How much detail can there be in graphic scenes, before it becomes too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
So, I'm writing a story that has some graphic scenes in it, and I wondered what would be taking such things too far - description-wise.

Example 1:
A scene where two lovers are copulating while discussing their nefarious plot.
How detailed can the description be, before it becomes distasteful?

Example 2:
A scene where a person is being forced upon.
How detailed can it be, in terms of what is happening to the victim?

Example 3:
A person being brutally maimed to death.
How detailed can it be, in terms of gore, sounds and thoughts of both the victim and the attacker?

I'd like some feedback/opinions, because when I showed what I'd written to my family, they said they were disturbed by the content, so wondered where the line should be drawn...

Sorry if this is too controversial a subject, or makes anyone feel uncomfortable, but I'd like to know people's thoughts on it so I can improve the way I've written my story.
As they say, better to nip it in the bud, than to let it grow out of control.

X

Nahrenne

I would have to say it depends on your target audience for the story itself. It really does vary and how you choose to describe it.
Hmm, well I was intending it to be for adults...
...but my family are all adults and they felt uncomfortable...but they don't read CNs and JNs, so I wondered if people who do read them would have a similar reaction, or not.
X

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Hmm, well I was intending it to be for adults...
...but my family are all adults and they felt uncomfortable...but they don't read CNs and JNs, so I wondered if people who do read them would have a similar reaction, or not.
X
Can you give me an example of what made them uncomfortable?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Sent you an example.
X
*sweats* That sure was an example. To be honest, the majority of the time your problem would probably be sexual content. Nowadays with shows like Games of Throne and Rick and Morty, gore would probably be the last of your worries. Just make sure you are warning and labelling your stories for the audience.

*cough* Should also state that your title and story does not match. *cough cough*

Nahrenne

*sweats* That sure was an example. To be honest, the majority of the time your problem would probably be sexual content. Nowadays with shows like Games of Throne and Rick and Morty, gore would probably be the last of your worries. Just make sure you are warning and labelling your stories for the audience.

*cough* Should also state that your title and story does not match. *cough cough*
'-'

Physically, I am a pure and innocent maiden.
*tilts head*

And of course I would put a warning for the chapters that have such content.

X

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
Physically, I am a pure and innocent maiden
Physically not mentally
Also I personally think the first example was weird, I'd get it if they discussed it after the act but during is kinda.... Like maybe some people get turned on talking about poisoning their enemies while doing it but I think that most would be too busy doing the do then to think and talk about how this person should die or how this person should fall from grace

Nahrenne

Physically not mentally
Also I personally think the first example was weird, I'd get it if they discussed it after the act but during is kinda.... Like maybe some people get turned on talking about poisoning their enemies while doing it but I think that most would be too busy doing the do then to think and talk about how this person should die or how this person should fall from grace
Well, not a complete conversation.
Plus, you wouldn't be shown the act from start to finish for that one.
X

SquadCammander354

Hmm, describing a scene where someone is being murdered at a slow rate while the killer is actively talking may be quite easy; but it could also be the hardest. Describe someone losing a limb or two while also detailing its current condition without actually putting too much.

His arm will be constantly bleeding unless he applies pressure, and when they do that, it'll allow time for dialogue. Make it short, as they won't live long with just the pressure being applied. Then perhaps you should discard your morals and pillage his body for any other information that was not mentioned. Yet do not describe his current appearance, neither should you take "too" long when pillaging his corpse(time use will change depending on the situation); like how his genitals were quite.....small in size.

That's unnecessary for a character that will be discarded for the plot, or for someone referenced in the story yet is not important.

Nahrenne

Hmm, describing a scene where someone is being murdered at a slow rate while the killer is actively talking may be quite easy; but it could also be the hardest. Describe someone losing a limb or two while also detailing its current condition without actually putting too much.

His arm will be constantly bleeding unless he applies pressure, and when they do that, it'll allow time for dialogue. Make it short, as they won't live long with just the pressure being applied. Then perhaps you should discard your morals and pillage his body for any other information that was not mentioned. Yet do not describe his current appearance, neither should you take "too" long when pillaging his corpse(time use will change depending on the situation); like how his genitals were quite.....small in size.

That's unnecessary for a character that will be discarded for the plot, or for someone referenced in the story yet is not important.
Huh?
Why would my character be pillaging a corpse?
X

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
I think graphicness also depends upon the scene in question. While constant graphic scenes or extreme ones are off-putting, use of them can be very memorable in situations where you clearly want to set the scene apart as powerful and important.

Nahrenne

I think graphicness also depends upon the scene in question. While constant graphic scenes or extreme ones are off-putting, use of them can be very memorable in situations where you clearly want to set the scene apart as powerful and important.
Mm, the second example I gave will be quite memorable, for both the reader and the character it happens to.
The character's view on things will change, both negatively and positively.
X

SquadCammander354

So no O.J Simpson stunts~

Status
Not open for further replies.