Question

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
download.jpeg

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Can a person be so good at lying that they end up believing their own lies?
I think your problem is, you don't understand lying.

I mean... fuck. I read nonsense questions like this and it makes me weep. How about you explain what lying is. Okay? Let us start THERE.
You don't have to be good at lying to deceive yourself. It's way easier than deceiving others.
Lying and deception are two different things.
No. Though people can believe their own lies.
No. They can't. You cannot LIE to yourself.
People lie to themselves all the time, like me telling myself I will stop binging YouTube and get back to writing. Or telling yourself one more game won't hurt
STATEMENTS ABOUT THE FUTURE ARE PROMISES, NOT LIES.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Yes, but no. Someone can be a masterful liar while simultaneously believing in their own lies, but the two have very little to do with each other.
HOLY JOHN MOSES BROWNING.
You cannot believe your own lies, because if YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, then it is an OPINION and no longer a LIE.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
You cannot believe your own lies, because if YOU BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, then it is an OPINION and no longer a LIE.
Wait? You can't lie to yourself? If my favorite color was red, but I told myself "my favorite color is blue". Wouldn't I be lying to myself?

Aaqil

Cookies!
Wait? You can't lie to yourself? If my favorite color was red, but I told myself "my favorite color is blue". Wouldn't I be lying to myself?
Think that falls into a change in opinion, :blob_hmm_two: :blob_cookie:
Tho just saying it would probably count as lying, :blob_hmm_two: :blob_cookie:

D

Deleted member 113259

I think your problem is, you don't understand lying.

I mean... fuck. I read nonsense questions like this and it makes me weep. How about you explain what lying is. Okay? Let us start THERE.

Lying and deception are two different things.

No. They can't. You cannot LIE to yourself.

STATEMENTS ABOUT THE FUTURE ARE PROMISES, NOT LIES.

Are you one of those "my truth" types? A lie does not become true just because you display it as an opinion. If you believe you're a good person, but you burn down animal shelters you're lying to yourself. Take it a step further, you're so delusional that you believe you don't do that but there's clear evidence you do, you're lying to yourself. I don't care what your opinion is. You're objectively lying.

It's a terrible misuse of language to try to convince people that just because someone is delusional, doesn't mean they're not lying. There is such a thing as objective reality. Yes, you can lie to yourself.