LitRPGs and trending! Attention required!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
We all know that LitRPGs are immensely popular for reasons of demographics and the inherent implications of such a system. :blob_evil_two: Even the greatest loser can become strong with a system.

Now that is not the issue. Being popular is not a problem per se, but it is definitely problematic when LitRPGs stories become too popular and begin to exert a negative influence on the diversity of webnovel writing in general.

What do I mean? Let's give a brief look at today's trending.

1594461913664.png

Overpowered Death Mage In Another World = LitRPG

Origin Seeker = LitRPG

Cinnamon Bun = LitRPG

Rat In The Dungeon = LitRPG

Arcflame, the strongest tree-growing dragon = non LitRPG

The Reincarnated Vampire Just Wants To Enjoy Her New Life = LitRPG

Unsightly Gluttony = non LitRPG

Why is my Harem World a Yandere Nightmare = LitRPG

Reborn as the Duke’s Daughter ~ The Goddesses are Ruining my Life! = non LitRPG

:blob_evil_two: As you can see, 6 out of 9 stories are derivatives of the LitRPG genre which is popular to a degree that it threatens the biodiversity on scribblehub, preventing non-LitRPG stories from entering the apex of exposure. Every author wants to get there, because trending means views, and views mean readers, and readers mean comment regardless of quality. Very simple formula.

- So what do I want? :blob_reach:

I want more exposure for non-LitRPG stories!

- How do I want to achieve that? :blob_reach:

Remove LitRPGs completely from trending and give them an own, separate trending list. Something like a special LitRPG trending bar just for them where they can mess with each other in a death match.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Go fuck yourself. I am doing this for people for you and not the story capitalist above
Go and just fuck yourself and your dictatorship of the majority.
You remember Barret Wallace in FF7 who tried to do good and ended up being branded as a terrorist not just by the corporation but by the people's he's also trying to help?

This is that same guy, except the scale is pathetically small and instead of a cool personality and a Gatling minigun for a hand he's just really angry with a keyboard full of frothy saliva.

BenJepheneT

I have to say, I'm actually reliant on the Latest Series and Recent Updates sections to find what I want to read. It's the only place that interesting but niche novels may turn up in. It's also the only place for reliable exposure.
@Assurbanipal_II if people REALLY want to read other genres, they'd do this, because they understand what the Trending tab is for. It's not for writers to get exposure. It's for readers to know what other readers are reading. You simply can't force other people to read your shit. All you can do is represent the smaller genres, because trying to cripple the big boys is gonna be a slippery slope you don't want to take.

- So what do I want? :blob_reach:

I want more exposure for non-LitRPG stories!
We all want this, but the solution you've given is fucking stupid.

This
Overall, I think it would be nice to have a general trending list for completely new users or users who just want to see what is generally liked by the people on the site and then give us the option to choose up to maybe 3 genres or so that we like and want to have a trending list for.
is infinitely better than
Remove LitRPGs completely from trending and give them an own, separate trending list. Something like a special LitRPG trending bar just for them where they can mess with each other in a death match.
whatever the fuck this is.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
@Assurbanipal_II if people REALLY want to read other genres, they'd do this, because they understand what the Trending tab is for. It's not for writers to get exposure. It's for readers to know what other readers are reading. You simply can't force other people to read your shit. All you can do is represent the smaller genres, because trying to cripple the big boys is gonna be a slippery slope you don't want to take.

We all want this, but the solution you've given is fucking stupid.

This

is infinitely better than

whatever the fuck this is.

I call this governmental intervention. Worked in the past. Works now.

Flashwolf96

@Assurbanipal_II @BenJepheneT

I understand that frustrations may boil over when debating with someone whose opinion differs from your own, but pointlessly slinging insults (containing profanity or otherwise) in the hopes of forcing the other person to accept your views does nothing except hurt the reputation of the community. Please be respectful towards each other, and remember that the final decision will likely lean towards whomever can construct a better argument, rather than whomever can hurt the others' feelings the most.

Sorry for interfering, and thank you.

BenJepheneT

@Assurbanipal_II @BenJepheneT

I understand that frustrations may boil over when debating with someone whose opinion differs from your own, but pointlessly slinging insults (containing profanity or otherwise) in the hopes of forcing the other person to accept your views does nothing except hurt the reputation of the community. Please be respectful towards each other, and remember that the final decision will likely lean towards whomever can construct a better argument, rather than whomever can hurt the others' feelings the most.

Sorry for interfering, and thank you.
If this was nothing but us hurling insults, I would listen to you. But it's not. I argued my points along with insults sprinkled in to really hammer home how wrong his thought process went.

So please, don't intervene with this mature, holier-than-thou attitude. It's condescending and it pisses me off, especially if you've specifically tagged us with bold. You can read damn well that my first insult was made along with my first rebuttal. And when he replied with nothing but double go-fuck-yourself's I returned the favour. Even then I supplemented it with two more posts after that to further elaborate on my arguement. Don't think you're standing on some moral high ground by pointing out some flaws we've made. You're not helping whatsoever.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Governmental intervention work on countries because people literally have nowhere else to go. They either die, or they follow what the great dictator says. This isn't a country. People can just get up and leave. People will just use other sites, like Royal Road, or even fucking Webnovel.

Flashwolf96

Holier-than-thou? I'm just being my normal self though.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that watching people insult each other leaves a bad taste in the mouth, regardless of who's in the right and who's in the wrong. Mature adults (or at least mature human beings) should be able to hold a discussion from different viewpoints without attacking each other. But my main concern is that this whole thing could very well leave a bad impression of what should be a respectful and considerate community.

Sorry if this comes across as condescending, but I actually was upset by the general insults you two were directing at each other. I don't like being insulted so I was afraid to post here, but I also don't like it when other people are insulted so I tried to put a stop to it. I didn't mean to join the argument, and I certainly didn't mean to make myself a target of your attacks. I'm very, very sorry for having offended you.

But you are right about one thing: I can clearly see I failed to make a difference, so I'll just leave now. Again, sorry for any offense taken, as it really wasn't my intention.

Ral

If this was nothing but us hurling insults, I would listen to you. But it's not. I argued my points along with insults sprinkled in to really hammer home how wrong his thought process went.
I kinda under what BenJepheneT.

I remember when I clashed with LamenThief. I can't describe with words how upset I was when people start telling me what a horrible person I am.

Last edited:

Epsil

Why are you bringing politics into this :sick: . This is nothing even remotely close to that. Not even viable / correct.

They form an oligopoly at this point and their grip needs to be destroyed like Standard Oil.

1) It's not an oligopoly. No-one stays on trending forever. The speculated barrier to enter trending is just... Having a good book that gets a decent amount of views and is growing. ITS THE BASICS. Sure LitRPG can give an initial edge to growth due to its popularity among the readers, but it is still up to the writer to maintain the quality of the book.

Go fuck yourself. I am doing this for people for you and not the story capitalist above.

2) Oof.

Go and just fuck yourself and your dictatorship of the majority.

3) Nobody's being forced to read here. There is no "One Novel That Rules Them All". It is not a dictatorship. The LitRPG genre doesn't control all the other genres as well.

4) No. Just No. Liking LitRPG is not a problem that needs an intervention. Having your hard work pay off by getting onto trending in no way needs an intervention. The only Intervention we need is Tony locking / responding to this thread. There is nothing constructive going on here at all. It started off well with other alternative ideas, but has deteriorated to people throwing arguments at each other without considering the other parties arguments.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that watching people insult each other leaves a bad taste in the mouth, regardless of who's in the right and who's in the wrong. Mature adults (or at least mature human beings) should be able to hold a discussion from different viewpoints without attacking each other. But my main concern is that this whole thing could very well leave a bad impression of what should be a respectful and considerate community.

Sorry if this comes across as condescending, but I actually was upset by the general insults you two were directing at each other. I don't like being insulted so I was afraid to post here, but I also don't like it when other people are insulted so I tried to put a stop to it. I didn't mean to join the argument, and I certainly didn't mean to make myself a target of your attacks. I'm very, very sorry for having offended you.

But you are right about one thing: I can clearly see I failed to make a difference, so I'll just leave now. Again, sorry for any offense taken, as it really wasn't my intention.
Just being my normal self well that says something about you doesn't it?

Now here's a little food for thought. Insults are made as a free form of discussion. It's a footnote added to the side that allows for more expression towards one's statement. It's certainly very easy to use it as a way to denounce the other person in a negative fashion, but I've used it in such a way that it doesn't take the spotlight. I only insult as an added bonus to my side of the discussion. I didn't go ogaabooloo and said nothing BUT insults. I used it sparingly as a side of my expression into the discussion. It certainly could do without, but who's to say I couldn't do with?

And who is it to say that mature people don't throw insults? I'm not saying mature people HAVE to throw insults, but to suggest that people who use insults, even sparingly, aren't considered MATURE ADULTS is a giant and general statement. I can both throw insults at someone and deal with one back in a mature fashion. And there's certainly people who can see the insults as just that, insults. They don't view it as a cage of chimpanzees flinging shit at each other in the zoo. They see two guys having a discourse online while shooting some insults between them, because they understand the context and can gauge the spare use of it in between.

I don't know what utopian vision of a caring and considerate community you have in your head, but it doesn't get any more caring and considerate than this. But to simply say "it leaves a bad taste for someone expecting for such a caring and considerate community" is just generalising the new folks around here. I can't speak for the general user base here, so I'll use myself as a perspective. If I see a forum in which I can't even call someone out for their bullshit even with a little insult, I don't see a charming community. I see a heavily restrictive, one-sided community that discourages any speech that would possibly harm another user's feelings. I would leave that forum because it doesn't feel like a forum. It feels like a vapid circle jerk where everyone cheers for each other and never goes beyond PC. I see a slippery slope where eventually, someone would cry wolf on what is only criticism and drama ensues. You could say I'm making monsters out of shadows, but I wouldn't feel like I'm in a discussion site but a verbal minefield where speech is put aside for what the mods assume as appropriate attitude. I like this forum because not only it allows coarse language to be spew (moderately, of course), the mod doesn't lean on any side of the discussion he sees fit and abuses his moderator powers for any speech he doesn't agree with.

You knew what you were saying when you typed out "mature adult". If that doesn't even let you see the moral high ground you're so obliviously standing upon, I don't know what else would.

Ral

SH is not this idealized vision you pictured.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Assurb doesn't seem to realize release filtering exists. If he really hates litRPG so much he can just filter it off his front page and wash his hands of his whole thing. If anyone else cared about it, they'd do the same thing.

So in light of this new knowledge, what do we now know? That this is a solution searching for a problem, because both readers and writers already have everything they need if they don't want to (or want to only) see a particular genre.