Recommendations Looking for Support Role MC

Cosmic

I'm looking for novels (translated, original, quest, or fanfic) with MCs who have a support role and is really good at it.

So something like them being a healer, a group's strategist, provider/maker of equipment, person in charge of finances or logistics, a bulter/maid, a house-spouse, a mentor/teacher, the manager of an idol group, someone that can give their teammate buffs, or is just really good as a moral support, best friend, being a wingman and adviser, etc.

If the story focuses on a strong adventurer group, I want the MC to be on the back lines or not on the battlefield at all. It'd be nice if they weren't a fighter at all. I much prefer the MC to be the dad/mom/manager/adviser of the group and the one that take care of the group's logistics, selling of loot, caring for their physical and mental health, planning their training, mapping their hunting area, maintaining their equipment, etc.

I'm want more focus on the effects of the MC's actions and presence. Even better if we can see things from others point of view.

I want the MC to feel a sense of pride in helping other and being proud in the achievement of others such as his teammates/family/friends/clients.

Less focus on the MC being awesome and more on how awesome the people helped by MC were able to be due to his support. I want the MC to not be the center stage.

Last edited:

TachimeSan

The first thing that comes to my mind is a Japanese LN called "Is it tough being a friend?"

Another is a scribble original "Harem Protagonist Sidekick"

Cosmic

The first thing that comes to my mind is a Japanese LN called "Is it tough being a friend?"

Another is a scribble original "Harem Protagonist Sidekick"
I've read both, and I've enjoyed them, but they aren't what I'm looking for. Thanks tho!

Is It Tough Being a Friend? is more focused on the harem and comedy aspect. Harem Protagonist Sidekick is more focused on the romance. There isn't much of the MC actually playing support. The MCs basically become a capital P, Protagonist themselves or even become THE Protagonist. I'm looking for a something where the story is about the MC being a part of someone else's.

It's not like the MC can't have their own moments, story, and glory, but most of the Mob Protagonist MC stories focus way too much on the MC and often overshadow all the other characters. The spotlight is on the MC nearly the entire time, and the others are in the background even when those others are the "real/original protagonists."

I want a story where the MC is at the wings of the stage behind the curtains applauding as the actors and cast bow to the audience. I want that proud dad/mom/teacher feeling. I want the focus to be split between the MC and other characters. I want more moments of the MC working behind the scenes, working on the script, making the props, taking care of the actors, etc. with the best moments being when everything comes together and the play goes for real. Then the curtain starts to close and the cast give personal thanks to the crew(MC).

Last edited:

TachimeSan

Mhmm.. try "how a realist hero built a kingdom"

The MC there is a person from modern Japan transported to another world. He isn't given any powers or cheats, he gets transported as what he is, a normal person (Extremely weak for the new world's standard) with knowledge of modern day tech and philosophy.

He instead chooses to rely on his, more capable, subordinates for things he's not really good at.

Most of the time he just sits back and watches the events unfold. He doesn't really do anything directly.

D

Deleted member 29316

I don't know if you'd like my work, but the MC is a strategist/teacher/moral support. He got no cheat skills though.

Koda

"The Strongest Clan’s Master Is the Weakest and Most Evil Support Class ~Even with a Fail Job「Talker」, with My Brains and Dependable Allies’ Abilities, I’m the World’s Strongest Seeker~"

Took me a while to find this, but if you haven't read it already, this is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

PandaSempai

I've read both, and I've enjoyed them, but they aren't what I'm looking for. Thanks tho!

Is It Tough Being a Friend? is more focused on the harem and comedy aspect. Harem Protagonist Sidekick is more focused on the romance. There isn't much of the MC actually playing support. The MCs basically become a capital P, Protagonist themselves or even become THE Protagonist. I'm looking for a something where the story is about the MC being a part of someone else's.

It's not like the MC can't have their own moments, story, and glory, but most of the Mob Protagonist MC stories focus way too much on the MC and often overshadow all the other characters. The spotlight is on the MC nearly the entire time, and the others are in the background even when those others are the "real/original protagonists."

I want a story where the MC is at the wings of the stage behind the curtains applauding as the actors and cast bow to the audience. I want that proud dad/mom/teacher feeling. I want the focus to be split between the MC and other characters. I want more moments of the MC working behind the scenes, working on the script, making the props, taking care of the actors, etc. with the best moments being when everything comes together and the play goes for real. Then the curtain starts to close and the cast give personal thanks to the crew(MC).
Maybe you could read that LN called Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita(I don't know if I got the spelling right). Anyway, as the title suggests, the MC was reincarnated as a sword and is supporting the cat loli MC no. 2 in their journey. I called the cat Loli MC no.2 because they are mostly together after they met each other.

Cosmic

"The Strongest Clan’s Master Is the Weakest and Most Evil Support Class ~Even with a Fail Job「Talker」, with My Brains and Dependable Allies’ Abilities, I’m the World’s Strongest Seeker~"

Took me a while to find this, but if you haven't read it already, this is pretty much exactly what you're looking for.
Thanks, I check it out!
Maybe you could read that LN called Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita(I don't know if I got the spelling right). Anyway, as the title suggests, the MC was reincarnated as a sword and is supporting the cat loli MC no. 2 in their journey. I called the cat Loli MC no.2 because they are mostly together after they met each other.
Read it and loved it. It definitely the closest to what I'm looking for. Thx.
Does whore count as a support role?
It depends. Does the actions of the whore in any way support, improve, or contribute to the well-being and achievements of the supported?

If it's just normal sex and smut stuff, it wouldn't count unless the story has a focus on how a whore can provide emotional, psychological, etc. support in bettering the supported and supported's efforts toward their own goals.

If it's some sort of fantasy smut where sexual acts can boost stats, then it'd count, though it should actually talk about or show the effects of the stat boosts and the supported's reactions, goals, responses, and circumstances.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
If it's some sort of fantasy smut where sexual acts can boost stats, then it'd count, though it should actually talk about or show the effects of the stat boosts and the supported's reactions, goals, responses, and circumstances.

Looks at the sentence. Looks at my own series.
Ekhm. Well... If you'd like a Slice of Life story with a lot of worldbuilding and the things you described (but not only limited to sexual acts), I'd say you can take a peek at the thing in my signature. Although I only published 6 chappies rn, I've written 12 so far and they don't stop coming.

I really don't want to say too much because of spoilers, but a lot of things that you mentioned are in it. And I think you might enjoy the system and how it is actually introduced and not just "exists for the convenience".

If you want to know some details, I can talk with u in PM's or Discord. MC while being the MC is not the only "main character" in the story and actually plays a supportive job. He is/was a teacher and I guess it's not a spoiler if I say that at some point he will be managing a brothel. Like managing managing. Not just a single sentence did that finished that. He's a caring and helpful type.

Last edited:

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
I'm looking for novels (translated, original, quest, or fanfic) with MCs who have a support role and is really good at it.

So something like them being a healer, a group's strategist, provider/maker of equipment, person in charge of finances or logistics, a bulter/maid, a house-spouse, a mentor/teacher, the manager of an idol group, someone that can give their teammate buffs, or is just really good as a moral support, best friend, being a wingman and adviser, etc.

If the story focuses on a strong adventurer group, I want the MC to be on the back lines or not on the battlefield at all. It'd be nice if they weren't a fighter at all. I much prefer the MC to be the dad/mom/manager/adviser of the group and the one that take care of the group's logistics, selling of loot, caring for their physical and mental health, planning their training, mapping their hunting area, maintaining their equipment, etc.

I'm want more focus on the effects of the MC's actions and presence. Even better if we can see things from others point of view.

I want the MC to feel a sense of pride in helping other and being proud in the achievement of others such as his teammates/family/friends/clients.

Less focus on the MC being awesome and more on how awesome the people helped by MC were able to be due to his support. I want the MC to not be the center stage.
If you're okay with manga

PandaSempai

Oh, there's also the Lazy Dungeon Master novel. Even though that futa Leona ruined it for me, it was still a great novel.(they also added that trap character which was not introduced in the original WN).

Keima mostly acts as the supporting character of Rokuko and her dungeon so I guess it fits your criterion?

PandaSempai

Death March also, somewhat, fit your criteria. I said somewhat since he sometimes solves problems on his own.

Draculus-del-Viafat

I don't know if it counts, but the MC of my novel MoS down there *spoiler attention* works as an assistant. Maybe you'll get interested in how I describe everything from her point of view (not POV). Don't get deceived by that in the first three chapters there's no information I mention here, it'll appear quite soon. Click here ⬇

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends. Does the actions of the whore in any way support, improve, or contribute to the well-being and achievements of the supported?

If it's just normal sex and smut stuff, it wouldn't count unless the story has a focus on how a whore can provide emotional, psychological, etc. support in bettering the supported and supported's efforts toward their own goals.
Yep! She improves the lives of both her clients.
Here's Chapter 7 as an example:

sereminar

I really love the idea. Unfortunately i only know of one that really matches well :(

Astralfice
" Yesterday, Astrid's biggest concern was how to pay her rent. Now, an encounter with a beautiful and seemingly immortal young woman has shattered her once-normal life. Astrid is drawn into a dangerous tournament, in which competitors pilot giant robots in wrestling matches. Will Astrid be able to help her team to victory, or will her social anxiety get the better of her?"