Books with amazing writing style

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
Share with me the book(s) with the best style you've read. If you could, share a fragment of it to help me decide which ones to buy.

I consider it's time for me to delve into the subject, to explore different styles to study and figure out how I want my own to be.

Jemini

I would like to know what you mean by style really. If you want something EXTREMELY different from the style we see today, I would suggest Bram Stoker's "Dracula," the original source of all the vampire lore.

He writes in a diary style, which is pretty much the literary equivalent of found footage videos like "The Blair Witch Project." Basically, a story told as though it's a collection of diary entries from a few different people's diaries, as though you are someone trying to piece together these events from the things written by the people who actually experienced it. It was pretty popular at the time Dracula was written, but not so much today. It's also told from the POV of multiple different characters.

There are still authors today who make use of the diary style, although that's only for short little entries and not for the entire book like they used to and like was done with Dracula.

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I would like to know what you mean by style really
Just the way it was written. I have only read the stories on this site and translations of Japanese and Chinese novels, so I lack examples about it from English books. I have read lots of books in Spanish, but it's not the same.

I got some books already, but I wanted to see different examples, to have more variety.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
"Visits to the Confabulatorium" by Soramimi Hanarejima

CryoHydra357

A Journey of black and red is quite good, you just have to get past the confusing first few chapters

StarEis

The World devouring serpent, it's better than almost every isekai out there and the POV of other characters are just there to hype you out while the mc accually has a working brain + humans have one too (ex, if a strong monster like mc drops a scale or two they immediately search for it and make use for it)

Ral

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

I know it is a controversial novel and where the term Loli comes from but the writing style is really distinct.

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

Ciaphas Cain book series (set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe) also has a distinct style. It is written like the protagonist himself is recounting his career.

One of the first things you learn as a commissar is that people are never pleased to see you, something that's no longer the case where I'm concerned, of course, now that my glorious and undeserved reputation precedes me wherever I go. A good rule of thumb in my younger days, but I'd never found myself staring down death in the eyes of the troopers I was supposed to be inspiring with loyalty to the Emperor before. In my early years as an occasionally loyal minion of his Glorious Majesty, I'd faced, or to be more accurate, ran away screaming from, orks, necrons, tyranids, and a severely hacked off daemon-host, just to pick out some of the highlights of my ignominious career.

My two examples are in first person POV. It is a POV that force you to write in the POV character's voice. I really like First Person POV. When done right, it brings the character to life. It is like you know the character intimately.

Last edited:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Books of Hemingway and Faulkner. These two have a polarizing style, but they were respectively one of the best in their field.

thedude3445

Lord of the Rings is just filled to the brim with personality in every scene thanks to the lovely prose.

JayDirex

Read Lord of the Flies by William Golding. it's how an isekai would really go down.

9780399501487_p0_v3_s550x406.jpg

Goswick

Drunken Australian
I love Cormac McCarthy's writing style, so if you have the chance, give Blood Meridian or The Road a read. They're both tremendous, and The Road is perhaps one of my personal favourite stories.

Also, I tend to try writing similar stuff in my own fics, so if you're keen to give it a shot and don't mind my flagrant attempt at self promo - I like to think Isekai Inc. has a rather unique writing style, especially during my more freeform "Inspeculator" scenes.

Anyway, sorry for the shameless self-promo lol. That aside, most of Cormac McCarthy's stuff is uniquely written, and alongside Franz Kafka (Author of The Metamorphosis), they're probably my favourite authors for their unique styles and subject matter. I'd recommend either one!

Generik0

Watership Down i guess. Richard Adams really does his work of suspense and brutality good. In fact when i first watched Watership Down(1978) i thought it was some sort of renaissance children movie but unfortunately i was wrong in a bad way. His work can be considered not for children while for children.

skillet

a frying pan
okay I'm cliche and I know it but

Jane Austen has one of my most favorite writing styles :blobtaco: lengthy and long and downright run-on sentences but that Regency England feel man
Pride and Prejudice or Emma's a good starting point; the first one's kinda known all over the place (DESERVEDLY SO fightme) but if you've never read the book, 15/10 would recommend!! :D