Any good sentient NPC novel?

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Does anyone know a novel that features an NPC gaining sentience and like going against the code?
I guess you could say one of my series is like that, at least he’s trying to find a way to go against the code. I AM NPC69. In the process of writing the second volume for it but it’s still a while away from being done.

As for whether people think it’s good or not, no idea.

Last edited:

Daitengu

I found the perspective to be interesting and logical in it's own way. It's what you get when the MC has limited knowledge.

Agentt

Thighs
Yeah, no. Not me. I totally don't have an AI.

Okay, but, like, if you are ready for some really absurd comedy, and lot of 4th wall jokes, I have one...with an AI villian, but there are very few fight scenes. Like..I have almost 70 chapters, and only 1 scene till now.
Let me tell you again. It's a real trash. Though some may call it satire.

Read from chapter 42. The rest chapters are totally unnecessary. Just start from chapter 42.

Last edited:

Napelynn

skillet

a frying pan
Does anyone know a novel that features an NPC gaining sentience and like going against the code?
It's not litrpg/game world npc nor a novel, but try July Found By Chance (webtoon, school life romance)-- didn't read to the end, but it was pretty intriguing how they handled that.
(I'm keeping this vague to avoid as much spoilers as possible D: asldkfj)

Mythonian

Pieces of Sonder by MintyMintyMilkTea (at chapter 80 on Royal Road, if you read there as well)

Not technically the same, since the game brought players to a real world. It's about a native being brought into the game, so some interesting perspectives and some high quality writing.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀

Hadassah

Well, currently my ongoing novel is about a world who’s natives are about 60% certain they are a computer simulation created and occasionally puppeted by an invisible system to serve as backdrop to the outsiders masquerading as superheroes. Everyone is ‘sentient’, but the locals are all slaves to the system.

The POV is from a human (so far as they know) but it seems to hit a lot of the beats you are talking about. I am currently posting two chapters a week, with another coming up later today.