TIL Research Post/Thread/Section?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45782

Hi. Just wondering, would it be cool if there was a section specifically dedicated to writers sharing what they have researched for their stories? Sort of like a Today-I-learned thing. It'd be interesting to learn about stuff others have researched up on for their writings. Even the most random-est interesting stuff. Maybe it might help others with some of the ideas they want to incorporate into their stories too.

JayDirex

Did you learn anything interesting in writing today? :blob_popcorn::blob_reach:

D

Deleted member 45782

Did you learn anything interesting in writing today? :blob_popcorn::blob_reach:
Well...I never thought much into it but I saw a YouTube comment on a video of a starfish walking on a beach yesterday.

It mentioned that starfish has a hole in the center and that is their mouth. That I know but then...

The comment also mentioned mermaids love wearing starfishes as a bra...

👀

Not something really new learned, but...interesting thought.

Also, same place starfish eats is same place where it poops things out.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Oh boy. Do I have some death statistics from Chicago for you.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Is this suppose to be serious or a joke I don't understand? Just gonna say i'm on asia...
I mean it's serious. I was doing a lot of research into a specific city's death statistics over the years for something I'm writing. I literally finished that and then opened this thread.

namio

I didn't watch over 2 hours of jian and dao reviews for nothing okay... on top of another Youtuber's reviews of the jians.
In short: I Just Think scholagladitoria's (and Skallagrim's) reviews of LK Chen's swords to be extremely interesting, given the additional context of the military swords of that era.
Scholagladitoria's review of Tang dao
Scholagladitoria's review of Han jian

But if I must choose the most interesting ones, it's probably the way the Japanese "refurbished" daos that came from China to continue using them/retrofitted it in accordance to the time's aesthetics, and how it affected historians' attempts at dating those swords. Also, this was in another video, but I'm somewhat surprised that the jians were phased out of the military in Han dynasty... I never did get into Chinese history outside of the context of what I'm reading, but 200 AD ish feels really early. A testament to how old the civilization is, I suppose... Also, 8-sided sword profile in early Han jians was a leftover from when they made swords out of bronze.

D

Deleted member 45782

I posted this under the Feature Request too if anyone's interested in voting for it.