views are weird

Sager

I don't know if this a bug or not so I'll just post it here.
I've been using scribblehub for almost a year now and one of the things I learned was how views update.
If you leave it by it's self it will eventually update but the best and fastest way is for the chapter to be interacted with in some way.
This means favorites and comments.
I've seen this all the time, my chapter will have like 10 views I would favorite it and the reload and all of sudden I have 50.
So I would spend the day periodically favoriting and reloading chapters just so I can see how many views I actually have.
This works on other people's works as well you can try it yourself.
I don't know if this is just how the website is right now? or maybe it's bug or some kind of exploit.
I mean I know when I do this my statistics go up and if it turns out I'm taking advantage of a system I'd feel really bad about it.
Views tell us if people are interested in our stories or not so it's really important that everyone knows this.
If a mod or someone can clue me in, maybe tell me if I got anything wrong or I missed something that would be great.
Scribblehub is a great website and I would like to see it get better and better.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
View is basically someone seeing your page, not accounting who actually read your stuff. I could log in, check out your page without reading and you could've easily gotten a view.

It's a feel-good number, like I don't know, something witty.

Sager

View is basically someone seeing your page, not accounting who actually read your stuff. I could log in, check out your page without reading and you could've easily gotten a view.

It's a feel-good number, like I don't know, something witty.
yeah I guess but having more views puts you on trending (I assume) which means more people will read your work.
I understand that you shouldn't write just to get views but having people read your work even if it's one or two is great.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
yeah I guess but having more views puts you on trending (I assume) which means more people will read your work.
I understand that you shouldn't write just to get views but having people read your work even if it's one or two is great.
That's why there was an issue before of changing trending due to view count. Some thought it wasn't fair that other authors were posting shorter chapters with a few posts in a day. Web novels are a whole different medium where you can strategize for shorter chapters. If it works for your story, I say go for it. If not, then write longer chapters.

Personally, I think view count is an effective way of gauging if you're getting exposure. Might not dictate number of readers but it at least shows you your story is getting some sort of traffic. Of course, that's only if the view count tally is reliable. Not sure how that one is programmed to count views on a story/chapter.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
That's why there was an issue before of changing trending due to view count. Some thought it wasn't fair that other authors were posting shorter chapters with a few posts in a day. Web novels are a whole different medium where you can strategize for shorter chapters. If it works for your story, I say go for it. If not, then write longer chapters.

Personally, I think view count is an effective way of gauging if you're getting exposure. Might not dictate number of readers but it at least shows you your story is getting some sort of traffic. Of course, that's only if the view count tally is reliable. Not sure how that one is programmed to count views on a story/chapter.
I mean how does trending even work? Based purely off how many views your story page get a day?

If so, short chapters are great for that. It doesnt mean your story is great or shit, just that people are looking at the page. And they do so because they see the chapters you update in the latest update section. So posting short but several chapters through out the day would work.

But i dont think thats how it is? Since if your stuff is something people dont wanna read they will remember not to click on the story. So the page wont be viewed. And no views mean you wont get on trending. Right? Also, people would click on the chapter instead of the story page if they already saw it. So do views come from chapters too?

I dunno. I only post a couple times a week, maybe two, and i get on trending within a few days, then disappear from it after a few days or hours.

So im not sure if this happens because i get a lot of views all at once when i post or if its some other factor in play.
(EDIT: Forgot to mention that i see people in trending who have wayyy less chapters out that i do. So i dont think it is based off view count per chapter? Sonce regardless, i would have more chapters views. I mean if its based on story page views tho, i wouldnt be likely to show up on trending either? Since i wont get many "new" views there)

Im not sure what exactly puts a person on trending, basically. Whether its based on who sees the story page, or a combo of that and who views chapters. Or even "readers"

Thats a different category. Whats THAT? People who bookmark? Who have read up all the way up to the latest chapter? Kinda wish tyou could hober over the words and see a proper explanation

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I mean how does trending even work? Based purely off how many views your story page get a day?

If so, short chapters are great for that. It doesnt mean your story is great or shit, just that people are looking at the page. And they do so because they see the chapters you update in the latest update section. So posting short but several chapters through out the day would work.

But i dont think thats how it is? Since if your stuff is something people dont wanna read they will remember not to click on the story. So the page wont be viewed. And no views mean you wont get on trending. Right? Also, people would click on the chapter instead of the story page if they already saw it. So do views come from chapters too?

I dunno. I only post a couple times a week, maybe two, and i get on trending within a few days, then disappear from it after a few days or hours.

So im not sure if this happens because i get a lot of views all at once when i post or if its some other factor in play.
(EDIT: Forgot to mention that i see people in trending who have wayyy less chapters out that i do. So i dont think it is based off view count per chapter? Sonce regardless, i would have more chapters views. I mean if its based on story page views tho, i wouldnt be likely to show up on trending either? Since i wont get many "new" views there)

Im not sure what exactly puts a person on trending, basically. Whether its based on who sees the story page, or a combo of that and who views chapters. Or even "readers"

Thats a different category. Whats THAT? People who bookmark? Who have read up all the way up to the latest chapter? Kinda wish tyou could hober over the words and see a proper explanation
I swear once we get Reddit's karma system down this shit is next on the hit list

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Because of server reasons (I think), views and other statistics are not updated real time to reduce the server load, but daily? If a user does a change (like favoriting), the views will be updated.

I remember Tony saying the new trending is now based on the difference of views,comments,favorites,readers, etc. from yesterday and today. Each view/comment/favorite/etc. has some kind of score weight to them, and the stories that make trending have the highest score for the day.

Sager

Because of server reasons (I think), views and other statistics are not updated real time to reduce the server load, but daily? If a user does a change (like favoriting), the views will be updated.

I remember Tony saying the new trending is now based on the difference of views,comments,favorites,readers, etc. from yesterday and today. Each view/comment/favorite/etc. has some kind of score weight to them, and the stories that make trending have the highest score for the day.
oh! thank you for clearing that up!

Nneeil

You get on trending based on how many views you get in 24 hours. So, if within a day you get over 1k views - this number is not to be quantified for a chapter only, but for every chapter you've posted - you'll be automatically placed on a list to get on trending, which may take a day or two.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ

This was waaay back. It's been fixed so trending has a different algorithm and not based solely on views anymore.

Like he said.