Poll: How often should a story be updated

How often do you think a story should be updated? - What is a convenient update schedule.

• Total voters

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
R

Attachments

• 6B2ADE5A-07D0-456E-9BF6-997B84E31A19.png
    6B2ADE5A-07D0-456E-9BF6-997B84E31A19.png
    341.6 KB · Views: 35

Erys

Her Highness
Direction is more important than speed. It doesn't matter how fast you're updating if you think your story are heading the wrong way.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
If you want the most readers and keep their attention, then daily updates are the best.
You can do less, but regularity is key. Anything more than a week and a lot of readers will drop out, since they are no longer invested in your story.
As a writer I would advise 2/3 times a week, to give you time to properly write your chapters while updating regularly.

CZ2

When I see someone uploading everyday, I subconsciously think that the chapters are of bad quality. It's a bad bias to have, but I can't help it.

D

Deleted member 57675

Then you might not have read Chinese novels. Those authors churn out 3 chapters of 1.5-2k words each every day. 21 chapters every week...
Yes, but you want to post quality chapters, not just quantity chapters. I also heard many do it bc bad contracts perhaps and the story becomes shitty in plot quality.

4-5 times a week is great for readers but chance of mental burnout in writing, time it digs into real life stuff, and drop in story quality.

2-3 times a week is better for reader and writer imo. Reader can remember it and writer has certain schedule but not every day. 3x is probably ideal, 2 is still good but slightly borders 1 issue. Thu 2 better is for writers.

1 day a week is going to be forgotten unless its very good or already have a reader base. May get obscured in newest updates with so many other stories competing to show up in that table.

85meyrreg

You're giving me your time, your creativity and your energy that you pour into your art. I'm not entitled to be petty about your writing speed. If it's to my liking, you can never update enough. I want to know NOW the entire lives of your characters for the next hundred years (you know, if they're elves or some other long lived type). But if you can only crank out one chapter per month with a bonus chapter occasionally, then okay. It's really up to what YOU, artistically, are comfortable doing. I ask only that it be in a predictable pattern, so I can wait in anxious anticipation. Though I particularly love discovering stories that I missed, start reading, enjoy, and then see that there are already a ton of chapters in the bank. BINGE READ!!

So, what I am doing is small episodes of the story each Tuesday however, I post on Thursday entries in the Glossary section explaining in a fun way what was mentioned in the previous entry, which helps to construct the world from my perspective and to fill in those little blanks...., ando more. Not sure if the readers get the notification of the update.

Marmalade

Kitsune-in-training
You're giving me your time, your creativity and your energy that you pour into your art. I'm not entitled to be petty about your writing speed. If it's to my liking, you can never update enough. I want to know NOW the entire lives of your characters for the next hundred years (you know, if they're elves or some other long lived type). But if you can only crank out one chapter per month with a bonus chapter occasionally, then okay. It's really up to what YOU, artistically, are comfortable doing. I ask only that it be in a predictable pattern, so I can wait in anxious anticipation. Though I particularly love discovering stories that I missed, start reading, enjoy, and then see that there are already a ton of chapters in the bank. BINGE READ!!
You're the type of reader that every author wishes to have. You sound like a literal angel

AryaX

3-7 updates per week... and if one don't write that fast, then better to release in batches...

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Seriously? 4 days. Its 4 days. I've been testing it. 4 days.

However, you want two books that update 2 days apart. So each book gets an update every 4 days, but the reader gets a new chapter every 2.

The algorithm likes that best. Time of day isn't that important, but I think exactly at midnight by the site, or 7 pm ETS seems to have a slight advantage. Can't prove it mathematically.

1500 to 2000 words is good, so you want to write about 10k a week, or 5k per book, with the 5k being broken down into 2 to 3 chapters. This will slowly have you pull ahead so you can take a break now and again. I feel it is the ideal balance over all, for production and read retention.

Last edited:

RaidenReader

As a reader, I'd definitely want to have a story I like post everyday.
Perhaps even ten times an hour.:devilish:

But, I've seen countless stories get discontinued cuz the author burned out and stuff. I got sad a bunch of times, and now I don't read anything that doesn't already have a hundred chapters.:blob_pat_sad:

So, my actual opinion is that authors should just go at their own pace while being showered by love and care. And us readers can only hop along for the ride.:blob_melt:

But please don't make pitstops too often...🙏