Writing How do you guys persist on creating another chapter?

RenEnju

I've been trying to write a novel at least 20 chapter but I keep failing. Somehow, I just can't bring myself to write. Maybe I'm too lazy but what about you? How do you guys persist on creating another chapter consistently?

Le_ther

As far from the authors I read. They either do it because they want to or setup deadlines in order to plan things out. Just remember the important thing is quality and imagination.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
I cry my heart out every day, screaming of how fucking useless I am having like 15 hours to write, but only write in one hour after all. When you hate yourself for 14 hours, you can force yourself to write at least 1. And one thing to do is chain yourself, chain yourself to the writing chair, chain your screen to the writing screen, chain your hands on the keyboard.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [Envy]
Well i just composed some content. Then uses machine learning to create words, phrases, and sentences.

Convert those reading promt to create story, with the help of SGAs.

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
For me, it was because the story I write still have a clear direction and I also still having fun writing it.

If there is no both of them, it's really hard for me continue to write. At that point, I would take a break or even worse, put my story on hiatus.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Putting aside the people who do that because they feel obligated to or have deadlines, because that method, while works, is not exactly healthy, I'd say that you need to find a type of story that works best for you - not necessarily switch to it, but at least realize what causes your lack of motivation in teh current story.

I generally write because I come up with something exciting or interesting or just fun in general and want to write it. Outside these moments I generally fill up the blanks and the more boring parts of my stories, which can get really tedious. The point is, I don't exactly want to write the whole long story, but the parts I really like are only every few chapters. I do realize that how my mind works is much better suited for short stories, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were the same.

As for how I get myself to write everything, I generally wait till I come up with a good idea to add to what I have written and focus on other parts in the meantime. Just yesterday I completed a chapter that I started writing in October, soo... yeah.

Tsuru

1) Write for yourself or to get popularity ?
2) Readers reactions
3) Have your work turn popular and/or appear on main page of scribble
4) Chinese authors get paid when writing webnovels (not sure about jp syosetsu but at least probability of getting manga publication and anime / the shota adventurer summoning succubus and ask her to be a wife, i saw it years ago and got manga a while ago and i bet 5 nhentai numbers it will get anime sooner or later)

Rhaps

Cult Leader of The Church of Dice
Thats the key, I don't. I don't have a good writing schedule or anything like that, so I write whenever I feel like it. And I don't write to reach a certain word amount, I just stop when I feel I wrote enough to convey that particular part of my story.

Though if I have to say what drives me, it's my determination to write about the characters I envisioned, to see what they would do. As someone who don't even know half of what I am doing, it's pretty fun, like having a discussion with yourself (that sounds depressing lmao).

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
I had the same issue with an old story. The trick is finding a standout inspiration. It can be a game, anime, TV show, music even. That was straight up the strongest motivator that worked for me and I've been consistently churning out chapters once every 1-2 days for the last 6 months on top of work and IRL stuff.

Another trick is to think of yourself as a reader as well. Like you're also going along for the ride. That you want to see what happens next, so you write that next chapter to figure out what lies on the next page.

Or immerse yourself with the story. Connect with the characters. Cry over something that you have planned in the story. Get angry for them. Get frustrated. I've cried numerous times writing and it can positively impact the way you portray them (if you can write through the water works, that is).

Last edited:

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
I imagine that my characters are all alone and still conscious in an empty void whenever I stops writing so that I make chapters out of concern and pity. If that doesn't work, I imagine one of them one day crawling out of the fictional world and strangling me in my sleep for abandoning them.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Well yeah... about that...*scratches head*

Well I don't hehe😅
Yeah, I stopped doing that two years ago when I had an 8lb 11oz shit from my . . . oops, I was supposed to say baby.

Tsuru

Lot of novels are dropped/axed, because they got no popularity.
Even despite having a crazy high potential.

IdleYoungMaster

Interest, both as a reader and a writer. My main reason for writing is not that uncommon. I found reading other novels and works to be boring due to some reasons. I also grew more frustrated on how bad the developments are going in some. Thus, I resolved myself to write one that has a good one. If you have the interest to keep you going, you won't have to worry on having nothing to write. Even when I lost some of it a while ago, something still came out of my head. Since I plan as I write, even I don't know what will happen next. That is interesting enough for me. It helps in setting a consistent schedule, too.

D

Deleted member 54065

I've been trying to write a novel at least 20 chapter but I keep failing. Somehow, I just can't bring myself to write. Maybe I'm too lazy but what about you? How do you guys persist on creating another chapter consistently?
I've been criticized by my style, but here are my ways to 'persevere':
  • Before I write my first chapter, I plan my story from start to finish. As in, I already know the ending before I get down to write the story, up to the chapters' contents.
  • Once I got myself done with planning (since I'm a planner-type of writer), I tend to isolate myself from everything that distracts me. This includes watching anime, playing games, reading manga, and even looking at my Discord.
  • Connected to the second tip, I give myself three weeks to a month of deadline to finish an entire manuscript of the novel. I don't work chapter by chapter, I do my stories in one book/volume.
I'm lazy by nature, so this is my way of doing things. Any longer than that (let's say two months), and I tend to not finish it. The self-isolation part is so that I can focus on finishing my stories.

Another is a sliver of 'self-discipline' once I get into my writing mood. As you might stumble in some threads here, once I'm in my writing mode, I can write as many as 12k words per day. Downside is, I write in bursts, so there are months where I write nothing at all (and is taking a break).

And how about 'perfecting' my prose? No, I don't mind it. I still look at the rules for guides, but if those rules hinder me, I'd rather drop those and wing it. Perfecting proses require consistent writing, and the more you write, the more you develop (and recognize) your style. (Not forever doubting what you write...)

Proof? I have 14 volumes for my main story, the Human Saint is Bored, 300 chapters since there are 100 chapters per (the early) arc. You can check them in HoneyFeed, Syosetu, Pixiv, WebNovel, WebkomPH and Wattpad (though the updates are a bit late in these two latter sites).

P.S.: Popularity? Stopped caring for it. Nowadays, I just write to tell a story, and take good care of writing my 'complications'. So far, my dedicated readers loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Dude, I write 12 hours a day. I only type for about 30 minutes. Thinking about the story and mulling it over counts.

If you don't enjoy the story, you won't writ it.

As a ghost writer, I enjoyed money, so I slammed that shit out. When I stop loving money, I stopped ghost writing.