For you, what is the line between an antihero and evil protagonist?

lambenttyto

The antihero isn't evil, while the evil protagonist is evil.
Heh! A true anti-hero shouldn't be evil. I think an anti-hero operates OUTSIDE of accepted norms and has personal flaws. A lot of the "anti-heroes" I see on tv are are pretty much villains with likable qualities.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Heh! A true anti-hero shouldn't be evil. I think an anti-hero operates OUTSIDE of accepted norms and has personal flaws. A lot of the "anti-heroes" I see on tv are are pretty much villains with likable qualities.
It should be the opposite. An anti-hero is a hero with unlikable qualities. But, that's why labels like these are kinda useless, lol.

Your opinion?
And obviously:

Personally, I like the motivation square. A hero is good for good(paragon) reasons. An anti-hero is good for bad(selfish or so) reasons. A villain is bad for evil(the lolz) reasons. An anti-villain is bad for good(the greater good) reasons.

it really is subjective: take Tanya Degurechaff, for example. most would argue that she's evil. a select few would argue that she's just doing what she has to to survive in a cruel world that is doing everything it can to make her suffer (and yes it pretty much is her vs. world because of Sonzai X)

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
An anti-hero is still a good guy but not limited by morals like heroes. One example is punisher and batman. They both are against evil, but one kills the bad guy, other lets the law do its job. And evil is evil, of course, what is evil and what is not can change depending on context but the deal is the same most of the time.

udin-san

I've never really understood anti-hero. First time I heard of it, I thought it was someone who oppose or doesn't like hero, like Anti-vax. But then I was told that's not true; that anti-hero is a hero who doesn't act like it, but they're still a hero. There exist a sliding scale between hero and anti-hero. So I find it interesting that you compare an anti-hero and an evil protagonist. Can a hero be evil?

beast_regards

've never really understood anti-hero. First time I heard of it, I thought it was someone who oppose or doesn't like hero, like Anti-vax. But then I was told that's not true; that anti-hero is a hero who doesn't act like it, but they're still a hero. There exist a sliding scale between hero and anti-hero. So I find it interesting that you compare an anti-hero and an evil protagonist. Can a hero be evil?
Except for 90's extra edgy anti-heroes, anti-heroes aren't evil. They are just flawed

Erys

Her Highness
Intent. Both believe the end justify the means. It's their intention that differentiates them.

In my perspective, how do you, as a reader, understand the moral compass and reasoning behind their action?
Usually, villains don't explain the whys to the reader, but an antagonist will present the whys of their actions that you may or may not agree with.

udin-san

You can compare them for purpose of being the opposites, I suppose?
That's fair

I was thinking, maybe the op has a specific character in mind? There's a type of protagonist where they intent to do evil while the result usually ended up helping people. If that's the case, then the only difference between that type of protagonist and the evil one is the result of their action. What do you think?