Webnovel Is Bugged To All Hell

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
I don't understand the interface to that site. Simple things are just...wrong. For example, I can't change my profile pic on the main site from when I made the account 2 years ago. I click it, change it, save changes, and then nothing. Then, I can't figure out how to switch to dark mode. No option in settings. And it's not at the bottom of the screen either like it is on other certain sites. Do they just not have the option?

Then the forums....I can't even add a profile pic at all. Literally no button to push to allow me to do so. I just don't understand.

And on top of that, I posted a message in the forums about this almost a week ago...and instead of answering me, it was somehow deleted. No idea why or even when this happened. How is it so bugged?

Don't tell me to download the app. Fuck the app. I'm using it on desktop or not at all.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Make sure there's no "m" for "mobile" in the url you're using.

Discount_Blade

Make sure there's no "m" for "mobile" in the url you're using.
no there is no M. The site is just....terrible. And people keep saying download thje app. Fuck the app!!! I'm not using it on a phone even though I have one. If I can't get it to function on my desktop, where it should be way simpler...why would I take the time to download the app? If I HAVE to use the app, I'd just as soon not use the site at all.

MR.DANTE

I suggest you give up, webnovel site is shit, almost all the profile option doesn't work unless you are using the app, no big surprise since it's a Chinese company and there mobile app are way more popular, no excuse but it save money I guess

Discount_Blade

I suggest you give up, webnovel site is shit, almost all the profile option doesn't work unless you are using the app, no big surprise since it's a Chinese company and there mobile app are way more popular, no excuse but it save money I guess
Yeah this will probably be my course of action. Someone mentioned I should use it and (when the times comes for me to), to post my stuff there before some asshole decided to steal my stuff and post it on there. But man....that site is trash.

I'm still mindblown by the lack of even simple features like italics and bold...

No italics and bold on a writing site. What in the actual fuck??? There is NO EXCUSE for that. None whatsoever. If you can't manage simple italics and bold....you don't need to be hosting a writing/reading site. You just suck. Hard.

Like 90%+ of the users use the app. The site doesn't get much attention, just like how SH and RR don't have mobile apps at all.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
no idea what that means but I'm 70% sure I'll laugh if I looked it up.
动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

Just set your name with ANY phrase in this copypasta and you're golden

Discount_Blade

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

Just set your name with ANY phrase in this copypasta and you're golden
'Tiananmen1989' or 'TaiwanIsRealChina' would work too.

Could also use 'FreeTibet'.
You guys are killing me XDD!!!

Discount_Blade

just noticed that winmax1 guy's comment got deleted....does that mean China got 'em?

Bladedante

Lol honestly if you are a writer avoid webnovel like it's the plague or read their terms of service last I looked anything you post on their website you give them ownership rights of meaning if later down the line you decide to sell it on amazon they can legally sue you for all of your profits ect.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Lol honestly if you are a writer avoid webnovel like it's the plague or read their terms of service last I looked anything you post on their website you give them ownership rights of meaning if later down the line you decide to sell it on amazon they can legally sue you for all of your profits ect.
It's sleazy. Basically, anyone with the inability to read the fine print or anyone who just couldn't care less gets snared within the bear trap. The latter knows better to leave after but who knows about the former? They'll be willing give their artistic freedom for a lobster up the ass just because "that's how it works, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I don't understand the interface to that site. Simple things are just...wrong. For example, I can't change my profile pic on the main site from when I made the account 2 years ago. I click it, change it, save changes, and then nothing. Then, I can't figure out how to switch to dark mode. No option in settings. And it's not at the bottom of the screen either like it is on other certain sites. Do they just not have the option?

Then the forums....I can't even add a profile pic at all. Literally no button to push to allow me to do so. I just don't understand.

And on top of that, I posted a message in the forums about this almost a week ago...and instead of answering me, it was somehow deleted. No idea why or even when this happened. How is it so bugged?

Don't tell me to download the app. Fuck the app. I'm using it on desktop or not at all.

I think they intentionally make the website hard to use for mobile. For example, on my tablet if I am on the mobile site, it lags a lot. If I am on the mobile site in desktop mode, it's 10X smoother. Which means they have some code which lags up the computer if it detects a mobile user agent.

For dark mode, open a chapter, click on it, then click the sun on the bottom

Daitengu

I fear the Huawei backer of webnovel. Only idiots would use real ID and/or buy coins. Considering Huawei's known for it's 5G back doors, I wouldn't put it past them to make webnovel fork over user info.

But yeah webnovel sucks. Doesn't even have advanced search function. Also doesn't help that you can search by completed series, but most listed are dropped. Forever unfinished. The exact opposite of complete.

DreamOfRen

1) login
2) click the icon of your avatar in top right.
3) click the name URL link in the drop down display. (on hover it says 'My profile')
4) Click edit profile on the page that shows up.
5) Edit profile.

DreamOfRen

Also full disclosure, WN contracts are practically legalized slavery.
I would never sign one about any web fiction or work you care about on their site.

IF you're going to monetize it, you should just come up with a concept specifically for that site / app. and never use the same pen name that you use anywhere else.

Due to their TOS, once you sign under a certain pen name, you give up the rights to EVERYTHING you write under that pen name during the time you are contracted to them.

This also includes future profits / revenue from your concept. (For example, if you get popular enough to get a movie or anime, they own that as well if its based on your book or anything you write under your current pen name while contracted with them).

Furthermore, they generally lock you into a 500,000 to 2 million word contract with a minimum of 1,500 words a day within a 2 year time span.

You lose ALL creative control over your story, they can even replace you at any time and you can't complain.

Those are literally some of the terms of their contract.

Source?
ME almost signing my soul away to Tencent.

*Edit*
I also suspect that most writers there barely average about 200-500$ a month as contracted writers. I haven't been able to get anyone to tell me about what they actually get paid. But i know the 100,000$ is only possible if you're in the top 100 on the site and only if you're really -- really good at getting people to pay for your monetized work.

Last edited: