Writing Prompt As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw…

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
Finish a small 2+ paragraph story that begins with: As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw…

As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw it standing there, unmoving and still. Icicles drooped from its many appendages. Those sharp cones swayed in the strong wind, yet said appendages didn’t.

I tried to walk around it, yet it was too huge, it went on as far as the eye could see. With a frigid and shaking head, I turned back to see if that was a path of retreat. Thankfully it was, and so I escaped back into my home.

D

Deleted member 54065

As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp, frigid air, I saw...

...nothing. I'm living in a tropical country, so it's pretty hot in here. We have a freezer, though.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw a halo from beyond the fog. It looked like eyes but I couldn't really tell. Then it started bouncing towards me. I couldn't be more relieved to realise that it was nothing but a ball.

It emerged from the fog and rolled to my toes. I wondered from where this ball came from, considering I was knee deep in the middle of nowhere. But it made me sad, because that ball reminded me that I'll never be ballin'.

D

Deleted member 54065

Thank you! I haven’t played it, but I think I might have seen a let’s play of it a while back. Nevertheless, it is good to have confirmation that my landscape descriptions are, at the very least, somewhat immersive!
Ah, if you played it, I'm sure it'll trigger your imagination even further. The description you wrote is exactly what my 'scouts' see and experience whenever I send them to explore the frozen wasteland away from my base...especially during severe blizzards.

Whoo...I feel chilly reading and writing this. 😍😁

minionlover

As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw an old man curled on the side of the road, cold and alone, he shivered, hugging his shoulders and clacking his teeth as nature slowly blanketed him in snow.

With each second that passed, he was robbed of blood, warmth, and life. I looked at him, and he looked at me. I saw pain in his eyes, pain that I, for a moment, and just for a moment, understood to its finest. With a knowing smile, I hopped back in my car, and promptly left the man I had just run over.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw my son grin maniacally. In his mitten lay a perfectly formed snowball. I grinned back and revealed that I too had one waiting in my mitten. We took aim and threw our snowballs at the same moment. They smashed into each other in midair, leaving a puff of glittery powder.

Onic

As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw his gray eyes staring at me once more. His eyes were emotionless, as they always were. They were lovely, but they lacked life. He had black hair that was combed. Everyone who passed through received his phony smile. I wasn't always seeing him, but when I did, he was always standing in front of our house in his black suit.

I pretended he wasn't there and walked toward the door, but the moment I took my first step, he was standing in front of me, staring stoically. How did he do it? I had no idea... He just did it, he always did it.

He opened what appeared to be the softest part of his face, his light pink lips. He repeated the phrase he was always repeating to me. The words I despised the most, and he reminded me of them whenever he got the chance.

"Sir, we've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty."

Last edited:

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I think of Horizon Zero Dawn and the northern 'Metal Devil.' Metal tendrils wrapping around an icy mountain, showcasing the death of an immortal machine.
Heaven help us if a metal devil reawakens...Oh wait one will, at least, it will in the new horizon forbidden west DLC

StrongArm

As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw…

Jess...

She was standing there in those cute briefs & sports bra she always wore. Barefoot and half-naked, as if she wasnt even affected by the cold.
Her lips were blue, and her skin was pale as the moonlight.
I couldnt believe my eyes, it was her, REALLY her.

"
JESS!?" I call out in joy and disbelief.
She just stands there, staring. She must be so cold...
Hurriedly, I step towards her. It's freezing out here, she needs to get in the house!

But before I can take three steps, she turns on her heel and runs into the snow-storm.

'NO! I can't lose her Again!!'

I sprint after her through the howling winds, my heavy boots crunching through the snow.

'Where is she going?' i breath in the painful sharp air into my lungs, and chase after her into the forest.

"JESS! WHERE ARE YOU GOING! YOULL FREEZE TO DEATH IN THIS STORM - COME BACK!!!" I hollar after her.

She just continues running through the trees, oblivious to my voice.

She was so fast... She ran through the snow as quick as the wind.
She was getting farther & farther away. 'NO!!!' I will NOT let this happen!'

Putting all my energy into my legs, I chase and chase. I don't know for how long.

It doesnt do me any good, I lose sight of her as she runs headlong into the blizzard.

"JESS!!!"
I call over and over again.

Nothing. No response.

Was she ever truly there? Did I just imagine everything?

"NO!" I shout at myself as much as the situation. 'she was here! I just need to keep looking!'

On and on I search, looking for tracks, a sign, ANYTHING.

Still, I find no trace. It's getting dark now, but I don't want to leave. 'Jess is out here somewhere and I cant let her freeze to death!'

"Jessica! I'm sorry baby! I-If you can hear me t-t-Then c-Come Home!" I call out through chattering teeth.

I wipe away frozen tears from my red, wind-chapped face.

It's dark, all I can see are the barren black trees and the swirling snow.

It's over, she's gone. Again.

I'm so tired... So cold... I just need to sit down for a minute...

As I sit with my back to a pine tree with the cold wind howling in my ears, my mind takes me to a happier - warmer time: Jess and I, cooking in our cheap trailer. We were poor, but it didn't matter. We made it work. We danced in the kitchen to 'Old Timey' music and laughed. When I held her close, she would gaze up at my face with the most loving big green eyes...

Something draws me from my reverie, and I look up.

And there she is, standing in front of me.

" !!! " Rushing forward, almost falling on my face into the snow, I wrap my arms around her waist, terrified she might run again. Her skin is Ice cold.

Hurriedly, I tear my coat off and wrap it around her.

"Jess! I cant believe its you!" I cry into her waist "I missed you so much! I never thought I would see you again after you... after you..."

Suddenly, I tear my blubbering face away from her belly, to look up into her eyes staring silently down on me.

"Jess! You know I d-didnt mean it! i - I just got so angry! I never meant to hurt you! Before I knew what i was doing i-it was too late! I'm sorry!" I blubber " I'm so goddamn sorry jess..."

I just kneel there and bawl like a baby, hugging her and repeating "imsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorryimsorry-

I am interrupted, as she takes my head in her hands and smiles down at me.

'Is this happening? Is she truly not angry?'

Before I can even ask, she takes a finger and presses it to my lips.

"shhhhh" she makes a gentle shushing noise and gives a slight smile.

Ever so gently, she draws me down to the ground and wraps me in a tender embrace.

Looking into her Ice blue eyes, I see no resentment - only the love and tenderness she always had shown me.

Wrapped around each other, the rest of the world disappears and the only thing i can feel is...

Warmth

EuphyVenne

As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw the short and fragile frame of a young woman striding towards me. The moment she came near, her gloved hand reached inside her coat to pull out a pocket knife. She leaned close to me. From her pale lips escaped warm mist to send me a greeting kiss. Her thin and delicate fingers ran across my skin before carving another mark into me. She pulled away. The warmth of her touch lingered.

Her back was now facing me. The snow began piling on her figure, which used to be so small. When I first saw her, she was merely a child. Now, she had become a woman. Yet, she’s still waiting for someone who may never return. Someone who would never know that she’s there, waiting and longing for them every winter. She should have given up a long time ago. It was rather ridiculous. Even so, she continued to watch the snow, and I continued to watch her. Already, I yearn for next winter.

—As I wrote this, I remembered the song “The Giving Tree” by Plain White T’s

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw my boss stumbling out of the izakaya drunk like the common brit.

It is all thanks to this motherfucker that I am stuck halfway across the globe, having to entertain the Japs from our main office branch while my family celebrate the holidays without me.

I really want to stab him with my housekeys that are cold and biting in my hand right now.

Le_ther

Finish a small 2+ paragraph story that begins with: As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw…

As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw it standing there, unmoving and still. Icicles drooped from its many appendages. Those sharp cones swayed in the strong wind, yet said appendages didn’t.

I tried to walk around it, yet it was too huge, it went on as far as the eye could see. With a frigid and shaking head, I turned back to see if that was a path of retreat. Thankfully it was, and so I escaped back into my home.
As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw a figure standing in the distance. A huge figure resembling a monster with 2 hands occupied by a slipper. Then I've realized it's just my mom which is about to slap my ass for sleeping in the fridge in 3 am.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
As the snow fell, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw the white cold mountains and plains extending for possibly kilometers ahead.
There were no traces of our expedition, no traces of life. Only despair, and cold and unforgiving tundra. God, save my soul...

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
Journal of the Damned

Big wall of text incoming

As the snow feel, swirling around in the sharp and frigid air, I saw my own pale reflect in the rippling river. The water danced with the moonlight giving me an ethereal glow, the only thing that ruined my angelic appearance was the hungering void in my eyes and the Cheshire grin that lacked any warmth, 'I could use some sleep.' I tell myself.

My food has become more sparse sense the first day I have crashed in these mountains it has been five days and I am worried that I will have to seek shelter elsewhere, a plane with a cracked hull doesn't make a good shelter, still beats out sleeping in the snow.

Seven days in... They should have sent out a search plane by now, but strangely going to the river every night has given me some solace, the distortion doesn't appear in the day I am pretty sure that it just the moonlight fucking with my head.

Pretty sure I read an article on that somewhere.

Day Eight... It is official. No more food. Damn it. I tried searching for some wild game, but nothing except some squirrels that are way too skittish of me.

I guess I'll have to try tomorrow, not worth burning all of those calories.

The distortion seems much clearer tonight... And thinner.

Day Eleven.

Where do I begin. Oh yeah, besides the fact I am starting to freeze to death, eating roots, and still waiting on that plane I am doing FUCKING GREAT.

I spend most of my days sitting in that hollow plane shell occasionally turning it on to give myself little burst of heat. I am beginning to wish I have kept that flare I shot. At least I could light something on fire.

I am having a hard time feeling my fingers.

At least the distortion keeps me company.

I... I did it! Day Thirteen.

I did it. I caught a squirrel with my bare hands and snapped its neck. It happened not after I stood remarkably still.

The gristle and gamey meat was delicious.

I thanked the reflection tonight, I don't know why it just felt... Appropriate.

Day Fourteen.
Meat should be cooked.
I think I caught something from that squirrel.
Day twenty-one (?) I can't really tell a blizzard has been hitting non stop recently kinda hard to tell what day it is but I can guest based on how dark it gets during the white out.
Day twenty-seven (pretty sure)... I saw a plane.
Little one like mine they haven't given up on me. I rushed to tell the distortion tonight the good news.
The smile became more of a grimace, and swear it shaked its head in disgust.
It also seemed thinner than before, and somehow taller.
It also seemed thinner than before, and somehow taller.

Speaking of which my clothes have been getting a little loose, but that is to be expected being out here for so long.
My coat ripped today on a branch, the cold wind doesn't seem to bother me much anymore. I so I guess it doesn't matter.

Day thirty, I felt uncomfortable today. Like hot uncomfortable .

Wearing nothing but my shirt and pants now, noticed my feet were being pinched by my boots, painfully so.
Squirrel have been great thus far but not really hitting the same, if anything in the past few days eating makes me feel more hungry.

The reflection however seemed happy with my lack of apparel, so I guess that is good.

Day... I... I don't know.

They all seem to blur together now and I stopped really seeing the reflection at what I thought was night.
Another white out rolled in and I can't tell time anymore.
The hunger keeps on growing and I can't find any more squirrels.
The roots taste like dirt now and I threw up from eating one recently.
I can't risk losing anymore calories.

I met someone today, his name is unimportant, he got lost like me and manage to find his way to my downed plane.

That lowlife hasn't been contributing anything.

He knows I can walk fine here, as the cold has become one with my bones, so he hides in the plane claiming that he can't handle the cold.
He has began to eat shoe leather and the roots I discarded.
Me however have been seeking a different delicacy.

That bastard has the audaciousness to ask wear I have been getting the meat, I tell him wild boar... Well I guess I am not wrong, he is a big fella after all, he doesn't need frostbitten toes anyway right?

He found out what I have been doing and called me a monster.
Before I could explain myself he had ran into the cold today when the white outs started again.

My crooked fingers comb through the pines searching for morsels, I finish off the rest of the man's body today, he froze to death last night. Waste not, want not.

My body has been stripped bear as I prowl through the night stalking my prey.

They sing, dance, and enjoy their meals as I hunger for more.

When they don't notice I pick off the little ones, mimicking their mother's voice, never to be seen again.

My friend has returned the river, and tonight I smile along with him, for tonight we feast