In the Real World . . .

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Or when my son wants a new Lego set 3 days before pay day and hasn't grasped that money doesn't appear at the wave of mummy's magic wand.
My son isn't to that point yet, but when they start asking for specific things, isn't that time to start giving them an allowance? Tell them they can save up for it if they really want it. When it comes to gifts, it's about what I want to give him, though I'm open to suggestions.

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
You know how some teachers and other elderly people talk about the "real world" in a condescending way? I thought it was absolute BS when I was a kid, and now I'm over 30, and I still think it's BS to invalidate the experiences of younger people in that way. Call it the "adult world" if you must. "My world" would be more appropriate, as not all adults have the same experience of the world.

I want to see your comebacks to someone who makes a lame-ass statement about the "real world." Bonus points if you meme them!
I have heard ‘in the real world you can’t spend half the hours in a day reading’ in elementary school. Yet, today I spend the majority of my waking hours reading. When I find a good series it is not rare for my days to look like 7 hours working 5 hours sleeping, and 12 hours reading. Although, I do tend to finish series with less than 120,000 words in 4-6 hours, that leaves me bouncing in-between different stories, either finishing or dropping them, spending weeks to find to find one that is good for more than a day or two. However I believe that this is enough to prove as a comeback to the beginning statement.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I have heard ‘in the real world you can’t spend half the hours in a day reading’ in elementary school. Yet, today I spend the majority of my waking hours reading. When I find a good series it is not rare for my days to look like 7 hours working 5 hours sleeping, and 12 hours reading. Although, I do tend to finish series with less than 120,000 words in 4-6 hours, that leaves me bouncing in-between different stories, either finishing or dropping them, spending weeks to find to find one that is good for more than a day or two. However I believe that this is enough to prove as a comeback to the beginning statement.
This is exactly what I'm talking about! There are certainly tradeoffs, but we all get to choose our priorities. Your parents may badger you about grandkids, but don't do it unless you want to.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
My son isn't to that point yet, but when they start asking for specific things, isn't that time to start giving them an allowance? Tell them they can save up for it if they really want it. When it comes to gifts, it's about what I want to give him, though I'm open to suggestions.
He has an allowance, he's doing pretty well with it. Still doesn't stop him trying it on now and then. Not that often though, he learns fast :devilish:
'It's nice believing in a world where councils actually fix potholes with the money they extort from people, but this is the real world, and it's full of corrupt fat cats.'
'In the real world, authors would write....the real world....uhm...actually, that's not what we're here for....'

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
In the real world, The golden rule is, them that has the gold, makes the rules.
In the real world, Don't lose heart... They might want to cut it out... and they want to avoid a lengthy search.
In the real world, There is no free lunch.
In the real world, You might be able to set your race to: Dragon-Kin in California, but you are still human.
In the real world, Chances are your parents were just humoring you when they said you could grow up to be anything you wanted to be.
In the real world, Maybe your only purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.
In the real world, A kind stranger most likely wants to sell you something.
In the real world, Never attribute to stupidity that which can be explained by a pathological bloodlust for control.
In the real world, If nobody ever fails sensitivity training, how do we know it is working?
In the real world, Absence makes the heart grow fonder, of someone much closer to your absent partner.
In the real world, You are easily replaced.

SternenklarenRitter

I don't really understand what the "real world" is, but I doubt I have ever lived there. The world I live in is made from particles, forces, waves and equations, and those behave even less predictably than politicians.