Preparing for SSSC III: Prompt Suggestions

TwilightForest

Being myself
Prompt:

A man finds himself time-travelling back in his High school days and finds his childhood friend (who will be his wife in future) hopelessly in love with the most popular guy in the class. He tries to win her at any cost. Will he able to win her affection? Will the future change?

D.Dimitrov

[Trash Talker]
Prompt: A person is kidnapped and wakes up in a dark room. (You are free to decide the age and gender of the person, also you can decide to write the actual kidnapping or ignore it and start with the waking up.)

TwilightForest

Being myself
Prompt: A person is kidnapped and wakes up in a dark room. (You are free to decide the age and gender of the person, also you can decide to write the actual kidnapping or ignore it and start with the waking up.)
Hmm...I'll make you the protagonist of this story.

S.D.Mills

Prompt: A college student is enjoying a Friday night in the city with friends when they end up separated from the rest of the group. When they realize they are lost and have no ride home, they try to call one of their friends. Just then, the entire internet backbone goes dark.

Dragon

Prompt: A wizard fails his hero summoning and now he can't move his (insert body part here) . . . It turns out the hero's mind was transferred into the wizard's (insert body part here) . . . how will the hero slay the demon lord when he is the wizard's (insert boy part here)?

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Prompt: A wizard fails his hero summoning and now he can't move his (insert body part here) . . . It turns out the hero's mind was transferred into the wizard's (insert body part here) . . . how will the hero slay the demon lord when he is the wizard's (insert boy part here)?
:ROFLMAO:
So you see the demon lord is female and the prophecy was not to slay the demon lord but to lay the demon lord.
lay the dragons you mean xd

Dountmindme

You wot m8? You wanna go, huh? Come at me bro, y—
How about this for a prompt:

What if when you sleep you see your self. And you can’t control the dream either. What if those dreams are you but from an alternate realty.

All you can do is watch. Watch, yourself, and this world. Watch it all unfold before your very eyes.

You can’t interact with yourself, the people, things, and that reality.

Your other self can have a bless-full life. Or, they could be your worst possible reality.

Obviously it doesn’t have to be you. It can be a character’s life.

And yes, you’d be writing about that character sees in the alternate reality. And that reality is only seen once he/she goes to sleep.

I guess this prompt can be called: A reality you dream, but it’s not yours??

Idk.

mrsimple

Writer
How about this for a prompt:

What if when you sleep you see your self. And you can’t control the dream either. What if those dreams are you but from an alternate realty.

All you can do is watch. Watch, yourself, and this world. Watch it all unfold before your very eyes.

You can’t interact with yourself, the people, things, and that reality.

Your other self can have a bless-full life. Or, they could be your worst possible reality.

Obviously it doesn’t have to be you. It can be a character’s life.

And yes, you’d be writing about that character sees in the alternate reality. And that reality is only seen once he/she goes to sleep.

I guess this prompt can be called: A reality you dream, but it’s not yours??

Idk.
I already dream stuff like that, though, and it's weird. Not meaning the dream is weird, but because whatever I dream is completely unrelated and oddly strange for me to have any form of knowledge of whatever happens to be going on. Like my other "self" is doing stuff I shouldn't know how to do or have never thought of doing. o_o

lilyWhiteRose

prompt: the trolley problem. a character has to make a choice between killing one person to save 10 people, or 10 people to save one person. i like it when people think outside the box for this one.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
Prompt: A person wakes up and they have a strange feeling that they lost something very very important -- but what did they lose? It seems like they can't remember......
I like these 2 prompts because they don't necessarily limit the genre of the novel (modern day, fantasy, etc.). For me, I like writing prompts that give more freedom than boxing you in. It's also more fun as a reader due to having more variety as a result.

Prompt: A college student is enjoying a Friday night in the city with friends when they end up separated from the rest of the group. When they realize they are lost and have no ride home, they try to call one of their friends. Just then, the entire internet backbone goes dark.
This one I like only because it can transform into a Zombie Apocalypse world, which is one of my favorite genres. But you can definitely take it other ways too.

Just my 2 cents.

Bluebery

Serpent Keeper
Are you curious about time travel?

One day, the MC has an interesting idea of testing if it's possible to travel back in time. He writes a letter and put it inside a bottle, then buries it under an apple tree. The bottle contains the mailing information of his as well as today date. He thinks that when time travel becomes possible in the future, he can just dig the letter up, travel back in time and send himself a confirmation mail.

Well, a letter arrives in the MC's mailbox just a day after.

He opens it.

Dear me, the world is going to end in 2050. The girl next door is the one who will destroy it. Please kill her.

Bluebery

Serpent Keeper
A witch cursed a human child for no reason.

When the child grows up, he won't be able to cut off any hair from his body, as the hair will grow harder than steel.

To break the curse, he has to find the legendary Shampoo of Cure, which is currently in the possession of a mighty Demon Lord.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Ngl I feel like most of these prompts, I've read somewhere in a manga before

mrsimple

Writer
Prompt: Noble Freedom
The story starts with a cliche noble family that arranged a child to be forced into marriage with yet another powerful house. The little tyke doesn't know the significant other at all. As this blue-blooded kid grows, so does their ambitions, but all their family talks about is how well off they all will be once this union between houses is finalized.

Well, what if that child grows up with a goal set on breaking away from that engagement? They want to grow up to be their own person, not be what they were born with and live the rest of their life in golden shackles. But what will they do to end their tie that binds them to a fiance they never got to know? And when they do break away from that noble cause, what's the the life of a fallen noble going to be like? Did they think that far ahead or had they wanted to experience a world without obligations for just one moment? Did they feel what they'd done was right for them or had it become one big mistake? What if the other noble house doesn't acknowledge their decision was correct? Are they safe from retribution? Was the price of true freedom really worth it?

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
prompt: the trolley problem. a character has to make a choice between killing one person to save 10 people, or 10 people to save one person. i like it when people think outside the box for this one.
I pondered the possibilities. If I were to kill one person, ten people would be saved. But if I were to kill the one person, wouldn't that mean I have resigned this innocent life to death just so I can save more people?

Therefore, I steeled my heart and pressed the button. The mine cart rolled down the rail, making a loud noise that for some reason, neither of the victims found to be a cause for alarm. Any fucking person would've jumped out of the way, but no, these idiots just stood there looking at the approaching mine cart. Dumbass.

As the mine cart smashed against the group of ten people, I smiled in satisfaction at a job well done. Why did I choose to kill the ten people and not that one person? Why do you care? They're just a bunch of murderers, robbers, traitors and child rapists anyway.

Oh, is it tea time?

TLCsDestiny

As I've mentioned before on the SSSC II thread, for this competition, I'll be experimenting with using 3 different prompts to give the authors a variety of options. Now how do we select the prompt?

Well... you guys have the opportunity to suggest for this upcoming competition! Others can like your suggestions and I'll consider what's the most fitting, popular and appropriate for the competition.

Remember that the prompt can be an audio, a picture or a writing prompt!

Theme: Breaking from the mundane

Forgive me for probably looking like an idiot here but I am not 100% sure what you mean by this theme. Is it breaking away from being unimaginative and ordinary or something to do with earth as contrasted with heaven (Or whatever).

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Forgive me for probably looking like an idiot here but I am not 100% sure what you mean by this theme. Is it breaking away from being unimaginative and ordinary or something to do with earth as contrasted with heaven (Or whatever).
Well, the theme itself have multiple meanings. I just wanted to see what people can think of when they are presented with that theme. It is about breaking away from the ordinary in either writing sense or plot sense.