If i am writting a bad story but still want to continue writting , is it bad if i do so ?

Iamnotabot

Bot of [Envy]
So i been writting recently and i can see that it is bad but i still want to keep writting even if its bad, i mean i don't profit off writting but just feel like getting the story out you know, so should i keep writting knowing that i will be judged for it and return to fix it later OR should i just drop the thing ?

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
I also write with the same purpose as you do-- (not for profit, just want to get the idea out of my head) and guess what? it was mocked by people so bad that I got even a threat on my DM's for it.-- (for ridiculous reason because I made it on trending with my bad writing skill lol.)

Nevertheless, I still decide to continue writing my trash, because among those people, I also found readers who genuinely support me, and told me to ignore those haters.

If you feel that you can't handle the situation where you are getting judged by others (negatively), I suggest you shouldn't start writing because it feels hurt lol-- otherwise just keep going, either for readers that genuinely support you or for your own satisfaction.

BlakeOblivion

It depends on why you write. If you have fun writing, and write just for personal enjoyment, then continue; But i recommend just not posting it in that case. No point in posting something you believe is bad.

If you write to have it seen by others, then you should polish your skills first, then start writing. But you must understand that the first thing you write will always be garbage. The second thing will be slightly less garbage. And so on. And I'm not talking about your first story, I'm talking about everything: your first draft will always be of a lower quality than a second or third or tenth, in part because you gain experience as you write and in part because you have the benefit of the previous draft to make clear what worked and what doesn't.

This is one of the two biggest consistent threads i see among low quality works in this site: lack of editing. Most seemingly just write a chapter, don't re-read or edit or sometimes even spellcheck it and that's it. No wonder it ends up low quality: quality costs effort, and they've barely put any.

Just for the record, the second biggest consistent thread of low quality is short chapters(generally around 1k words or less. SPECIALLY less.) this has to do with pacing, and is not in the scope of this discussion.

TLDR: write if you want, but i recommend you don't post it unless you have at least a little confidence in it's quality.

D

Deleted member 54065

Depends on your goal why you write, my good man. If you're looking for financial compensation and you know your writing is bad, then you have to think it over before continuing. But then again, if you know it's bad, then you should try to fix it first before completely giving it up.

If you aim to just tell a story, then it's okay to continue. Though, it won't hurt if you strive to improve on your writing; you can always do a rewrite in every edition you do.

Tip: if you think it's bad, then you should try to get a 'beta reader'. Anyone who you trust can be one, and have him/her give their honest opinion on your work.

Drytron

So i been writting recently and i can see that it is bad
So? I don't see a problem. Most people in this site have shit taste, me included. The readers will love your story if it's as bad as you say!
i still want to keep writting even if its bad
Then keep writing! Reach trending and surpass the height of degeneracy!
so should i keep writting knowing that i will be judged for it and return to fix it later OR should i just drop the thing ?
Who will judge you? The Spanish Inquisition? Us SH degenerates don't judge. We stick together! Someone judged your story? So what? Don't listen to them! They are RR spy!

D

Deleted member 93348

It depends. If it contains the most heinous shit imaginable and presented as normal (rape, incest, pedophilia, “ironic” racism, etc.), it’s better not to continue. Even if the likes of “Rise of the Slave Harem” became successful, it’s never worth the overwhelming ire you’ll receive.

If it’s just badly written a la generic Wattpad fanfic, you can continue like nobody’s watching, so more power to you. But I suggest you improve your ability and craft in the future—because to be an author is to grow. Otherwise, no author in history would’ve made a living out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
Assuming you are not writing for money, I say keep writing long as you like it. I have stories that barely get any views and are considered bad by others, but I keep writing them because I enjoy them.

Tsuru

Your choice

"Its your choice to study or play. Your choice that made you choose to give up. People's speechs and comments can influence others but in the end, it's you that have the final decision. Blaming others is pointless."

-from the video game "It takes two" and a chinese novel that have a MC recreating the game in another earth

Leti

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Not at all. A first draft is usually poorly written. Just take a look at most of my stuff. Some of them are on their 4th or 5th draft and they still aren't up to the standard I want. It just takes time, effort, patience, and the desire to learn and grow as a writer.

J_Chemist

If your first thoughts are about being judged, you should stop writing.
This

You're posting to a public space with the ability for readers to interact with it. There will be people who like your story. There will be people who hate your story.

If you can't handle the idea that your work will never be perfect and there will always be at least one person who hates it and is willing to comment/review your work to let you know that they hate it, then you probably shouldn't post it in public with a comment section close by.

Care less. Write more.

kophzi

No single cup of tea, will be everyone's cup of tea.

Man, I have readers arguing about the characters, because one side wants them to suffer and die, the other half loves them and wants more of their atrocities.
kekw

Just send it.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
No single cup of tea, will be everyone's cup of tea.
Except for the TrashyHuman green tea~! Only now, in limited quantities. Order now and get a 25% discount! TrashyHuman green tea, every one's cup of tea!
Nonrefundable. TrashyHuman will not be responsible for possible medical, psychological, moral and magical damage following consumption; consume at your own risk. Ingesting may have the following side effects: loss of teeth, hair and skin, loss of sanity, depression, indigestion, pregnancy, death

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Rewrite and write more. By writing more, you gain experience and become better!

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
So i been writting recently and i can see that it is bad but i still want to keep writting even if its bad, i mean i don't profit off writting but just feel like getting the story out you know, so should i keep writting knowing that i will be judged for it and return to fix it later OR should i just drop the thing ?
Are you selling it? Are you misrepresenting the work as something good, charges a premium for it only for the buyers to realize it's shit and ask for a refund which would you not give?

If not, why does it matter? Just do what you want to do. If you put stuff on the internet for all to see, somebody will judge it. So it's pointless to think too much about it.