not the same. If you want to write faster, practice more.

If you want to write more and make your chapters longer, add the necessary stuff. For example, writing relevant descriptions, small details, metaphors, body language, and facial expressions in dialogues.
yeah you gotta go from, "she suck me long and hard through my jorts" to "she ran her pink little tongue up and down my pitched tent, then unzipped my jorts and gobbled up my cock like a fat kid at the candy store. Had my toesies curling tighter than a ginger's hair."

detail!
metaphor!

Sola-sama

Human Supremacist • African Warlord
yeah you gotta go from, "she suck me long and hard through my jorts" to "she ran her pink little tongue up and down my pitched tent, then unzipped my jorts and gobbled up my cock like a fat kid at the candy store. Had my toesies curling tighter than a ginger's hair."

detail!
metaphor!
Made me chuckle a bit.

In all seriousness, training and planning helps, but most important of all (to me, at least) is motivation to write. What if you're not motivated to write? Then that's your problem. If you need to write under the condition of post-nut-clarity, then do what you must. If you're like a programmer that transmute caffeins into code, then do it. People have different triggers, some methods (like setting self-imposed deadline) works, while others don't. What motivates you to write? You must understand yourself and perhaps pavlov'ed yourself into writing.

otosewrites

There's a limit to how fast you can write without losing quality, but some tricks:
  • Leave placeholders for terms you've forgotten or need to research. This is to reduce distractions from writing. It helps you get the words down on the page. You can come back when editing and fill in the holes later.
  • Turn off your inner critic. I think it's better to just 'let the words flow,' and not worry too much about the quality of your writing when doing the first draft. I find that my writing speed is higher this way than if I try to get it perfect on the first try.
  • Think through stuff before you write. It's easier to write faster if you already know what needs to happen, and where your story should go. This can either be a detailed outline, or just a goal post for the plot. For example, "My MC needs to be betrayed by his friends and thrown into the sea." Then you know you have to get him to the ocean, the scene has to have his friends with him, there needs to be sufficient motivation for the betrayal, etc.
With all the above said, I'm not the fastest of writers because I spend a lot of time editing my scenes and trying to get them right. So it also depends on how much you care about 'good writing' vs just moving the plot forward. Both can be ok. It just depends what interests you, and what kind of experience you want to give readers (really good writing vs frequent updates).

RayneStorm

I've recently gone from writing 2k words a day to 5k and here's how I did it
1. Writing sprints. I set a timer for 25mins and write for that time. It used to be 15 mins but now I do 25. I can get over 1,000 words in that time once the story is flowing but even a bad session would usually result in at least 800 words
2. I outline. I soft outline and then harden it as I progress in the story
3. After each writing sprint, I check my outline and think about what I'd write in the next sprint and maybe I'd make a note of it at the bottom of the document so that I can reference it easier. This has probably resulted in the biggest boost to my writing speed
4. I make a note in my planner the wordcount goal I want to reach that day. Some days I'm busy so I only shoot for 2k words. Usually I get into the story and write more though
5. I do not wait for inspiration. Inspiration and motivation are both fickle things. I write 6 days a week unless I get sick. It's easier to write when it's a habit and sometimes you only need to get that first sprint out of the way for the words to begin to flow.
6. Remember that most people type at an average speed. Therefore, it isn't that they physically type faster than you but that they spend more time with their butt in their chair and their hands on the keyboard.
7. If you're really struggling with the motivation to write, then I'd suggest taking a look at the story itself. Sometimes your book is just so boring you can't write it and the reader wouldn't want to read it. If no future scenes excite you then go back to the drawing board and come up with some cool stuff to write. Yeah, it can be a real pain to rework the plot but you'll be thankful for that later when the words are flowing and your readers are showering you with praise.

I hope I gave you some ideas

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
Like typing faster? Do typing club for 2 years. I did and I'm better than most of my friends combined. Or just do typing club.

doravg

103/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
As someone who used to write 5k word chapters, I can tell you that no one will ask it of you. The average web novel reader does not want a wall of text, as they call it. They would be happier with 5 1k chapter, or, 2 3k ones. You will give them a sense of achievement with shorter chapters, and they will come back for more.

Mortrexo

Get rid of distractions. If you are going to write, then put everything apart, at most music as background. But then close everything else.

lambenttyto

Chapter length is completely arbitrary. You can have one scene be a chapter, or you can have two-hundred scenes be a massively long chapter. You can separate scenes with a break or a title, or not separate them by any marker at all. If you want to see it in action, go look at the Prologue of Oni Rokura that has many scenes in one chapter. Then go look at my first story in the Epic Sword & Sorcery Entertainments of Ashahnai, where there's no scene breaks or chapter breaks at all.

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
Coffee. If you still can't type faster then more coffee. If you still can't then more coffee then rinse and repeat.