How to write 1D characters

Agentt

Thighs
There have been a lot of threads on how to create 'relatable' or 'alive' characters.

But we really haven't done the opposite yet.

So, I was going through some books, and one of them was from my childhood, and I was marvelled!

A villian whose only trait is that he wears purple clothes.

A character whose only trait is that he speaks broken English.

A hero whose only trait is that he is always scared and gives in to peer pressure.

A princess whose only trait is that she will marry the guy who defeats the villian.

And I was like, "Damn, I can't do that! Like, all my characters have this useless thing called 'personality' and waste many lines stating their background and preferences. Plus they have these garbage things called family, that I can't seem to get rid at all!

Turns out I was wrong, a true villian is one who kidnaps children because he is evil and laughs menacingly between the sentences.
I can't do that, my power level is too low!

So, any tips on how to create a complete 1D character?

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
You haven’t truly mastered the art until you create a zero dimensional character. Characters that are just there in the background. Why they’re there? You don’t know. What do they look like, no idea. What do they do? Your guess is as good as mine. What are they like? Nothing, they just exist for the sake of saying they exist for some reason.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
There have been a lot of threads on how to create 'relatable' or 'alive' characters.

But we really haven't done the opposite yet.

So, I was going through some books, and one of them was from my childhood, and I was marvelled!

A villian whose only trait is that he wears purple clothes.

A character whose only trait is that he speaks broken English.

A hero whose only trait is that he is always scared and gives in to peer pressure.

A princess whose only trait is that she will marry the guy who defeats the villian.

And I was like, "Damn, I can't do that! Like, all my characters have this useless thing called 'personality' and waste many lines stating their background and preferences. Plus they have these garbage things called family, that I can't seem to get rid at all!

Turns out I was wrong, a true villian is one who kidnaps children because he is evil and laughs menacingly between the sentences.
I can't do that, my power level is too low!

So, any tips on how to create a complete 1D character?
It ain't hard to make a character with just one dick, I reckon.

atgongumerki

stop describing things, then even if they have personality and family we will never know of them

Agentt

Thighs
Just give them a goatee, that's all the characterisation you need

Also keep in mind that 1D characters can't go around each other since they're all stuck on the one line /s
What if I write in Morse code?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I have three important (ish to arc one) characters and they are all named William, yes they are all old bastards who have white hair, slouched back and goatee.

Can't spent too much limited english names on one offs, the sub villain who is slightly bigger than MC is called "the ruffian", I will now proceed to call all my one offs by their shirt color.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Either you start off with 2D first or basically write an idiot with no common sense. Now that I think of it, it kinda is interesting writing a 1D MC being oblivious of anything in the world while being surrounded by 2D or real world people....

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Either you start off with 2D first or basically write an idiot with no common sense. Now that I think of it, it kinda is interesting writing a 1D MC being oblivious of anything in the world while being surrounded by 2D or real world people....
We have those IRL. We don't need the book versions thanks.

Jemini

Once again, the answer is simple. Write a kid's book and really gear it toward kids. Don't do any of that ko-viewing stuff like that piece of trash "Animainiacs" or "Avitar the Last Airbender."

That strictly for kids writing stuff is the venue in which these 1D characters shine instead of dragging the story down. So, in order to fit to what works, any skilled author will naturally make their characters 1D in order to conform to the format.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Become a 1D character yourself and you'll come to what seeks before you - a whole new world, a pretty complicated yet enormously enlightening existence.