Writing How will you write a douchebag protagonist?

Daichi

I want my protagonist to be a jerk, totally inconsiderate. Any Tips on how to write this kind of character?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
have him be insecure and doubtful. people who are jerks are generally wary of their own images, and will try to make themselves look tough to hide their weak interior. best to write them from a third person perspective with as minimal introspective as possible.

Suryae

Dismembered
Have the protagonist thinking he is suffering more than everyone else and have everyone else appeared in his eyes as lazier than he is.

Basically, a Boomer.

Dountmindme

You wot m8? You wanna go, huh? Come at me bro, y—
have him be insecure and doubtful. people who are jerks are generally wary of their own images, and will try to make themselves look tough to hide their weak interior. best to write them from a third person perspective with as minimal introspective as possible.
I always knew they were insecure but never thought about writing them like this. I’ll take this into consideration.

Soul

just go watch Rance: quest for Hikari if you want an extreme douchebag I can't even call him that he's way worse but you stile like him in a weird way

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
just go watch Rance: quest for Hikari if you want an extreme douchebag I can't even call him that he's way worse but you stile like him in a weird way
i'd call him a rapist, but considering the genre i'd hold off my complaint and call him the best harem protagonist to date

maybe i have to ensure the bag will stay relevant throughout the story first

that aside i guess being a douche is kinda relevant to the perspective. is he being a jerk to everyone or just his enemies?

i guess i'd like the main character who's lovable to the ones who care about him, but if anyone tried to ruin his day, he could be much more evil, ruthless and petty than the antagonist.

and to the others who didn't give a damn about him, he'd just act like some inconsiderate jerk.

Last edited:

DDTStudios

I already have one. I described them a cocky/arrogant. They don’t care about anything in the world except themselves or their desired. In short, they are greedy and narcissistic and usually shamelessly, being an ass to guys and a gentleman to women. If you are doing a female character, do the same thing but in a more slutty/cute/infuriating way. Usually female scumbags, or should I say THOTs, in writing are more annoying. They clutch onto rich/powerful guys or just the main love interest and stomp on their competitors like ants to prevent them from getting in the way of their selfish desires.

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Just study Seto Kaiba and go from there :s_wink:
I totally agree, preferably from the abridged.

Or you can read Durarara and try writing a protag like Izaya Orihara, a douche that readers/viewers think of him as a douche but like him a lot at the same time.

Ekfreet

Take notes from Death Note or Tanya The Evil.

People don´t really get triggered by someone´s way of being but by what that someone does. Make him kill a few babies or rape a woman to satisfy a sudden impulse.

ZynGrand

The Winds Of Change Will Erode All Things.
So the easiest way would be to just think what you would do in that situation. Then, write about that.

Congratulations, you wrote a douche bag.

TowerGuy

I think Shirtaloon already did that, which is why he makes the big bucks off his patreon.

His protagonist isn't a douche with everyone though, just with people he dislikes. It's not a coincidence the author also makes the reader dislike these people most of the time. I'd say it's the Westernized version of "face slapping the young master."

Now that I think about it, most people enjoy that, so I guess there's some truth to your words, huh?! =P

As for his friends, he cares for them and is more playing than douche in my opinion.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
here's a challenge: write a likeable douche bag protagonist.
Can't Cure Deceit

Author has written this type of MC up really well.

First, you think he's just your average dbag. But then,
once you read about his backstory, you understand exactly why he acts the way he does. Why he has trust issues.
It is very well done. I am very impressed after the fact. :blob_sir:

xluferx

Always make excuses for your protagonist so he never feels guilt of his wrongdoings, like 'I yelled at my friend and other nice people just because they dared bring up an issue when I was really stressed.'